Witham 1848 Whites Directory

Witham 1848 Whites Directory
WITHAM, a small, but handsome and well- built market town, is pleasantly situated on the high road from London to Colchester, near the confluence of the small river Brain, or Guith, with the Blackwater ; and mostly on the south-eastern side of the Eastern Counties Railway, where there is a commodious Station, at the junction of that line with the Maldon, Witham, and Braintree Railway, now fast approaching completion. It is distant 38 miles N.E. of London, 14 miles S.W. by W. of Colchester, 8½ miles N.E. of Chelmsford, 6 miles N. by W. of Maldon, and 7 miles S.S.E. of Braintree. It has a small market every Tuesday, for corn, cattle, &c., and pleasure fairs on the Friday and Saturday in Whitsun week, and on June 4th and 5th. The latter is held at Chipping Hill, an old detached part of the town, on the other side of the railway, where the parish church is situated ; but a new church has recently been built in the town. Witham gives name to the Hundred and Union, and to a large Justice and Police Division, comprising Thurstable and Witham Hundreds, and the south-western part of Lexden Hundred ; for which Petty Sessions are held here every alternate Tuesday. Newland street, the great thoroughfare, where the market is held, has many good houses, inns, and well-stocked shops, and is connected with Bridge street, by the bridge over the small river Brain. These, and the few short cross streets, are now well paved, and lit with gas. The Gas Works were established in 1834, at the cost of about £850, and a similar sum was expended in 1847, in making a new gasometer, and in extending the gas pipes to Chipping Hill and the Railway Station . The charge for lights is 10s. , and for cooking purposes only 6s. per 1000 cubic feet. The Parish of Witham had only 2186 inhabitants in 1801, but in 1831 they had increased to 2735, and in 1841 , to 3158 souls, including 138 in the Union Workhouse, and 18 in the private Lunatic Asylum, which was established here in 1819, by Mr. Tomkin, surgeon, and has room for 30 patients. The parish contains 3633 acres ofland, but only 3100 acres are tithable, and of these, 2400 acres are arable, and 156 acres woodland. About 40A. , which anciently belonged to the Knights of Cressing Temple, are exempt from both great and small tithes. Witham is of considerable antiquity, and Newland street is said to have been first built by Edward the Elder, son of Alfred the Great. Some antiquaries say the name of the place, in the time of the Ancient Britons, was Guith- avon, (separating river,) from the small river Guith, or Brain, which divides the town, and falls into the Blackwater, about half-a-mile east of the town.
The parish church and some of the oldest houses, are at and near CHIPPING HILL, about half a mile N.W. of the town, where the market was anciently held, and where there is a bold eminence, on which there were formerly traces ofa circular camp, defended by a double vallum. From this camp, and the considerable quantity of Roman bricks worked up in the church tower, Mr. Gough conjectured that the hill was the site of the Canonium, or Ad Ansam, of Antoninus; and this opinion was strengthened by the circumstance noticed by Morant, of two Roman coins of the Emperors Valens and Gratian, having been found in levelling the fortifications. But in cutting through the hill, for the construction ofthe railway, nothing was found to indicate that the Romans had ever a station there. The Saxon chronicle says, in 913, Edward the Elder went ” with some of his forces into Essex, to Maldon, and encamped there, while the rest of his men built and fortified the town of Witham; and many of the people submitted to him, who were before under the power of the Danes. ” A mineral spring, near Witham Place, was formerly much celebrated, and Dr. Tavernier, a learned physician, who resided here, published an essay on its virtues, but it ceased to be noticed more than 30 years ago. The parish is in several MANORS, of which the following are their names and their lords-Newlands and Great Witham, Capt. P. P. Du Cane ; Powers Hall, or Little Witham, John Alfred Wigan, Esq.; Howbridge Hall, Samuel and Stephen Pitt, Esqrs.; the Vicarage or Hog end, belonging to the Vicar ; and Blunts Hall, of which Lord Rayleigh is lord.
