Chappel 1848 Whites Directory
CHAPPEL, or PONTISBRIGHT, is a picturesque village and parochial chapelry, on the south bank of the river Colne, 7 miles W.N W. of Colchester, and 6 miles E.S.E. of Halstead. It contains 429 inhabitants and 996A. 3R. 21 P. ofland. The Colchester and Stour Valley Railway will cross the Colne valley here by a stupendous Viaduct, of which the first stone was laid in September, 1847. This viaduct will be 1066 feet long, and will cross the valley by 30 semicircular arches, each 30 feet in span. The height of the rails above the river will be 80 feet. Extensive embankments, 50 feet in height, formed of earth brought from deep cuttings on each side of the valley, will join the viaduct. It is said the latter will cost about £20,000, and will require from 5 to 6 million bricks. This great work is expected to be finished, and the line opened, about the close of 1848.
Chappel, or Chapel, was anciently called Pontisbright, and was part of the parish of Great Tey. A chapel was built here by the inhabitants in 1355, and they had afterwards many disputes with the vicar of Great Tey, till 1533, when the Bishop of London, with the consent of all parties, ordered that the inhabitants of Pontisbright should provide a priest for their own chapel, and that he should have the vicarial tithes of the chapelry, and also 20s. a-year from the vicar of Great Tey. A fair for toys ,
&c. , is held here on the Tuesday after June 11th. The copyhold lands belong the manors of Great Tey, Bacons, and Bourchier’s Hall. The principal land owners are T. B. Western, Esq. , C. W. Crickett, Esq. , and Messrs. J. and W. M. Farrow, J. Hills, J. J. Mechi, W. Dean, &c.
The Church, or chapel, is a small ancient edifice, with a wooden turret and spire. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at only £70. It is in the patronage of the parishioners and incumbency of the Rev. J. Clarryvince, M.A., who has the rent of a copyhold tenement and 8A. of land given by John Leving, in the reign of Henry VIII.
The great tithes belong mostly to the sinecure rectory of Great Tey, and both them and the vicarial tithes have been commuted for rent charges. The poor have £30 a year as the rent of a cottage, and 14.5A. of land called Machons, and given by Robert Hoolde, in 1454.
Bayley Miss, Broom House
Clarryvince Rev. John, M.A. incumbent; house Earl’s Colne
Cocke Thomas, surgeon
Gaywood Henry, grocer and draper
Greenwood John, blacksmith
Goodman Elijah, saddler, &c.
Halls Lucy, vict. Swan Inn
Letherdale Jas. carpenter & beerhouse
Patten Anthony, vict. Rose & Crown
Pilgrim William, corn dealer
Potter Thomas, baker
Williamson James, shoemaker
FARMERS.-(+ are Owners. )
+Dean William Esq. Rose Cottage
+Farrow John & Jas. Ivy Chimneys
+Farrow William, Morley, Blowers
Gooday Golding (cattle dealer)
Pettitt Hugh
Sharp John
+Stedman John, Pope’s Farm