East Donyland and Rowhedge1848 Whites Directory

East Donyland 1848 Whites Directory
DONYLAND, (EAST) a small village, 3 miles S.S.E. of Colester, has in its parish about 1400 acres, 793 inhabitants, and the fishing village of ROWHEDGE, on the west bank of the river Colne, opposite Wivenhoe, where there are some valuable oyster beds, and about fifty fishing boats. It adjoins Berechurch, or West Donyland, and at the Domesday survey it belonged to the Earl of Boulogne and others. Most of it was afterwards held by St. John’s Abbey, Colchester, and after the dissolution of that house it was sold to Sir Francis Jobson. Philip Havens, Esq. , is now lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. He resides at the Hall, a neat mansion, with woody pleasure grounds, near the confluence of the small river Roman with the Colne. The Hall and gardens were much improved about 1735, by Daniel Gausel, Esq. , who enclosed the park.
The old Church (St. Laurence) being much decayed, and inconveniently situated, part of its materials were used in the erection of the present Church, at Rowhedge, which was consecrated in 1838, and has a singular appearance, being of an octagon shape, in imitation of the Chapter House of York Cathedral. It contains a handsome marble monument, removed from the old church, in memory of one of the Grays, formerly seated here. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £215, has 40 acres of glebe, which is let with the parsonage house, a small old building. P. Havens, Esq. , is patron, and the Rev. Vicessimus McGie Torriano, of Colchester, is the incumbent.
The tithes have been commuted for £220 per annum. The parish has an old cottage, given by one Kingsbury, about 1718, for the poor.

EAST DONYLAND AND ROWHEDGE
Adams Edward, grocer, &c.
Collison James, parish clerk
Crickmore John, jun. carpenter
Everitt Joseph, butcher
Gonner J. S. registrar, &c.
Havens Philip and Wm. Rawdon, Esqrs. , East Donyland Hall
Harris James, shipwright & beerhouse
Houlding Samuel, jun., collector
Levett George, gent.
Sycamore William
Mason William, blacksmith
Parker Philip, beerseller
Rayner John, maltster
Turffrey Robert, shopkeeper
Wasp James, wharfinger

INNS AND TAVERNS.
Ship, Robert Pitt, (bricklayer)
Three Crowns, William Cheek
Whalebone, David Martin
White Lion, George Turner, (& coal merchant )

BAKERS.
Martin John
Pitt John

FARMERS.
Blomfield Robert, (& Colchester)
Crickmore John, Glebe farm
Houlding Samuel
Mustard Mrs L.
Purkis James
Wright John, (and Wivenhoe)

SMACK OWNERS AT ROWHEDGE.
(+ ship owners. )
Allen Thomas
+Barnard Thomas

Cheek William
Clark James
Deeks RobertEaston Jeremiah
Everitt Samuel
James Daniel
Lawrence J.
Martin Daniel
Mothersole James
+Willett Joseph, ( & merchant)

POST from Colchester, daily