Dedham 1848 Whites Directory

Dedham 1848 Whites Directory

DEDHAM, a small and well built town which formerly had a market, is pleasantly situated at the north- east angle of Lexden Hundred, on the south side of the river Stour, which divides it from Suffolk. It is a little below Stratford Bridge, where it has a suburb called Dedham Green, on the Ipswich road, 6½ miles N.N.E. of Colchester, and 4miles W. of Manningtree. Its parish contains 1787 inhabitants, and about 2600 acres of land, extending down the vale to its junction with the tidal waters of the Stour, and intersected by the Black Brook rivulet ; but the southern parts, on and near Dedham Heath, (now enclosed,) are high and dry, and have many scattered houses. As early as the reign of Richard II ., Dedham was a seat of the woollen manufacture, which continued to flourish here for some centuries, but was discontinued many years ago. It formerly had a market every Tuesday, and has still a fair for pedlery, &c. , on Easter Tuesday. The parish has been variously spelt Dedham, Delham, and Dyham, and is in two MANORS, viz. , Dedham Hall, of which Wm. Hutton, Esq. , of London, is lord ; and Over and Nether Hall, of which Mrs. Smythies, of Colchester, is lady ; but the soil is chiefly copyhold, and belongs to W. Downes, T. L. Ewen, E. Reeve, W. Mules, D. Blyth, W. W. Francis, E. Cook, W. Ellis, C. Eyre, H. T. Elle- combe, W. R. Richards, and several smaller proprietors, some of whom have neat houses here, with tasteful pleasure grounds. Dedham Hall belonged, at an early period, to the Stutevilles, and was sold in 1629 by Charles I. The other manor was held by the Dedham family, and was given to Campesey nunnery, in Suffolk. At the Dissolution, it was granted to Humphrey Wingfield, and it afterwards passed to the Seckfords and Watkinsons.
The Church ( Virgin Mary,) is a large and handsome building in the perpendicular style, with a spacious nave, ailes, and chancel, covered with lead ; and an elegant tower at the west end, rising to the height of 131 feet, containing eight bells,
and terminated by enriched battlements and pinnacles. It has evidently been erected on the foundations of a former edifice ; and beneath some of the arches are the arms of York and Lancaster, so that it was no doubt built soon after the union of those royal houses. It has a good organ and several handsome monuments. On the east side of the battlements is a statue of Margaret, Countess of Richmond.
The rectory was appropriated to Butley Priory, Suffolk, and after the dissolution, it remained with the Crown, till James I. granted it to Robert Strafford. It forms part of the endowment of the Lectureship, which is noticed below, and is now held by the Rev. Geo. Taylor, D.C.L. The Vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10 . Os. 2d,, and in 1831 at £179, is in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster, and in- cumbency of the Rev. Robert Scarlett Grignon, B.A. It was augmented with £30 a year by Dr. William Clarke, as noticed below.
The tithes were commutted in 1843. In the town is an Independent Chapel, belonging to a congregation formed in 1736, and having a house for the minister. The parish has a large and well endowed Grammar Sohool, a National School, and various Bequests for cha- ritable and other uses. In 1595, William CARDINALL devised to the Governors of Dedham Grammar School, a farm, at Great Bromley, in trust to apply the yearly rent towards the support of two poor boys of Dedham, or Great Bromley, at St. John’s College, Cambridge, who should be fit to go there from the said Grammar School. Five acres of land, purchased with £86, belonging to the poor parishioners, have been added to this farm, which now comprises 49A. 2R. 26P., and a good dwelling-house and outbuildings, erected since 1818, at the cost of about £500. It is let for about £60 per annum. There has been no claim to the rents, on the part of an Exhibitioner, for many years, and the clear income has been paid to the Lecturer of the parish church, (who is appointed by the Governors,) though part of it belongs to the poor. The donor’s will gives a discretionary power to the Governors, of applying the income to such charitable or godly uses as they thought most ” meet and requisite,” when not claimed by any Exhibitioners. The Lecturer has also the rent of a small estate at Chattisham, purchased by the Governors in 1699.
The Vicar has £30 per annum, from the Trustees of Dr. Wm. Clarke’s Charity, founded in 1679, for augmenting poor livings in ten parishes. The Bishop of Londonand the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s, are trustees of this charity, which is derived from land and tithes at Tillingham. In 1703, the REV. WM. BURKITT, author of a commentary on the New Testament, bequeathed his mansion house, in Dedham, for the residence of the Lecturer, who should be chosen by the Governors of the Grammar School, and should preach on Sunday afternoons, and on Tuesday mornings. For the better support of the lecturer, he purchased lands at Wix, with money given by Dr. Eades, and other donors. The land at Wix was sold in 1704, for £300, which, with £300 more, raised by subscription, was laid out in purchasing the impropriate Rectory of Dedham, which has since been enjoyed by the Lecturer, who is bound to repair the chancel as well as the Parsonage House, and required to preach every Sunday evening and every Tuesday.

