Pitsea 1848 Whites directory

Pitsea 1848 Whites directoryPITSEA, a village and parish, 5 miles W.S.W. of Rayleigh, and 4½ miles N.of the Thames, is at the head of a creek which runs up from that river at the west end of Canvey Island. It includes part of that island, and contains 304 souls, and 2048 acres ofland, mostly a … Read more

Orsett 1848 Whites directory

Orsett 1848 Whites directoryORSETT, a large and pleasant village, 9 miles S. by W. of Billericay, 5 miles N. of Tilbury Fort, and 12 miles E.S.E. of Romford, gives name to a large UNION. Its parish comprises 1390 inhabitants, and 4136 acres of land, including the village of BAKER STREET, about a mile W. of … Read more

Nevendon 1848 Whites directory

Nevendon 1848 Whites directoryNEVENDON, or Newendon, is a small parish and straggling village, in a pleasant valley, 4 miles S.E. by E. ofBillericay, containing 216 souls, and 974 acres of land. Before the Conquest, it was held by three proprietors, and it afterwards passed to the Mareschall, Fitz-Lewis, Berdeford, Blackmore, Bavin, and Eachus families. It … Read more

Mucking 1848 Whites directory

Mucking 1848 Whites directoryMUCKING, a small scattered village, near a small creek of the river Thames, 4 miles N.N.E. of Tilbury Fort, and 10 miles S. of Billericay, has in its parish 199 souls, and 2146 acres of cultivated land, and about 200 acres of open heath and waste. The south-east part is low but … Read more

Langdon 1848 Whites directory

Langdon 1848 Whites directoryLAINDON, or Langdon Clay, is a pleasant village, on the northern declivity of the Laindon Hills, 34 miles S. by E. of Billericay, and 7miles S.E. by E. of Brentwood. Its parish contains 568 inhabitants, and 2300 acres of land, exclusive of Basildon chapelry, which is consolidated with it ecclesiastically, under the … Read more

Hutton 1848 Whites directory

Hutton 1848 Whites directoryHUTTON, a pleasant village on the road between the two towns, 3 miles E. of Brentwood, and 2½ miles W. of Billericay, has in its parish 449 souls and 1699 acres of land, watered by two sources of the river Wid. It was given by the Conqueror to Battle Abbey, and was … Read more