Epping Whites Directory in 1863
EPPING is a small market town, consisting chiefly of one long and wide street upon a high ridge of table land on the Harlow road, and on the borders of Epping Forest, 16½ miles N.E. by N. of London, 17 miles W. by S. of Chelmsford, and 6 miles E.N.E. of Waltham Abbey. Though it is more than 350 feet above the level of the sea, it is well supplied with water from land springs. The London and Loughton Railway is about to be extended to Epping, and a company was formed in October, 1862, for establishing Gas Works at Epping. Its Parish is extensive, comprising 5695 acres of land and 2102 inhabitants, of whom 1821 are in the town and immediate suburbs; about 330 in EPPING-UPLAND chapelry, about two miles N. of the town, where the parish church is inconveniently situated; and about 104 in Ryehill hamlet, about three miles N. of the town, near Epping Green. Epping Union Workhouse , and several houses on the east side of the town, are in the parish of Thoydon-Garnon, in Ongar Hundred. The town is a polling-place for the Southern Division of Essex, and has a Market for the sale of corn and cattle every Friday, when Petty Ssssions are held at the Police Station. It has a fair for cattle, &c. , on Whit-Tuesday, and has another cattle fair on November 13th, and a statute fair for hiring servants on October 12th. Its market supplies London with great quantities of butter, pork, and sausages, and the town is enlivened with much fashionable company during the hunting season. The Easter Stay Hunt was commenced in the forest in 1226, when King Henry III. confirmed to the citizens of London free warren, or liberty to hunt in the forests of Epping and Hainault. Formerly the Lord Mayor and Aldermen attended on Easter Monday, when a stag was turned out. The Hon. John Anthony Ashley, who has a pleasant seat in the parish called COPT HALL, is lord of the manors of Epping Bury, Epping Presbytery, Chambers, and Campions. These manors comprise the whole parish, and the copyholds are partly subject to certain and partly to arbitrary fines.
Sir William B. Smijth, Bart. , J. A. Houblon, Esq. , T. C. Marsh, Esq., and many other free and copyholders have estates here, COPT HALL, Or COPPED HALL, is a stately and elegant mansion, in the centre of an extensive park at the north end of the forest, and about a mile S.W. of the town, on the crown of a finely-wooded hill commanding beautiful prospects, and rising in a succession of groves and plantations from the lower grounds, which extend northward to the small river Cobbin, which has its sources near the north end of the parish, and flows westward to the Lea, near Waltham Abbey.
The mansion is a large and nearly square building of white bricks, much admired for the closeness of the joints and the symmetry of their forms, having been cast in iron moulds made expressly for the purpose. It was built between the years 1753 and 1757, but was afterwards greatly improved under the direction of Mr. Jas. Wyatt.
The old hall stood a little further to the west, within the bounds of Waltham parish, and was built in the reign of Elizabeth, by Sir Thomas Henneage, on the site of one erected in the 13th century by Richard Fitzauchre. Near Copped Hall Park, on the south-east side, are traces of an ancient camp called Ambreys, or Ambersbury Banks, and supposed to be of British origin. This entrenchment is now overgrown with old oaks and hornbeams. It was formerly in the heart of the forest, and there was no road near to it till the present turnpike from London to Epping was made. This road passes within a hundred yards of it, but it is obscured from view by the wood that covers it. Its figure is irregular, and the area contains nearly 12 acres, encompassed by a ditch and high bank, much worn downby time.
EPPING FOREST, formerly called Waltham Forest, and in more remote ages, the Forest of Essex, comprises about 60,000 acres in this and the adjacent Hundreds of Becontree and Ongar; but the greater part of it has been grubbed up, and the land cultivated, or left in large open commons, at various periods.
It is under the jurisdiction of the Commissioners of the Crown Woods and Forests, who, during the last thirty years, have sold many parcels of it as building sites, pleasure grounds, and farms.
The title of Lord Warden of the Forest is hereditary in the family of the Earl of Mornington. The forest rights are as various as the tenures of the different manors that surround it. Epping, or the 19th Essex Rifle Volunteers, number about 80 men, and L. W. Arkwright is their captain.