The latter extends into the parishes of Terling and Hatfield Peverel. Among the other principal landowners are J. H. Pattisson, Esq., Jonathan Bullock, Esq. , Rev. H. Du Cane, Captain DuCane,Mrs. Cath. Oliver, (owner of Freeborns, Benton Hall, and Rukestones farms,) J. E. Walford, Esq. , Rev. C. Warren, W. W. Luard, Esq., Mrs. A. Clark, (owner of Chantry Wood, 105A. , and Isham’s farm,) and Messrs. James and John Beadel. The soil is mostly free, and partly copyhold. The lordship of Great Witham, or Newland, was held by Earl Harold, and afterwards by Eustace, Earl of Boulogne, who married William the Conqueror’s sister. It was then called the Honor of Bononia, or Bonanda, and was one of the four ancient Honors in this kingdom. King Stephen granted it to the Knights Templars, and after the dissolution it passed to various families. The customs in the manors of Newland and Chipping are remarkable ; the owner of free-hold lands being obliged to pay one year’s value of the property upon every death and alienation, for a certain fine; unless he was born in the manor, in which case he pays a double quit-rent only. There are also copyholders and leaseholders, who hold by copy of court roll, for a longer or shorter term, as the lord may choose, and pay arbitary fines. The other manors have been held by many different families.
In the reign of Henry III. , Geffrey de Lyston held land here by the service of carrying flour to make wafers, on the King’s birth-day, whenever his Majesty was in the kingdom. WITHAM GROVE, the seat of the Rev. Henry Du Cane, is a fine old mansion of red and black brick, on the south side of Newland street, with pleasant grounds ; and on the opposite side of the road, is a beautiful avenue of trees, about a quarter of a mile in length, and open to the public. The Princess, afterwards Queen Charlotte, landed at Harwich, in 1761 , and, in her way to London, stayed at the Grove, then the seat of the Earl of Abercorn, and previously of the Barwells, who built it, and were eminent baize manufacturers.
WITHAM HOUSE , nearer the centre of the same side of Newland street, is a large brick building, with tasteful pleasure grounds behind it. It is the seat of J. H. Pattisson, Esq., and among its pictures is a fine one of Rural Amusements, by Sir Thos. Lawrence. The Pattisons have been settled in this neighbourhood more than two centuries. The late Wm. Hy. Pattison, Esq., who died, January 8th, 1848, aged 73, was for many years an eminent attorney, and in the latter part of his life, an active magistrate of the county. He was universally respected, and to him and his predecessors the town is indebted for many improvements, since 1730. Several of the largest houses were built by them, and a few years ago, the late Mr. P. gave to the public land which now forms Guithavon street and the New road. WITHAM LODGE, a neat mansion with pleasant grounds, about a mile S.W. of the town, is the seat of W. W. Luard, Esq. WITHAM PLACE, near Chipping Hill, was the seat of the late Capt. Rook, and now belongs to Robert Bretnall, Esq. This estate was given by Roger Bacon to St. John’s Abbey, Colchester, and was granted by Henry VIII. , to Geo. Tresham. In the 17th century, itwas let by the Southcote family, on a long building lease, to Lord Stourton, who made great improvements in the house and grounds, which were occupied by the Earl of Harcourt, about 1780. The late Mr. R. Bretnall purchased the estate in 1800. The mansion was very extensive, and contained a Catholic Chapel, but it has been reduced to about one-third of its former magnitude, though it is still a large residence ; now unoccupied.
Witham PARISH CHURCH, (St. Nicholas,) is at Chipping Hill, about half a mile north-west of the town. It is a lofty and spacious structure, consisting of a nave, side aisles, chancel, and porch ; with a tower at the west end. The walls are of ancient bricks and flints, except the upper part of the tower, which was formerly of wood, but was exchanged for brick in 1743. The nave and chancel display some good specimens of the decorated and perpendicular styles, and have undergone many alterations. The east window has recently been restored, and the whole building thoroughly repaired and beautified. The chancel is separated from the nave by a rood screen, and the staircase which led to the rood loft now leads to the pulpit. There were formerly two chantries here, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist. The latter was founded in 1397, and well endowed, for a chaplain to pray for the souls of Lady Joana de Bohun, Countess of Hereford, and others. On the north side of the chancel is an elegant monument, bearing recumbent effigies of Judge Southcote, of Witham Place, and his lady. A white marble mural monument has kneeling figures of Sir Thos. Nevill and his lady, dated 1593. There are also several handsome mural monuments belonging to the Pattisson and other families. One is in memory of Wm. Hy. Pattisson, Jun. , and his Wife, who were married August 22nd, 1832, and unfortunately drowned together, on the 20th of the following month, in the Lac de Gauve, in the Higher Pyrenees. In memory of his late respected father, another neat tablet was erected in 1848. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £22. 0s. 7d. , and in 1831 at £488, has a large and handsome residence, 103A. 1R. 26P. of glebe, and a small manorial jurisdiction. The Rev. John Bramston, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Bishop of London is patron, and also appropriator of the rectory, now held on lease by John Shaw Manley, Esq. , who has £820 a year in lieu of tithes. The vicar’s tithes have been commuted for £285 per annum. Two-thirds of the tithes of Blunts Hall estate (450A.,) belong to Peter Wright, Esq., and have been commuted for £75 per annum.
The parish church being at the distance of half a mile, the want of a chapel of ease in the town had long been felt in 1842, when ALL SAINTS’ CHURCH, in Guithavon street, was built by subscription, at the cost of about £5000, on land given by the late W. H. Pattisson , Esq. The latter also gave £100 towards the building, and his son, J. H. Pattisson, Esq. , gave £150. Among the other principal contributions to the building and endowment were- £250 from the Church Building Society ; £250 from the Essex Church Building Society ; £1000 given by the Du Cane family ; £105 by J. Brown, Esq. , the architect ; and £100 by Mrs. Sims. This new church is a large building, in the early English style, of dressed black flint, with white brick quoins, &c. It has a bell hung over the western gable, and contains 700 sittings, of which 400 are free, but it has at present no galleries. A house for the minister is about to be erected, on land given by J. H. Pattisson, Esq. Here is a small Roman Catholic Chapel, in the house of the Priest.
In the town are CHAPELS belonging to the Independents, Baptists, and Society of Friends ; the first rebuilt in 1840, at the cost of £1700, by a congregation formed in 1715 ; and the second built in 1828, at the cost of £220 . WITHAM LITERARY INSTITUTION was established in Nov., 1844, and has now 13 patrons, 170 members, and a library of about 1000 volumes. It has lecture, reading, and news rooms, and is liberally encouraged by most of the gentry of the town and neighbourhood. Lord Rayleigh is its president, and Mr. Henry Garrett is the librarian. In the same year was commenced the Witham Labourers’
Friend and Agricultural Society, which has now about 80 members, and holds an annual meeting, at which there is a ploughing match, and prizes are awarded to the best ploughmen, and for the finest vegetables, &c. Sir John Suckling, a celebrated wit, courtier, and dramatist, was born here in 1613, and spent £12,000 in raising and supporting a troop of horse for King Charles. Witham Division Benefit Building and Investment Society, was established in 1846, in £120 shares, to he realized by monthly subscriptions of 10s. It holds its meetings on the last Tuesday of every month, and Messrs. Blood and Douglas are its solicitors, and Mr. James Corder is its manager and secretary. A fashionable assembly, called the Witham Ball, is held every winter, at the White Hart Inn, and is attended by a large number of the gentry of the neighbourhood. The chalybeate spring,
called Witham Spa, has been disused more than 30 years, though it was once in as much repute as the Hockley Spa. The revival of this spa, and the establishment of baths, would be of great use to the inhabitants of the town and neighbourhood. Here is a Cricket Club, also several Friendly Societies , a Savings Bank, and various Almshouses and Charities for the poor. The SAVINGS’ BANK for Witham Division, was established in 1817, and in Nov., 1847, it had deposits amounting to £41,350, belonging to about 1600 depositors. It is open every Tuesday, and Mr. B. Hart is the manager.
