Bradwell next Coggeshall 1848 Whites Directory
BRADWELL NEXT COGGLESHALL is a scattered village and parish, on the south side of the river Blackwater, 2 miles W. of Coggeshall, and 3 miles E. of Braintree, containing 293 souls, and 1171 acres of land. It has its name from a spring, or broad well, out of which the water flows so copiously, that it turns an overshot mill in its course to the Blackwater. The latter, which is crossed by a wooden bridge, gives name to the hamlet of Blackwater, which is partly in this, but mostly in Stisted parish . Bradwell lies low, and the soil in some parts is heavy. Bradwell Hall, now a farm-house, contains some finely carved wainscoting, and formerly stood in a park. It gives name to the manor, which was long held by the Hende or Hinde family, from whom it passed to the Bassets, Bonhams, and Maxeys. The latter were seated here in the 16th and 17th centuries, and their heiress married Martin Carter, Esq. , of Saling Hall. M.P.C. Brunwin, Esq. , is now lord of the manor, and has a pleasant seat here, called Park House. He owns most of the soil, and the rest belongs to R. S. Edwards, T. Rowland, W. Hutley, J. Goodey, and a few smaller owners. The Rev. Sir J. P. Wood, Bart. , LL.B., resides in the house at Glazenwood, where there are 52 A. of land, laid out and planted as a nursery, orchard, and pleasure grounds, by Mr. Samuel Curtis, publisher of the Botanical Magazine, and now of the Victoria Park, London.
The CHURCH ( Holy Trinity,) is a small ancient fabric, with a tower containing three bells, and crowned by a spire. In the chancel are some stately monuments, belonging to the Maxey and Carter families. One has kneeling effigies of Sir Anthony Maxey and his lady. Among many fine paintings at Park House, is one by Sir P. Lely, of Sir Wm. Maxey, who commanded at the siege of Colchester. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £260, is in the gift of M. P. C. Brunwin, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. P. M. Brunwin, B.A. , who has a good residence, and 30A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted, in 1839, for £345 per ann. The Poor’s Land, given at an early period by an unknown donor, with an allotment of one rood awarded to it, about 16 years ago, comprises 7A. 2R. , let for about £24 a year, which is distributed among poor parishioners who are not receiving parochial relief.
Brunwin Milbourne Peter Carter, Esq. Park House
Brunwin Rev. Peter Maxey, B.A. Rectory
Brunwin Miss Henrietta, Cottage
Chalk George, shopkeeper
Evers Mrs. school, and John, shoemaker
Goodey Mr James
Humphreys Joseph, wheelwright
Hutley Charles, blacksmith
Simonds Charles, vict. Bull Inn
Wood Rev. Sir Jno. Page, Bart. , LL.B. vicar of Cressing, &c ; h Glazenwood, and London
FARMERS.
Ardley John
Raven William
Ham Samuel, Bless’d end
Hutley William Edwards
Orpen William (and corn miller)
Page David (and butcher)
Porter John and Samuel (and maltsters, ) Bridge Hall
Wade Daniel, Bradwell Hall
Williams Thomas, Capons
POST from Braintree