Epping Parish Church (All Saints) stands in the Upland, about 2 miles N.W. of the town, on a commanding eminence. It is an ancient structure, with a brick tower containing five bells. The nave is disproportionatel long, and is paved with Purbeck stone ; but the chancel is paved with Portland stone, except within the communion rails, where the flags are of white marble. The church has several handsome monuments of ancient and modern dates, and was appropriated to Waltham Abbey till the dissolution. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £17. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £72, is in the incumbency of the Rev. H. L. Neave, M.A. , and patronage of the Hon. J. A. Ashley, who is also impropriator of the rectory and lord of the manors. The vicar has a good residence in the Uplands, and the tithes were commuted in 1841 – the vicarial for £800, and the rectorial for £400. The parish is in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of London, concurrently with the Episcopal Consistorial Court.
ST. JOHN’S CHURCH, or the free chapel of Epping, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, which stands near the centre of the town, was an ancient structure, founded by the Abbot and Monks of Waltham, but was rebuilt in a plain Gothic style in 1833. It was vested in trustees for public use in 1573, and the trust has been from time to time renewed. The living is a perpetual curacy, now valued at £120, and in the patronage of the Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas R. Tuck, M.B. In the town is an Independent Chapel, rebuilt in 1770 ; and a Friends’ Meeting House, built in 1847 by J. C. Whiteman, Esq. , in lieu of the old one, which was founded in 1670. The National Schools for boys, girls, and infants, were built in 1860, at the cost of £4000,
of which £1300 was given by Government, and the remainder was raised by subscription. They form ahandsome brick building, with Caen stone dressings and buttresses, in the early English style.
Here is also a British School, and at Epping Green a small National School was built in 1862. Epping Literary Institution was established in 1849, and has a good library and reading room. Here is also an Harmonic Society, established in 1851. Union Chapel, at Epping Green, is a small building, erected in 1862, and used by various sects.
JOHN BAKER, in the tenth of Henry VIII. , left property for charitable uses in the parishes of Epping and Theydon Garnon, and the reparation of the highways between Harlow and London. This property is in Theydon Garnon parish, and now consists of Stonard’s or Stonehurst Farm (62A), let for £130 a year ; the Mill Field (8A. 3R. 29P.) , let for £27; and Redyns Wood, in which timber is felled, and the proceeds applied in repairing and beautifying the churches of the two parishes. In 1805 and 6, the fall of timber in this wood produced £551, and another fall in 1822 produced £233. The rents of Stonard’s Farm and Mill Field, after paying fer repairs, land-tax, and other incidental expenses, are divided equally between the two parishes, for distribution among the poor. Epping has also £145. 13s. 4d. three-per-cent. reduced annuities, purchased with its share of the money derived from the sale of timber felled on Stonard’s Farm and Mill Field.
Lady Katherine Wentworth, in 1638, left £400 to buy an estate of the value of £20 per annum £18 there of to be distributed yearly among the poor of Epping, on the anniversary of her death ; and £2 to be paid to the vicar for preaching a sermon before the money should be distributed.
This charity was not established till 1719, when, after a suit in Chancery, the legacy was recovered, together with £220 arrears of interest. The money was laid out in the purchase of Searles Farm (354. 18. 10P. ), in Harlow, now let for about £48 a year, one-tenth of which belongs to the vicar for preaching the sermon, and the rest to the poor, according to an order of Chancery in 1718.
In 1615, George Campion left the Asse-field (4A), now let for £10, and directed one-half of the rent to be given towards the maintenance of the preacher at Epping Chapel, and the other half to be divided among the poor. For a weekly distribution of bread, Edward Searle, in1688, left a yearly rent of 52s. out of Gibbon’s Bush Farm, now belonging to B. B. Colvin, Esq. As noticed with Theydon Garnon parish, Epping receives £7.10s. yearly from Reynold’s Charity, of which £1 is paid for a sermon ;
5s. to the sexton and bell-ringer ; and the rest is divided amongst the largest poor families of this parish. Twelve of the poorest widows have the dividends of £100 three-per-cent. consols, left by Eliz. Walkley, in 1813. Mr. Walkley left £2000 South Sea Annuities to the Trustees of St. John’s Church, one-half for the incumbent, and the other for the officers , &c. , of that church. This bequest is now vested in consols. The poor parishioners have the dividends of £300 three-per-cent. consols, left by Ann Chapman, in 1834, in trust with the vicar and churchwardens.