The NATIONAL SCHOOLS form a handsome building, in the Tudor style, built in 1842, in lieu of the old one. They are supported by subscription, the small payments of the scholars, and the rent of a large house at Chipping Hill, let for £35 a year, and bequeathed in 1681, by Catherine Barnardiston, in trust for the support of a church lecturer, or a schoolmaster, or for want of these, to be applied to the relief of poor widows. There is a house for the master and mistress, and in connexion with it is an Infant School. The BRITISH SCHOOLS, in Maldon road, were built in 1837, at the cost of £850, and in connexion with them there is an Infant School, at the Independent Chapel. These schools are numerously attended, and liberally supported by subscription, but the scholars pay from 1d. to 3d, each perweek.
GREEN’S ALMSHOUSES, at Chipping Hill, consist of two tenements, with small gardens, occupied by four poor widows, who have each a weekly stipend of 2s. 6d. , besides 2s. 6d. quarterly, and an allowance of coals yearly. They were founded in 1491, by Thos. Green, who left for their support and the reparation ofthe church, a farm of 30A. , at Springfield, called Browne’s, and now let for £80 per annum, nearly half of which goes to the church.
The almspeople are selected by the vicar and churchwardens. ARMOND’S ALMSHOUSE, in Blunts Hall lane, is an old building of three rooms, with a garden, occupied by two poor women. It was founded in 1627, by George Armond, who endowed it with £4. 10s. per annum, arising from five small rent charges, out of houses in the town. HARVEY’S ALMSHOUSES, on the north side of the town, are divided into six dwellings, each having two rooms and a small garden, and occupied by one or two persons, there being now nine inmates. They were founded in 1810, by Matthew. Barnard Harvey, who built them and vested them in trust with the minister and deacons of the Independent Chapel, for the residence of poor members of their congregation, whether belonging to the parish or not. They have no endowment, except the yearly supply of half a chaldron of coals for each of the six dwellings, given by Thos. Isaac, in 1812, out of the rent of a house and garden at Chipping Hill. The ALMSHOUSES IN BRIDGE STREET, for ten poor widows, are described in a report of 1786, as being endowed by an unknown donor, with lands then worth £67 a year. They have been conveyed to new trustees by various deeds, from 1507 to 1803, and the endowment now consists of a farm of 514. 30p. , in the parishes of Fairsted and White Notley, called Walley Tye ; and a farm of 454. 37P. , in Goldhanger, called Scott’s and Mott’s . These farms are well timbered, and are let at rents amounting to £165 per annum. The almshouses are divided into five tenements, each occupied by two widows, and having a small garden.
The ten inmates are selected by the vicar, churchwardens, and trustees, from the aged and necessitous widows belonging to the parish, and each has £1 monthly, 4s. half-yearly, and about £2 worth of coals and wood yearly. They are also provided with medical attendance ; and two widows in one of the tenements, have also the dividends of £200 Three- and-a-Half per Cent. Bank Annuities, left by John Poole, in 1824, for the benefit, after her death, of the inmates of the almshouse in which his nurse, Susanna Harris, then resided. For a weekly distribution of 12 two-penny loaves at the church, Catherine Barnardiston , in 1632, left £100, which was laid out, with £20 of the town stock, in the purchase of a house and 6A. of free hold land, at Chipping Hill. This house has been enlarged at various periods, and was used as the Parish Workhouse till 1838. The overseers let the 6A. of land for £13, and apply it with the poor rates, except £5. 4s. , which is distributed in weekly doles of bread. They also pay yearly, out of the parish rates, £2. 12s., for a weekly distribution of 1s. worth of bread among six poor widows, as the interest of £50 left for that purpose by the Rev. Jonas Warley, D.D., in 1719, and expended by the parish, as is supposed, in rebuilding the church steeple. The large UNION WORKHOUSE, on the west side of the town, was built in 1839, at the cost of £7950, and has room for about 300 paupers.

