Debden 1848 Whites Directory

Debden 1848 Whites Directory

DEBDEN, a scattered village including Debden-Green, Smith-Green, Amberden End, &c. , is pleasantly situated 4 miles S.S.E. of Saffron Walden, and nearly 2½ miles E. of Newport Railway Station. It has a fair for toys, &c. , on June 1st. Its parish is picturesquely broken into hill and dale, and contains 979 inhabitants, 4404 acres of land, which belonged to Ralph Peverell at the Domesday Survey, but was afterwards divided into several manors and estates. DEBDEN HALL, a large and handsome mansion in an extensive and well-wooded park, is the seat of, and gives name to a manor, belonging to Sir Fras. Vincent, Bart. This manor was granted by Henry VIII as parcel of the Duchy of Lancaster, to Thomas Lord Audley, from whose only daughter it descended to her son, Thomas, Baron Howard de Walden and Earl of Suffolk. In 1715, it was sold, with the manor of Deynes, to Richard Chiswell, Esq., whose grandson erected the present mansion in 1791 , from a design by R. Holland. The daughter and heiress of the latter married Sir Francis Vincent, Bart. , of Stoke d’Abernon, Surrey, whose baronetcy was created in 1620. The present baronet was born in 1803, and succeeded to the family estates in 1809.
The Hall stands on rising ground, above a fine sheet of water ; and the south-eastern front, built in the Grecian style, and ornamented with stately pillars, has a good effect. The park is agreeably diversified, and from shady walks on the higher grounds, fine views are presented over the surrounding country. Amberden Hall, now a farmhouse, two miles S.S.E. of the church, gives name to a manor belonging to John Farran, Esq. , and had formerly a chapel and a large park . It anciently formed part of the possessions of Ely Abbey, and was afterwards held by the Berners, Fynderne, Dacre, Stone-house, and other families . Other estates in the parish, called Weld-barnes, Tendring, Mole Hall, &c. , belong to the Rev. J. Collin, the Rev. F. Hall, and several smaller owners.
The Church ( St. Mary,) is a handsome Gothic structure within the park, shaded by a fine grove. It was originally built in the cathedral form, with two aisles, a nave, and chancel, and the tower in the centre. The tower fell down many years ago, and demolished the chancel, which was rebuilt in its original style, with elegant and appropriate ornaments. The building owes much of its neatness to the late R. M. T. Chiswell, Esq., who erected several family monuments, richly ornamented in the pointed-arch style, in an octangular chapel at the east end. He also gave the font, an elegant piece of workmanship in Coade’s artificial stone, ornamentedwith statues. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £34, and in 1831 at £880, is in the patronage of Sir Francis Vincent, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. W. J. Totton, M.A., who has a large and handsome residence, and 50A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for £1010 per annum. The poor of Debden have £6 a year from Measant’s Charity ( see Henham,) and a yearly rent-charge of 20s. , left by William Bendlowe, out of land at Bardfield, now belonging to Mr. Fitch. The rector distributes £3 yearly among three poor labourers, as charged on the tithes byDr. Thomas Carter, in 1697. The overseers have long held a house and cottage, and 3A, of land, given by unknown donors, and now let for £15. 5s. a year, which is carried to the poor rates. The Almshouses, which were given, in 1774, by Mr. Chiswell, in lieu of others left by Sir John Stonehouse, consist of eight tenements, partly occupied by paupers, and partly let by the overseers to labourers, at low rents. BATHURST’S CHARITY to the poor of Debden consists of a house at Bucklersbury, now let for £78 per annum, and said to have been given by a Mr. Bathurst, merchant of London, whose will cannot be found, as appears by the last trust deed, dated 1810. The rector and Sir F. Vincent are the trustees, and the latter pays £18 yearly in consideration of £600 said to have been retained by his family from unapplied income; but he does not hold himself legally responsible for this payment.
More than half of the income of this charity is applied by the rector in educating and clothing poor children; and the rest is distributed among the aged and infirm poor parishioners.

DEBDEN.
Boatman John, blacksmith, &c.
Bunting Joseph, corn miller
Dennison Sarah & Tant My. schoolmistress
Francis Sophia, schoolmistress
Johns Charles, vict. Old Ship
Kitterage Allen, wheelwright
Mansfield Henry, schoolmaster
Randall Mr John
Saville James, vict. White Hart
Thomason John, parish clerk
Thomason James, carpenter
Totton Rev. William Jurin, M.A. Rectory
Vincent Sir Fras. , Bart. Debden Hall

FARMERS.
Andrew William
Barnard John
Bass Henry
Bass Lydia
Bass William, Wright’s Farm
Bunting John, Slow Farm
Perry Richard, Old Amberden Hall
Perry Robert, Mole Hall
Pool Thomas, Tendrings
Smith James, Brocton’s Farm
Smith Samuel, Deynes
Stubbing Robert, Leggetts
Thurgood Ann, Thistley Hall
Welch Thomas, Debden Hall Farm
White John, Brick House
White William, New House
Willett Eliz. New Amberden Hall

BEER HOUSES.
Bentley John – Three Horse Shoes
Wright James

BOOT & SHOE MAKERS.
Brooks John
Clark George
Holgate John
Johns Charles
Cowell William
Chipperfield Ann
Lindsell Richard
Holland Henry, Weldbarnes
Holland John, Sibleys
Mansfield Jonathan, Ponds
Simpson George

SHOPKEEPERS.
Lacey Thomas
Marshall William
Marten Joseph
Richardson Har.

TAILORS.
Monk James
Monk Stephen
Potts George
LETTERS from Saffron Walden