Hazeleigh Whites Directory in 1848

Hazeleigh Whites Directory in 1848
HAZELEIGH, a small parish of scattered houses, from 2 to 3 miles S.S.W. of Maldon, has only 131 souls, 1360 acres of land, finely undulated, and watered by a stream flowing eastward to the Blackwater. H. S. Blake and B. Kerr, Esqrs. , own most of the soil and are lords of the manor, and patrons of the discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £4.13s. 4d. , and in 1831 at £258, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Parry Marriott, M.A., of Eynsford, Kent.
The glebe is 154.1R. , but there is no Rectory House. The tithes were commuted in 1844, for £287.5s. per annum.
The Church (St. Nicholas, ) is a small fabric of timber, plastered, standing in the corner of a meadow near the Hall, now a farm house. Serlo and Ailmer held the parish in the Confessor’s reign, and at the Conquest it was given to Ralph Peverell . It afterwards passed to the Horewood, Alleyn, Mildmay, Smith, and Irwin families. In 1838, some labourers, while digging in a field here, discovered a stone coffin, of shell limestone, about three feet below the surface of the ground. It was 4 inches thick and about 6 feet 9 inches long, and contained a female skeleton. An estate, called Jenkins, or Jenkin Maldon, is partly in this and partly in Maldon parish .
Austin John, shoemaker
Colbear James, wheelwright & joiner
Cook Jas. shopkeeper & vict. White Hart
Cox Stephen, corn miller
CummingRev. Samuel , B.A. curate
Rand Moses, brick &drain pipemaker
Sandford William, vict. Oak Inn
Sayer Edward, baker, &c.

FARMERS.
Barritt Earn, Hazeley Hall
Bright Edward ( & Maldon)
Ellis William, Birch Wood
Going Richard
Fuller Samuel
Hart Frederick, Jenkin Maldon
Tiffen John
Puplett Daniel