Cressing 1848 Whites Directory

Cressing 1848 Whites Directory

CRESSING is a pleasant scattered village, in a high salubrious situation, 3 miles S.E. of Braintree, and 4 miles N.W. by N. of Witham. Its parish contains 560 souls, and 2357A. 2R. 13P. of land, including 68A of wood, and 51A. of waste. More than 2000 acres are arable, and the soil is heavy, but good. Hops have been cultivated here, and the ditches and brooks are noted for water cresses, from which the parish is supposed to have had its name. About 1150, King Stephen granted the manor and rectory to the Knights Templars, who had a preceptory here, called Cressing Temple, about a mile S. of the church, on an acclivity overlooking the small river Brain. On the suppression of this order, in 1311, their temple and possessions here were given to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, who were suppressed in 1540, when the manor of Cressing was granted to Sir William Huse, from whom it passed to the Smyths, who long flourished at Cressing Temple, now a farm-house, still retaining some finely carved wainscoting, and part of a moat. Capt. Stuart, who resides at Florence, is lord of the manor ; but most of the soil belongs to the Executors of the late J. Grimwood, Esq., and several smaller owners.
The Church (All Saints,) is a plain but neat structure, with a wooden belfry, and a small spire. It has undergone many alterations, the windows being in various styles, from Henry III. to Edward IV. In the chancel is an ancient monument, belonging to the Neville family.
Cressing was originally a chapelry to Witham parish ; and the church or chapel is said to have been founded by Elephelm att Gore, whogave 20A. of land for its maintenance. King Stephen granted the rectory of Witham to the dean and canons of St. Martin le Grand, London, who ordained a vicar at Witham, and bound him to support the chapel of Cressing. The discharged vicarage of Cressing, valued in K.B. at £7. 15s. 5d. , and in 1831 at £220, is in the patronage of the Vicar of Witham, and incumbency of the Rev. Sir John Page Wood, Bart. , L.L.B., who is also rector of St. Peter’s, Cornhill, London, and resides at Glazenwood, in Bradwell. G. and J. Joscelyn, Esqrs. , are lessees of the rectory ; and all the tithes have been commuted for rent- charges, the rectorial for £343, and the vicarial for £287 per annum Here is a small vicarage house, with 2A. 3R. 3P. of glebe; and in the village is a small Independent Chapel, built in 1847, by Mr. James Joscelyne,of Braintree.
Ayton Anthony, carpenter
Cook James, wheelwright
Davey Samuel, vict. Three Ashes
Fairhead Ephraim, cattle dealer

BEERHOUSES .
Cheek Stephen – Willows
Totham John – Red Lion
Willers William, (& blacksmith) – Three Horseshoes

CORN MILLERS.
Brown William
Catchpool James, Bulford

FARMERS.
Blyth Samuel, Temple
Brown William
Cousins George
Cousins Samuel
Ely Jn. Woodward
Fairhead James
Fairhead William
Higginson Alex.
Humphreys John
Laver Jno. , Ashes
Raven Thomas
Raven William
Sadler John
TheobaldJ. Exors
Tunbridge Jacob

SCHOOLS .
Barnard Eliz .
Smith Mary

SHOEMAKERS .
Challis Thomas
Kerlogue James

SHOPKEEPERS.
Brown Mary
Kerlogue Lucy
Sadler Rt. baker
Totham John
Post, &c. from Braintree