WITHAM DIRECTORY.
Those marked 1, live in Bridge street ; 2 , Chipping hill ; 3, Guithavon st. ; 4, Market street ; 5, Maldon road ; 6, Mill hill ; 7, Newland street (or High street ; ) 8 , New road ; and 9, in Queen street.
The POST-OFFICE is in Newland street, and Mr. William Garrett is the postmaster. The box closes for London at 10 min. past 11 morning, and at 10 night ; and for Colchester and the East at half-past 8 night.
Mail Cart to Halstead, through Faulkbourn, Notley, &c., at half-past 3 morning; and a Letter Carrier to Terling, &c., at half- past 9 morning.
Letters delivered in the town at 8 morning and 1 afternoon. Money Orders granted and paid.

Abbott Joseph. manager to W. & T. Johns
Aldridge Jas. Willshere, railway clerk
7 Banks Edw. Wilson, Esq. , solicitor.
7 Beadel Mrs Mary Anne
7 Blood Joseph. Howell, Esq., solicitor and union clerk, superintendent registrar, and clerk to Magistrates
7 Boyfield Miss Penelope
7 Boutwood Misses Maria & Emma
2 Bramston Rev. John, M.A. Vicarage
2 Bramston Miss Mary Ann
Bretnall Robert, Esq. Chipping Hill
Bright Miss Jane, Newland street
Butler Thomas, Esq. Newland st
Chappell Hy. millwright, Newland st
Child Rev. Alfred, M.A.
Church James, manager, Gas Works
1 Cooke Chas. police superintendent
2 Coote John, auctioneer, &c.
1 Corder Edward, umbrella maker
7 Corder James, solicitor’s clerk
7 Cornelius Cornelius, basket maker
5 Craig John Wilson, tvg. tea dealer
2 Dace James, parish clerk
De Lima Rev. Anthony Eleuthero D. D. ( Catholic priest)
7 Douglas Chas. solicitor (Blood & D.
Du Cane Rev. Henry, The Grove
7 Du Cane Mrs Richard and Misses
Edwards George, gent. Spa Place
Elton Capt. Jacob, Chipping hill
Garrett William, postmaster, Newland st
Granger Mrs Mary, Newland street
Gilby George King, railway clerk
Green Miss, Newland street
7 Harris Mr Samuel & Harvey James
Hastings Mr. William, Chipping hill
Hicks James Cansdell, and Mrs., master & matron, Union Workhouse.
3 Huckle Rev. James (Baptist)
7 Hudson Manfred Pitt, excise officer
Hughes Robert, organist
Humphries Mr John, Railway Cottage
Hunt Mrs Henrietta, Newland st
Ives Mrs Phoebe, Newland street
Jarvis Mrs Hannah, Newland street
3 Jeffares Major Harman
Johns W. & T. tawers & fellmongers, (and Chelmsford)
7 Johnson Jno. coach & harness mkr
Knox Miss Sarah, Guithavon street
7 Lewis Sar. china, glass, &c. dealer
Luard William, Wright, Esq. Lodge
7 Major Rev. Seymour Edward, B.A.
1 Mann William, patten and clog maker
2 Newman Mrs
7 Norton Miss
5 Osborne Mrs
Sheriff Mrs
Pattisson Jacob Howell, Esq. , L.L.B. solicitor, Witham House
7 Perry William, railway office
Philbrick Mr John, Newland street
Pryke Mr William, Guithavon street
Robinson Rev. Richard. (Independant minister)
2 Rusher Thomas, sexton
7 Saville John, fishmonger
7 Shaen Misses Louisa and Hepzh.
3 Shee William Edwin, relievg. officer
7 Shelley William, dairyman
Simms Mrs Sarah, Newland street
5 Slythe James, stone mason
7 Smith Jas. drill maker ( & Yoxford) |
1 Spink William, veterinary surgeon
Steele Mr John, Newland street
7 Stevens Richard, solicitor (Banks and S.)
7 Talbot Misses Eliz. and Louisa
7 Taveres Rev. Joseph da Silva (Cathe.)
7 Thomasin George, brush, mop yarn, patten, and clog manufacturer
1 Turner Mr Robert
True Mrs Eliz.
Walford Jno. Edw. Esq. Chipping hill, and Highfield and Moat Farms
Walford Cornelius, jun. clerk
7 Walker Mrs
1 Whitaker Mary
7 Wieburgh Mrs Jane

