Dengie Whites Directory in 1848

Dengie Whites Directory in 1848
DENGIE, or Dengey, which gives name to this Hundred, is a parish of scattered houses on the north side of the vale of a small rivulet or creek, 2 miles W. of the sea coast, 3 miles E.N.E. of Southminster, and 9 miles E.S.E. of Maldon. It has 219 inhabitants, and 2306A. 1R. 29P. of land, partly in low marshes, near the creek. About 160A. of common was enclosed in 1845. Captain Henry Fanshawe is lord of the manor of Dengie Hall ; but a great part of the parish belongs to J. Grice, J. Lozell, R. Page, J. Malden, C. G. Round, and several smaller owners . A reputed manor, called Bacons, is held by various proprietors.
The Church (St. James,) is an ancient tiled building, with a wooden tower and two bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £13, and in 1831 at £762, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Octavius Brock, M.A., who has a good residence and 14A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The National School was built by subscription and a small Government grant. The poor parishioners have £1 16s. yearly from Aylett’s Charity, (see Southminister 😉 and £34 per annum from four cottages and 8A. of land, called George’s, left in 1684, by Thomas Sympson. The property is let for £36, but is charged with the payment of £2 yearly to the poor of Tillingham.
Barrett Robert, blacksmith
Brock Rev. Octavius, M.A. rector
Fletcher Thomas, veterinary surgeon
Grove William, vict. White Horse
Harvey William, parish clerk
Price Rev. John, B.A. curate
Smith Roseanna, schoolmistress

FARMERS.
Hales John, Keelings
Jackson James, Bacons
Jackson Mary, Land Wick
Malden James, sen. & jun. Hall
Nichols James
Grove William jun.

LETTERS from Maldon