Wimbish 1848 Whites directory

Wimbish 1848 Whites directory

WIMBISH, a pleasant straggling village, from 3 to 4 miles S.E. by E. of Saffron Walden, has in its parish 983 inhabitants, and 4581 acres of land, including THUNDERLEY hamlet, on the west ; Wimbish Green, 1 mile S.E. of the church, and many scattered farm-houses, &c. Thunderley was anciently a separate parish, but was consolidated with Wimbish in 1425. The soil is a deep heavy loam, on clay ; and there is much fine timber in the hedge rows. Thomas Selby, Esq., is lord of the principal manor ; and John Hudson May, Esq, and several smaller proprietors, have estates in the parish, mostly copyhold, and subject to arbitrary fines. The manor of Wimbish Hall was held by Ralph Baynard, at the Conquest, and afterwards by the Fitzgilbert, Fitzwalter, Wymondsel, Walford, and other families. The estate or manor of Tiptofts, near Sewer’s end, had its name from the ancient family of Tiptoft, and was bequeathed by Lord Mordaunt, in 1571 , to King’s Hall and Brazennoze College, Oxford, for the endowment of three scholarships. Broad Oaks estate was purchased in 1741, by Lord Maynard. Coldcotes was long held of the Earls of Oxford, by the Thunderley family, and was purchased in 1652, by Dr. Bromfield, who gave it to the poor of St. Andrew’s, Holborn, London. An estate called Abbots, belonged to Saffron Walden Abbey, and was granted to Lord Audley, by Henry VIII., but has since passed to various families .
Of Thunderley church, all traces disappeared many years ago. That manor was long held under the de Veres, by a family surnamed de Tunderley, and afterwards passed to the Wisemans.
Wimbish Church (All Saints,) is an ancient stone structure, except the tower, which having fallen down in 1740, was rebuilt of brick. In the chancel are several memorials of the Wiseman family. The sinecure rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £435, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Dolignon, M.A., of Hilborough, Norfolk. The united vicarages of Wimbish and Thunderley, valued in K.B. at £8, and in 1831 at £190, are in the patronage of J. Greensall Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. M. W. Foye, M.A., who has a good residence, and 11A. IR. 4P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841, the vicarial for £283, and the rectorial for £772 per annum; but of the latter, £204 belongs to J. H. May, Esq., as impropriator of the great tithes of Thunderley. For schooling six poor children, this parish has £4 yearly from Bernard’s Charity. ( See Little Bardfield. )

Barker Buttris, blacksmith
Butcher William, parish clerk
Franklin John, Elms
+Franklin Robert, Little Bridge
Foye Rev. Martin Wilson, M.A. vicar
French Edward, Gunters
Gayton Mrs Martha, Tiptofts
Harrison Charles, butcher
Jackson George, carpenter and vict. , White Hart

FARMERS. (+are Owners.)
Aldridge Thomas, Hyams
Archer Henry, Cold end
Barnard John, Freemans
Baynes John, Abbot’s Farm
+Bunton John, Rayments
Giblin Henry, Broad Oaks
Hall Thomas, Frogs green
Heard Daniel, Wimbish Parsonage
Kittredge James, bricklayer
Mills Edward, Howlett end
+Mills John, Hodges
Mynott James, Wiggles
Norris William, Maypole
Nottage Joseph, Wimbish Green
Prior James, Stonards
Tanuer John, Windmill
Thurgood John, Lower House
TownsendJno. ( &miller ) New House
Trayler William, Wimbish Hall
Willett William, Thunderley Parsonage
Winder Matthew, Thunderley Hall
+Wiseman William, Cold- end
Wright Thomas, Drylands

BEERHOUSES.
Chapman John
Mynott William (& miller)

SHOEMAKERS.
Barker Henry
Mascall Josiah

SHOPKEEPERS
Harrison Edw.
Richardson John
Savill Mary

LETTERS from Saffron Walden
CARRIER.
Edw. Harrison, to London, daily