Fairstead 1848 Whites Directory
FAIRSTEAD, a small parish, 4 miles W.N.W. of Witham, is watered by a rivulet, and has a hilly and well-wooded surface. It includes the small villages called Fuller Street and Ranks Green, and contains 306 inhabitants and 1853A. 1R. 35P. of land. Lord Rayleigh is lord of the manors of Fairsted and Walley, or Wileigh Hall. The latter is an ancient farm-house, nearly encompassed by a moat, and having an outbuilding called Lady Wydelin’s chapel. Mr. Thomas Speakman, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish, which formerly belonged to the Ferrers, Oglethorpe, Scott, and other families.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a small antique edifice, with a tower, containing four bells, and crowned by a lofty shingled spire. The old open benches remain in the nave, but the chancel is partly pewed. The tower is of stone, intermixed with Roman bricks. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £435, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. John Cox, M.A., who has a large and handsome residence, and 84A, 3R. 7P. of glebe, most of which was given by Sir P. Basset, for keeping the anniversary of his brother, who had been Bishop of London. The advowson was given to the see of London, by Roger Rydel, about 1225. For distribution in coals, the poor have the dividends of £227 5s. 6d. three per Cent. Consols, purchased with £200 left by James Carter, in 1828.
LETTERS, via Witham
Chalk John, beerhouse, Ranks Green
Cook Wm. shoemakers. & beerhouse, Fuller st
Cox Rev. John, M.A. Rectory
Shadrach Daniel Barnard, joiner, shopkpr. & beerhouse, Fuller st
Thorrogood Samuel, shopkeeper Witney Robert, higler
FARMERS.
Andrews Charles, Ashwells
Bentall Wm. Walley Hall
Collard Thomas, Ranks Green
Hammond Thos.
Wisby Rober
Hills James, Blickes
Speakman Thomas, Lodge
Speakman T, jun. , Fairsted Hall
Wright John
Willis George