ACADEMIES ( + are Boarding.)
5 British Schools, William Fulton and Ann Clayden
+7 Cunnington Maria
7 Garrett Elizabeth (Infant School)
+7 Houghton Mary Ann
7 Jackson Moses
+7 Mann William, Witham School
3 National Schools , Frederick. Chas. Jagg,
Sophia Woolnough, & Mrs Totman

ATTORNEYS.
Banks and Stevens, Newland st
Blood and Douglas, Newland street
Pattisson Jacob Howell, LL.B. Newland st. and Witham House
Thomasin James Hy., Newland st

BANKS.
Mills, Bawtree, and Co., Newland st ; William Knight, agent
7 Savings Bank, open Tuesday; Mr. Benjamin Hart, manager

FARMERS.
Alger Edward, Cuppers
Barwell Henry, Motts Farm
Beadel Thos. , Howbridge Hall and Dengie Farm Bright Robert, Chipping Hill
Coote John, Chipping Hill
Cowell Samuel, Ishams Crump John, Freeborns Farm
Crump John Samuel, Benton Hall
Foster Joseph. Blunt’s Hall & Wheelers
Hutley Jonathan, Elms Hall
Hutley William, Powers Hall & Oliver’s
Lemon John, Elm Farm
Shoobridge Thomas Hoffguard, miller
Smith Edward
2 Tuff Arthur
Warwicker Anty. Cooke John, Rukestones (and Rivenhall)

FIRE & LIFE OFFICES.
Essex and Suffolk, William Knight
Essex Economic, John Philbrick
Norwich Union, Robert Poynter Green
7 Royal Exchange, C. Wilson
Royal Farmers’ and Hailstorm, T. H. Shoobridge
1 Royal Insurance, Geo. Gardner
Western Life, George Coote

INNS AND TAVERNS.
2 Albert Hotel, Robert Salter (posting.)
7 Angel , George Appleby
7 Blue Posts Tap, James Emery
7 Carpenters’ Arms, Michael Alfred Dardis
1 George and Dragon, William Walford
7 George, Walter Borroughs
7 Globe, Thomas Bailey
2 King’s Head, Eleanor Tanner
7 Red Lion, John Ward
7 Spread Eagle, Sarah Nunn
7 Swan, James Andrews
7 Waggon and Horses, John Mann
7 White Hart, Rebecca Cook (posting)
7 White Hart Tap, Robert Dodd
2 White Horse, Williamornback
2 Woolpack, Jno. Smithman Lorkin

BAKERS, &c.
7 Beard John
1 Ely Eliz
7 Hubbard Sarah
7 Mead Thomas
2 Pease John
7 SayerJoseph
2 Slythe John
5 White George

BEERHOUSES.
2 Kerridge Henry
5 Mortimer Edw.

BOOKSELLERS, PRINTERS, &c.
7 Knight William
7 Cheek Rd. Suttn.