The rents of CLACTON LAND and CRAB MEADOW are applied in repairing and ornamenting the church . The former comprises 27A. 1R. 8P., in Little Clacton, purchased with £163. 6s. 8d. belonging to the parish, in 1616, and now let for £35 a year. Crab Meadow consists of la. lk. 16P., at Stratford St. Mary, in Suffolk, and is let for £2. 12s. 6d. It is not known from what source the parish derived it.
DEDHAM FREE GRAMMAR SCHOOL was built, with a house for the master, early in the 16th century, by Dame Joan Clarke, and was endowed, in 1571, by William Littlebury, with Ragmarsh Farm, which comprises 1824. 1R. 3P. of land, in the parishes of Bradfield and Wrabness, now let for £270 a year. This farm was vested by the donor, with 23 trustees, to pay the clear yearly rent to a schoolmaster, who should have taken a degree in the University, and should teach grammar and writing freely to 20 of the poorest men’s children in Dedham, Ardleigh,
Much (or Great) Bromley, and Bradfield, in Essex ; and of Stratford, in Suffolk.
By letters patent of Queen Elizabeth, in 1579, the Vicar of Dedham, and 23 others, were incorporated by the name of the ” Governors of the Free Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth, in Dedham,” with power to make orders and rules for the better government of the said school. The Governors have since required the master to employ an usher to teach writing, accounts, and the usual branches of an English education ; and have increased the number offree scholars to 40, selected by them from the five parishes named by the donor. About half of them are generally from Dedham. They are admitted without any charge for instruction, and those not learning Latin and Greek, are provided with copy books and stationery at the master’s expense, and are taught in a detached school, by an usher. There ure usually two other assistants employed in the Grammar School, where there are generally about ten free scholars, and fifty boarders. There is ample accommodation for the latter in the master’s house, which was rebuilt in 1731. In respect of the school premises, 24. 2R. 38P. of land was allotted at the enclosure of Dedham, and it is let for £4 per annum. The rent of the Ragmarsh Farm, ( £270, ) after deducting a portion to liquidate the debt incurred in rebuild- ing the farm-house, and for repairing the school premises, &c. , is paid to the master, pursuant to a decree of the Lord Chancellor, in 1813. The Governors ap- point the master and free- scholars, and the system now pursued extends the bene- fits of the establishment to all classes of persons in the town and neighbourhood.
The higher orders have the opportunity of sending their sons to a Grammar School, at a moderate expense, and the lower orders have the opportunity of ob- taining for their sons, without any charge, such instruction, as may fit them for tradesmen or shopkeepers, or a classical education, if they have reason to expect that it will confer any advantage on them. An ENGLISH SCHOOL, with ahouse for the master, was given by Edmund Sherman, in 1599, and it was endowed in 1642, with a yearly rent-charge of £6, left by John Marsh, out of Dedham Hall estate. At the Dedham enclosure, an allotment of 14. was awarded in respect of the school premises, and it now lets for £2. 5s. per annum. There is also belonging to this school SA. 38P. of land, called Purney Heath, and let for £10 a year, but it is not known how it was acquired. The Governors of the Grammar School are the trustees, and the master instructs eight poor boys as free scholars, in reading, writing, and accounts. The master has also about 50 pay scholars , soine of whom are boarders. In aid ofthe NATIONAL SCHOOL, £3.16s. 8d. is paid yearly, as the rent of about 5A. , at Stoke by Nayland, given in 1698, by the Rev. William Burkitt, towards the support of School Dames, appointed by the Vicar.

In 1517, Stephen Dunton left nine ALMSHOUSES for the use of seven poor people, to be placed therein by the Churchwardens; and he endowed them with 2A. 2R. 19P. of land, behind the Almshouses, called Row Meadow, and let for £10.10s. per annum. He directed two of the tenements to be let, and the rents applied in buying fuel for the seven almspeople. In 1571, WM. LITTLEBURY left an estate, called Brocks and Brewses , and directed about two-thirds of the yearly rent thereof to be divided among the poor people in these almshouses, and the residue amongst the aged and infirm poor of the parish. This estate is now let for about £80 a year, and comprises 69A. 8p. The old Almshouses were pulled down in 1806, when ten new dwellings were erected, at the cost of £599 . In 1811, out- buildings were erected, at the cost of £53. 13s. 4d. Two persons are allowed to reside in each house, so that there are now twenty almspeople, who receive small weekly payments and a yearly allowance offuel. The Governors of the Grammar School are trustees. Four other Almshouses here, were founded by the late Mrs. Mary Barfield, of Colchester, for four aged widows, with an endewment of 4s a week, and a chaldron of coals yearly for each. The Independent minister and others are trustees. In 1571, Wm. Littlebury also left £100, to be lent out in sums of £20, free of interest, for seven years, on good security, to five honest young men brought up in cloth making. For the same purpose Hugh May left £40, in 1604 ; John Marsh, £40, in 1642 ; and Robert Freeman and Rev. Turner, £32, about 1690. The trade of clothiers , for whose benefit the chief part of this money, called the TOWN STOCK, was intended, is not now carried oninthe parish, and the parties now enjoying the loans are mostly small trades- men, and some of them small farmers and labourers. Part of the money has been lost. The Town LANDS, consisting of 354. 109., and a cottage, in Ardleigh parish, distributed in coals and money, by the Churchwardens and Overseers, amongst the poor parishioners. EDWARD BETTS, in 1825, left to the Vicar and Church-wardens £500 four per cent. stock, in trust, to distribute the dividends among the industrious poor parishioners, attending the church, in coals, bread, blankets,
&c. This stock is now in the 35 per cents. The poor have also the interest of £90, left by GRACE MARRATT, in 1825.

