Tillingham Whites Directory in 1848
TILLINGHAM is a large village, pleasantly situated about two miles from the sea and the estuary of the Blackwater ; 3 miles N.E. of Southminster, and 11 miles E. by S. of Maldon. Its parish contains 1106 inhabitants, and 4135A. 3R. 29p. of land, including a broad tract of rich marsh land extending more than two miles along the sea coast, southward to Tillingham Grange, and northward to Bradwell creek. Several short creeks intersect the marsh, and the parish has many scattered farm houses. Fairs for toys, pedlery, &c., are held on Whit-Tuesday and September 16th, upon the village green, ( 1A.,) and the stallage belongs to the schoolmaster. The Dean and Chaper of St. Paul’s Cathedral, London, are lords of the manor, which was given to that church by the founder, Ethelbert, King of Kent. The Hall, an ancient brick mansion, near the church, is occupied by a farmer. A
great part of the parish belongs to the Marquis of Salisbury, W. H. Quayle, Esq. , J. L. Willes, J. Stowers, T. Babbs, J. Turner, and several smaller owners. Tillingham Grange, a farm, 2 miles S.E. of the village, was held by Thomas Cowstone, who was burnt for being a Protestant, in 1553. It afterwards passed, with Mowick, or Midlins, to the Fanshaw and Hollingsworth families. Pakkards is an estate partly in this and partly in Bradwell parish. Dr. William Clarke, dean of Winchester, having a lease of Tillingham Hall, and the demesne lands and great tithes of the marshes of Hall Wick, Middle Wick, and Weather Wick, bequeathed the clear yearly profits thereof, in 1679, for the augmentation of ten poor church livings, among which are those of Dedham and Hatfield Broad Oak, in this county.
The Church (St. Nicholas,) is an ancient edifice on an elevated site, and has a square embattled tower 60 feet high, containing five bells. Formerly it had a south aisle, but being in a state of decay it waspulled down in 1708, whenthe church underwent a complete repair. The walls are of extraordinary thickness, and the interior is handsomely pewed, and has a gallery at the west end. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £25. 3s. 9d., and in 1831 at £290, is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s, and incumbency of the Rev. George Vigne, B.A., who has 134. 3R. 36p. of glebe, and an old residence, chiefly of wood and plaster. The tithes were commuted in 1838, the vicarial for £335. 15s. , and the rectorial for £799.17s. per annum. The latter belong mostly to the patrons and partly to Dr. Clarke’s Charity, noticed above. Here is a Baptist Chapel, with a house for the minister, built in 1832, at the cost of about £800 . The Primitive Methodists have also a small meeting house here ; and in the village is a National School, attended by about 120 children, and supported by subscription and the payment of 1d. or 2d. per week by each scholar.
The poor of Tillingham have £3 7s. 10d. yearly from Aylett’s Charity. (See Southminster. ) Here is an Almshouse for four poor unmarried persons, founded pursuant to the will of Gregory Baker, in 1652, and endowed with £20 a year out of Sansom’s Farm, now belonging Mr. T. Babbs. Under the same donor’s will the poor parishioners have £10 a year for distribution in beef, out of a farm called Midlins. They have £2 yearly from Sympson’s Charity, (see Dengie, ) and £1 a year out of Reddings Farm, left by James Cockett, in 1733. An annuity of 30s., left to the poor by an unknown donor, out of Sweeting’s Land, at Steeple, has not been paid since 1809. This land is now the property of St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London. In 1789, James Maskell left a yearly rent-charge of £10 out of an estate called Marks, to be applied towards the support of a School for poor children, but it has not been paid since 1816, being rendered nugatory by the Mortmain Act.
POST OFFICE at Elizabeth Osborn’s. Letters desp. by Southminster, foot post, at 3 afternoon
Aylett John, wheelwright Carter John, schoolmaster
Claydon John, bricklayer
Collins Charles, carpenter
Collins Mr. Thomas
Cooper Clark, tailor
Downes George, machine owner
Dowsett Joseph, bricklayer
Felton George, plumber, painter, &c.
Gates James, policeman
Hazelton William, hairdresser
Hughes Isaac, carpenter, &c.
Osborn Eliz. druggist, Post Office
Osborn John, schoolmaster & parish clerk
Osborn Jno. W. plumber, painter, &c.
Powl Sarah, saddler, &c.
Roder cabinet maker
Vigne Rev. Geo. , B.A., Vicarage
Wash John, machine owner
Wesley Rev. George (Baptist)
Whimper Geo. Maber, surgeon & registrar
Wright John, pig jobber & carrier
INNS AND TAVERNS.
Cap & Feathers, George Vinson
Cock, Lydia Pearson
Swan, Charles Collins
FARMERS. (+ are Owners.)
Attenborough William, How
+Babbs Thomas, Sansom’s Farm
Cracknell James
Babbs Robert
Chillingworth Andrew, Blackbirds
Dines William, East Hyde
+Hedgeley James, Dotts and Melons
Jackson James, Leggatts
Laver John, ( bailiff, ) Grange
Payne William, Tillingham Hall
Poynter Samuel, jun. High House
Radley William. West Hyde
+Stowers John, Bridgmans
+Turner John, Hill Farm
+Willes John Laver, Marsh House
Willes Robert Hy. Reddings Farm
Willsmer Hannah
Wilson Isaac
BAKERS
Pond James
Osborn William
Willsmer Chas.
BLACKSMITHS.
Baxter James
Copsey Joseph
BUTCHERS
Allen Samuel
Maskell Richard
Peacock B. G.
GROCERS And Drapers.
Creasey William
Hart Stephen
Saward David
MILLINERS.
Cockett Ann M.
Turner Elizabeth
SHOEMAKERS.
Haws John
Potter Robert
Spooner John
Tyler George
STRAW HAT MAKERS.
Dines Elizabeth
Hardy Mary
Hughes Eliz .
CARRIERS
To Chelmsford, John Wright, Fri.
To Maldon, James Richardson & W. Pond, Mon., Tue., & Saturday