The SAVINGS’ BANK is open on the first Friday of every month, and W. C. Metcalfe is the clerk.
EPPING DIRECTORY.
Those marked 1 are in EPPING UPLAND ; 2, at EPPING GREEN (in the Upland) ; and 3, are in RYEHILL hamlet.- The others are in the town, or where specified ; but those marked + are in Theydon parishes, on the S.E. side of the town.
POST OFFICE at Frederick Griffith’s . Letters despatched twice a day. It is a Money Order Office and Savings’ Bank.
AbreyJohn, Esq.
2 Adams Mrs S.
Amys John Dunham, solicitor (Windus &A.)
Ashley Hon. John Anthony, Copt Hall
Bamfield Thomas William, clerk
Butcher Edn. cooper, basketmaker. &c.
Champness Geo. estate agent builder &c.
Chappell Mr Chas.
Curtois Miss
Clarke Edw. hay and straw dealer
Clegg Joseph, surgeon
Clements Mrs Ann & Henry, gent.
Clements Mrs Elizabeth & Louisa
Coell Thomas, maltster
Cooper Thomas Wheeler, saddler and leather dealer
Cottis William and Son, ironfounders an dmachine and implement manufacturers
Cuzens Samuel, fishmonger
+Davis Rev. John Teesdale, (Independent.)
Day Misses Rachel and Sarah
Egerton Charles Chandler, Esq. Kendal Lodge
Flower Samuel, carrier to London
Gattrill Mrs
+Hudson Mrs P.
Griffin Mr William
+Foster Mrs My.
Goldsmith William, veterinary surgeon
Gould John Rose, brewer, &c.
Griffiths Frederick, printer, stationer, &c.
Hammond Joseph, police sergeant
Hills James, fishmonger
Hine George, auctioneer, valuer, &c. Epping Bury Farm
Holtaway Mrs
Hinde Misses
Hoy Thomas, tinner and brazier
Ingham Wm. Brooke, spirit merchant and shoemaker
Jarvis John, Esq.
Jassop John, druggist
Judges Arthur Charles, surgeon
Lawrence Ge. Js. auctioneer builder &c.
Legg Alfred, printer, stationer, &c.
2 Littlechild John, gardener
Loft Thos. Esq.
Laxton Rd. Esq.
McNab Daniel Robert, surgeon
McNab Duncan Robert, surgeon
Metcalfe Walter Charles, solicitor & clerk to the magistrates, &c.
1 Neave Rev. Hy. Lyttleton, M.A.vicar
+Oliver Chas. gent.
Mills Mrs. A.
Pattisson William Hy. Luard, police supt.
Payne Mr Isaac
Parsley Mrs
Payne Mr Fdk. registr. of marriages
Pearson Mr Wm.
Reynolds Miss
Reddington James, poulterer, &c.
Reid Daniel, Esq. Epping Plain
Rogers Misses
Punter Mrs L.
Rowland Thomas, Flanders, druggist, &c.
Rumbold Misses Sarah and Jane
Saward Wm. coach builder, &c.
Slater Mr Gabriel
Taylor Mrs
+Smee Mr Jn. Hy.
Thomas William Js.
Teverson Harry, relieving officer
Tuck Rev. Thomas Ridout, M.B. incumbent of St. John’s
Wadeson Delamore, gentleman
Wakeling Edwd. carrier to London
Waller Mr William
Wood Jas. toydealer.
White James, chimney sweeper
+Whiteman Jno. C.E sq. Theydon Grove
Windus and Amys, solicitors
Windus John William, solicitor, union clerk and supt. registrar, &c.
Windus Mrs Jane, & Misses M.
Winstone Mr Benjamin
Winter Edw. pawnbroker & upholsterer
FIRE AND LIFE OFFICES.
British Equitable, James Scruby
British Empire, &c. John R. Gould
Essex & Suffolk, Geo. Jas. Lawrence
Leeds & Yorkshire, &c. Thomas Byford
Phoenix Fire, Frederick Griffiths
Reliance and East of England, W. C. Metcalfe
Royal Exchange, George Moore
Scottish Amicable, T. W. Cooper
Sun, Henry Doubleday
INNS AND TAVERNS.