DEDHAM.
Ames John, tinner and brazier
Ayles John, gent.
Craigh Mrs Austin Robert, wine & spirit merchant
Baker Whitmore, veterinary surgeon
Barker John, tailor and postmaster
Barstow Thomas Jno. solicitor &d ep. coroner
Bidwell William and Henry H. surgeons
Blomfield Robert, collector
Booth William, grocer, draper, tallow
chandler, and insurance agent
Collins Reuben, solicitor’s clerk
Constable Abraham, gentleman
Cooper Samuel, gent.
Davy Miss Curtis
Mrs Elton
Mrs A M Downing
Godfrey, chemist & druggist
Double Mr James, Whitmore Place
Downes William Esq. Hill House
Ellis Rev. Edward Chauncey, surrogate, and rector of Langham
Ellis Welbore, Esq. (and London)
Ewen T. L’Estrange, Esq. Rookery Eyres Rev. Charles, M.A. Lower Park
Felgate James, edge tool maker Firmin Harcourt, solicitor
Folkard John, carrier
Gardener Thomas, excise officer
Griffith Frederick, furniture broker
Grignon Rev Robt. Scarlett, B.A. Vicar
Gunnell George, Esq.
Ham William, tailor and glover
Hitchcock Ebenezer, earthenware dealer and parish clerk
Hitchcock Enoch, cooper & shopkeeper
Laundy Henry, nurseryman, &c.
Lee William, wheeler and coach maker
Le Neve Lieut. A. Peter, R.N.
Manning Alderman, gentleman
Mason Philip, corn miller
Mules William Esq. Grove
Osborne William, wheelwright
Platten Corder, day & bdg. school
Ray Robt. ironmonger, hair dresser, stationer and insurance agent
Reeve Edw. gent. Rookery Cottage
Reynolds Rev. Osborn, M.A. master of Grammar School
RichardsWm. Rolph, Esq, Birch Wood
Rumsey Miss A.
Mumford Mrs
Saunders Hannah, druggist, &c.
Scott William, grocer, draper, & worsted manutacturer
Segrave Captain O’Neil
Tabor James, gentleman Taylor Rev. George, D.C.L. lecturer
Taylor Thomas, cattle dealer
Trew Rev. John, (Independent min.)
Whislay Robert, tailor, & Samuel tinner
White William, tailor
Wilkinson Mrs. gentlewoman

INNS AND TAVERNS
Anchor, Samuel Osborne
Compasses, Michael Blundell
Gun, William Burrows
Lamb, Robert Osborne, (poulterer)
Marlborough Head, James Ransom, (and brewer)
Rose and Crown, Nathaniel Saunders
Sun Inn, James Bush

BAKERS
Fitch Charles
Page John

BEERHOUSES.
Gordon John
Gordon Robert
Watson Abraham, (and brewer)

BLACKSMITHS
Bird Hannah
Pettit Robert
Poppey Jeremiah
Watson James

BRICKMAKERS.
Baker William
Howell Hugh

BUTCHERS.
Bacon William
Ham William
Lockwood Moses

CARPENTERS, &C.
Barber John
Saunders Natl .
White Alexander, ( & wheelwright)

FARMERS.
Bacon William
Baker William
Blomfield John
Blyth Daniel
Elton Jacob
Felgate Samuel
Felgate William
Freeman John
FreemanNicholas
Goulder W.
Manning William
Mason Thomas
Moss Peter Parsons Wm. ( & maltster)
Smith J. , Lodge
Turner John
White John
Wordley John

PLUMBERS, &c.
Howard Nathaniel
Rice Joseph

SADDLERS.
Shoebridge Geo.
Souter James

SHOEMAKERS.
Gordon John
Gordon Robert
Halbrow Robert
Marratt George
Sherman William

SHOPKEEPERS.
Barber Benjamin
Booth William
Cant Jacob
Hitchcock Enoch
Mason Robert
Ray Robert
Scott William
Turner Thomas
White John

POST from Colchester, daily
CARRIER.
Folkard John, to Colchester.