Helion Bumpstead 1848 Whites Directory
BUMPSTEAD, ( HELION) is a large and pleasant village, at the north- western extremity of this Hundred, 3 miles S.W. of Haverhill, and 8 miles E.N.E. of Saffron Walden. Its parish contains 906 inhabitants, and 3132 acres of land, bounded on the north by Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, and giving rise to a rivulet which flows east-ward, through Steeple Bumpstead, to the Stour. It contains a large portion of rich meadow and pasture lands, and has many scattered farm-houses . It is in several manors, of which the following are the names and lords : ” Dengie Helions, the Governors of St. Thomas’s Hospital ; Bumpstead Hall and Steeple Bumpstead, J. Shaw, Esq.; and Olmsted Hall and Horsham Hall, belonging to Queen’s College, Cambridge. The hamlet of Olmsted Green, includes about 500 acres Green in Cambridgeshire, and anciently belonged to the Olmsted family, and was formerly considered a hamlet of Castlecamps. The manor of Dengie Helions was held at the survey by Tihel, or Ti Hellus Brito, one of the Britons or Armoricans who served in the rear of the Conqueror’s army. He was the founder of the Helion family, who were long seatedhere. An estate called Bublowes, belongs to the trustees of the late Richard Salway, Esq., and was given by Simon de Bub- lowe, at an early period, to the hospital of St. John, of Jerusalem.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is a plain stone fabric, consisting of a nave and south aisle, leaded ; a small tiled chancel, and a brick tower. The latter was built in 1812, and has six bells. There was formerly a guild here, dedicated to St. Peter. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13, and in 1831 at £176, is in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. John Hodgson, M.A. , who has a good residence, and 3½ acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842, the vicarial for £274. 16s., and the rectorial for £711.9s. 9d. The latter belong to the Trustees of the late Richard Salway, Esq. , and Wm. Gibson, Esq., of Ongar. The Church Land comprises 2R. 35P . Three cottages and a blacksmith’s shop have belonged to the poor parishioners from time immemorial.
Andrews Samuel, butcher
Bacon Edith, vict. Marquis of Granby
Betts John, parish clerk
Casbolt James, bricklayer
Cole Mrs Letitia, Hill Cottage
Dare William, corn factor, Parsonage
Emson Edmund, corn miller
Green Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Hodgson Rev. John, M.A. vicar
Humphreys Sarah, schoolmistress
Johnson Benjamin, cooper
Lee Adam, basket maker
Marten William, grocer, &c.
Mizen Charles, beerhouse – Pig and Whistle
Mizen Stephen, blacksmith
Nunn Harriet, schoolmistress
Ruse Thomas, carpenter
Steed William Michael, schoolmaster
Tilbrook William, farrier
Willis Sarah, shopkeeper
Wright Abrm. vict. and carpenter, Carpenters’ Arms
BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Bacon John
Moore William
Wright Robert
FARMERS.
Bacon James
Carter Rebecca
Chapman Daniel
Cole John
Cole Robert
Cole Samuel, Upper House
Emson Daniel Kent, Hall
Lawrence Chas.
Lofts James
Parker Samuel
Pool Robert
Ruffle George, Horsham Hall
Stubbing John, Helions
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Betts David
Betts John