Bell, George Parish
Black Lion, Joseph Wright
1 Chequers, William Fardell
Cock Hotel, Mrs S. & Walter Tweed
2 Cock and Magpie, Louisa Newman
Duke of Wellington, Samuel Clarke
Duke of York, David Brown
George and Dragon, George Teece
Globe, John Slocombe
Royal Oak, James Grout
Sun, William Marrable
Thatched House, Thomas Basham
White Hart, James Rixon
White Lion, George Pomphret
White Swan, James Brewster
ACADEMIES. (+Boarding.)
+Butcher Anna M.
Byford Thomas
+Hunter John
+Palmer Susan
+Wade Mrs Jane
+Whipps Hannah
British School – Ann Haslam
National Schools – Mats. Dunstan, My. Burrows, & Mary C.Dexter
BAKERS .
Allen Charles
Allen Mary
Champness Sarah
2 Ford John
Hummerston Ts.
Kirkby James
Richardson Edn.
Whipps Charles
Wilson Thomas Jas.
Wright William
BEERHOUSES.
2 Barrett John
+Fairchild John
Glaskin William
Palmer John
BLACKSMITHS.
Barltrop Mary
2 Barltrop William
Burden William
2 Cook James A.
Hutley Charles
Saward William
+Serle Richard
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Allen James
Austin Charles
Burgess William
Fisher Arnold
Giffin William
Glaskin William
Grimsdick William & parish clerk
Hills John
Ingham W. B.
Lawrence Thos.
Pratt Richard
Rixon James
Simpson Thomas
Stace Thomas
BRICKLAYERS.
Champness Geo.
Heath Henry
Marrable Charles
Parrish John
BRICK MAKERS.
Champness Geo.
Foster Charles, & drainpipe
+Styles John
BUTCHERS.
*Fairchild John
Fairchild William
Field James
Mills Benjamin Johnson
Stevens Henry
Teece Chas. Jas .
CARPENTERS And Builders
Champness Geo.
Champness Samuel
Davis William
Lawrence G. J.
COOPERS.
Butcher Edwin
Wright George
FARMERS
3 Brown Daniel
2 Brown William
Byers Stephen
Coell Thomas
1 Dean William
+Fairchild Richard
Flower John
Hills Thomas
Hine Geo. Bury
1 Humphreys E.
Keys Philip
2 Mansfield Jas .
Miller John
1 Nichols Thomas
Pain John
Poutrell Mrs E.
3 Rickett John
Sanderson Chas.
John, New Farm
1 Scruby James
2 Skingley Robert
Smith Adam
2 Smith Peter
Symes Edward
FURNITURE BROKERS.
Butcher Edwin
Hall George
Silcock Henry
GROCERS, &C.
2 Brown Thos.
Clarke Ann
Doubleday Henry
Fairchild William
Palmer John
Pollard Nathaniel.
Pratt William, collector
Scruby James & china dealer
Wicks Thomas & Co.
Wolton James
HAIRDRESSRS &c.
Cambell William
Marshall Henry
Wright James
IRONMONGERS.
Barnes Frederick
Doubleday Hy.
Hall George
Odell John
L. & W. DRAPERS.
Pollard Nathnl.
Wicks Thomas & Co.
Wolton James
MILLINERS, &c.
Hobbs Mary
Rankin Mrs
Styles Maria
PAINTERS, PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS .
Clarke Thomas
Clarke Samuel
Foster Charles
Teece George
SADDLERS, &c.
Cooper Thomas W.
Phipps William
SHOPKEEPERS
Armstrong Geo.
Barltrop Mary
Bones Charles
Champness Sarah
Cowling Daniel
Holmes Fanny
Hummerston Ts.
Smith Adam
TAILORS, &C.
Byford Alfred
Foster William
Hasler William
Johnston William
Mantell George
Spencer Henry
WATCHMAKERS &c.
Barnes Frederick
Lake William B.
WHEELWRIGHTS.
2 Barltrop William
2 Cook James A.
Greatrex James
Hale William
Saward William
COACH to Loughton Station from the Cock Hotel, at 8 a.m.& 4 p.m.
CARRIERS to London, Samuel Flower & Edw. Wakeling, Mon. Wed. & Fri.