Steeple Whites Directory in 1848
STEEPLE, 8 miles E.S.E. of Maldon, is a long village, on the Bradwell road, at the foot of a gentle acclivity, overlooking the marshes on the south side of the estuary of the river Stour. Its parish, sometimes called Steeple-with-Stansgate, has 584 inhabitants, and 2804A. 2R. 12P. of land, including the hamlet of Stansgate and Ramsey Island, the latter of which is from 2 to 3 miles N.E. of the village, and is encompassed by the Blackwater and a small creek.
Two fairs are held in the village, on Whit-Wednesday and the Wednesday after Sept. 29th. In Domesday Book, the parish is called Uluuneschurch. The manor of Steeple Hall belongs to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, and was held by Hugh Fitz-Otto, in 1282, and afterwards by the Peche, Field, Willoughby, Montague, and other families.
The hall, now a farm-house, is an old wood and plaster building, near the church. Steeple Grange, (428A.,) is a manor and estate, which belongs to J. J. Tufnell, Esq. , and was formerly held by the Ferrers, Brandon, Stonard, Boulter, and other families. Richd. Solly, Esq. , owns part of Stansgate, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish, partly free and partly copyhold. Stansgate hamlet is nearly encompassed by the Blackwater and a creek, and at the Norman Survey it was held of Ralph Peverell, by Ralph Fitzbrien ; who, about 1110, founded a priory at Great Brisete, in Suffolk, and endowed it with Stansgate Church and a third of the tithes ; but, about 1175, a Priory was founded here for Cluniac monks, as a cell to Lewes Priory, and endowed with the manor of Stansgate and the tithes of the whole parish. After the dissolution, in 1525, it was granted to Cardinal Wolsey; and on his fall, in 1529, it reverted to the crown. It afterwards passed to the Cocke, Mordaunt, Rich, Kenrick, and other families, but there are now no traces of it or its church, except some remains of the latter in the walls of a barn .
Steeple Church (St. Lawrence,) is a small brick building, without a tower. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £15. 18s. , and in 1831 , at £195, is in the alternate patronage of Sir B. Bridges, Bart., and H. Hunt, Esq., and in the incumbency of the Rev. T. T. Cresswell, B.A., who has 30A. of in the incumbency of the Rev. T. T. Cresswell, B.A., who has 30A. of glebe, and a neat residence, built in 1845, at the cost of £1240 , one-third of which was obtained from Queen Anne’s Bounty, and the rest from the patrons and impropriators. The tithes were commuted in 1839, the vicarial for £160. 11s. 3d. , and the rectorial for £369.19s. 5d. , the vicarial for £160. 11s. 3d. , and the rectorial for £369.19s. 5d. The
Grange is tithe-free. Here is a National School, attended by about 70 children ; and a small Methodist Chapel. Like some others in the county, this parish suffers much from many of its farms being now held by non-resident tenants. The poor have £2. ls. yearly from Aylett’s Charity. (See Southminster.)
POST OFFICE, at Sus. Hewett’s. Letters despatched at 4 afternoon,
by Southminster foot-post.
Andrews James, shopkeeper
Babbs Robert B., valuer & appraiser of agricultural property Bryant Cornls. barge owner & beerhouse
Cole Jas. butcher and parish clerk
Cressweil Rev. Thos. T., B.A., vicar
Dean Wm. , saddler, &c.
Dixey Geo. butcher and vict. , Star
Harlock Robert, beerhouse
Hewett John, vict., Sun and Anchor
Hewett Sarah Nancy, grocer
Shuttleworth Hannah, schoolmistress
Willis John, thatcher and beerhouse
BAKERS.
Cardnell George
Spooner Samuel
Wisbey Elijah
BLACKSMITHS
Dines John (and wheelwright)
Nunn George
FARMERS.
(+Bailiffs only.)
Babbs Robert B.
+Clarke Francis
+Coote James ( to Rd. Solly)
+Jacobs John
Laver Rt. , Choates
+White Philip, Grange
SHOEMAKERS.
Hales James
Ridgill Joseph