Quendon 1848 Whites directory

Quendon 1848 Whites directory

QUENDON, a small village on the London and Newmarket road, near the North-Eastern Railway, 2 miles S. of Newport Station, and 6 miles N.N.E. of Bishop Stortford, has in its parish 213 souls, and 643 acres of land, mostly belonging to Mrs. Ann Cranmer, the lady of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a large and handsome mansion of brick and stone, in the Elizabethan style, with a large park, stocked with deer and well-wooded. At the Domesday Survey, the manor belonged to Eudo Dapifer, and it afterwards passed to the noble families of Mandeville, Bohun, and Stafford. In 1520, it had become the property of Thomas Newman, who built the Hall, which was rebuilt in the 17th century by John Turner, Esq., who enclosed the park. It was sold during the last century to Henry Cranmer, Esq. , from whom it descended to the late James Powell Cranmer, Esq.
The Church is a small tiled building, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £9, and in 1831 at £165, is in the patronage of Mrs. Cranmer, and incumbency of the Rev. John Collin, sen. , M.A., who has a good residence, and 53A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £150 per annum.
Burgoyne Robert, carpenter & builder
Burls William, corn miller
Collin Rev. John, sen. M.A. rector of Quendon, and rural dean of Newport
Cranmer Mrs Ann, Quendon Hall
Day George, parish clerk
Edridge Susanna, farmer
Guyver Mr John
Hill Mr T.
Howard Rev. Henry, M.A. rector of Chickney
Mumford Thomas, grocer and draper
Patmore Mary, vict. King’s Head
Patmore William, butcher
Wratten William, shoemaker