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
2 Abbott David
7 Boutwood James
1 Brand Joseph
7 Dunsdon Alfred
2 Gaywood Jas.
7 Sayer Alfred
7 Simpson William
5 Tyler William
7 Turner Levi
6 Wood Philip

BRICKLAYERS
9 Chalk Joseph
5 Cooke Robert
7 Harrison Theods
6 Page Jas. William
1 Wright Richard

BUTCHERS.
7 Barwell Chas.
7 Barwell Edm.
7 Barwell Henry
7 Belcher Jas. Ts.
5 Blyth Joseph
7 Chaplin Geo.
1 Emery Joseph
2 Rust William
5 Walford John
5 Warren James

CABINET MAKERS.
2 Coote John ( & undertaker)
7 Cottee Jn. & Geo.
7 Garrett William

CARPENTERS AND BUILDERS.
6 Agar Edward
7 Barker Thomas
7 HarrisonTheods
2 Holmes James
5 Mortimer Hugh

CLOTHES DEALERS.
7 Nott Joseph
1 Payne Richard

COOPERS,
1 Cooper John
7 Sayer Henry

CORN MILLERS
Dixon Benj and R.W., Blue Mills
7 Piper Daniel, Harvey
2 Shead Henry
Shoobridge Thos. Hoffguard
7 Bright William
7 Grimwood Jas. (& coal dealer & maltster)
7 White Hy. Lawshall (& seed)

DRUGGISTS.
7 Green Robert Poynter
7 Pyman Thos.

GARDENERS
7 Luck William
7 Rule Ophelia

GROCERS, &c.
7 Butler William
2 Hamblin Geo.
7 Hicks Marven Porter
7 King Robert
7 Thorpe Henry
7 Smith Edw. and Son (Edw. Chs.)

IRONMONGERS, BRAZIERS, &c.
7 Gardner Geo. ( & leather seller)
7 Wilson Carrington

LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS
7 Butler William
2 Hamblin Geo.
7 King Robert
7 Smith and Son

MILLINERS, &c.
7 Briggs Harriet
3 Cowlin Ann
7 Ely Eliz.
7 Foster Miss Mgt.
7 Gardner Eliz.
7 Harwood Sarah
7 Mattheson Mary
7 Robinson Sarah

PERFUMERS AND HAIRDRESSERS .
7 Cottis William
7 Rowe George
7 Walford Cornelius

PLUMBERS, PAINTERS, & GLAZIERS.
7 Elmy John
7 Elmy Sarah & William
7 Lewis Mrs. Jane

SADDLERS, &c.
7 Garrett William Hailstone
2 Rust John
7 Thorne Samuel
7 Warwicker Isaac

SHOPKEEPERS.
7 Brand John
1 Brand Joseph
9 Chalk Joseph
2 Fewell Sophia
7 Hubbard Sarah
7 Nott Joseph
2 Pease John
7 Simpson Eliz.

SMITHS. (BLACK)
7 Chappell Chas. (whitesmith)
7 Fuller MaryAnn
5 Fuller Nehemh.
2 Ives Samuel

STAY MAKERS.
5 Botham Lucy
7 Butcher Mary
2 Gaywood My. A.
2 Tuff Jane

STRAW HAT MAKERS.
9 Allprice Sarah
7 Davey Sarah
7 Garrett Eliza
7 Harwood Sarah

SURGEONS.
7 Dixon Hy. and Proctor Alex. Geo.
7 Pyman Thos. Clover
7 Tomkin Thos. Marchant

TAILORS
7 Butler William
7 Gardner John Harrison
5 Garrard John
7 Garrett Thos.
7 Martin Robert
3 Sibthorpe Edw.

WATCHMAKERS.
9 Allatson William
7 Harrington Robert
7 Thorne Josiah Cornelius

WHEELWRIGHT.
1 Fleuty William

WINE AND SPIRIT MERCHANTS.
7 Green Charles Owen
7 Marks Thomas

RAILWAY
Trains to London, Colchester, &c. five times a-day

CARRIERS.
2 Salter Robt. (per rails)
5 Lake John, to Maldon, daily
Mail Cart, to Halsted, 3½morng