Great Tey 1848 Whites Directory
TEY (GREAT) is a pleasant village, 7 miles W. by N. of Col- chester, and 4 miles N.E. of Coggeshall ; and about 2 miles from Marks Tey and Chappel Railway Stations. Its parish contains 733 inhabitants, and 2478A. 3R. 3p. of land, extending southward to Pattocks Green, and westward to Buckler’s Green. It has many scattered houses, and the soil is very fertile, and has a more abundant mixture of clay than the neighbouring parishes. The small Roman river has its source here. The manor of Great Tey, or Tay, was held by Duke Athalstan before the Conquest, and afterwards by the Earl of Boulogne. King Stephen gave it to his third son, William. It afterwards passed to the Fitz-Walter, Montgomery, Audley, and other families ; but now belongs to Robert Hills, Esq. , of Colne Park. The manor house was a seat of the Montgomeries, and was burnt down many years ago. Bacons and Flories form a smaller manor, of which John Rogers , Esq., is lord. Part of the parish belongs to several smaller owners. Wareyns is the seat and property of J. G. Lay, Esq. , Trumpingtons, called also Fidlers, is a large farm, which had formerly a moated mansion.
The Church ( Saint Barnabas,) stands on an eminence, and is a fine ancient structure, with side aisles, and a large square tower, rising between the nave and chancel, and containing a musical peal of eight bells, the ringers of which are said to excel all others in this part of the county. The aisles are separated from the nave by massive pillars, supporting semi-circular arches. The lead of the south aisle being cast into bullets during the civil wars, its place was supplied by tiles. The sinecure rectory, valued in K.B. at £18, and in 1831 at £620, was appropriated to a chantry founded in Dunmow priory church, in 1411 , and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. John Prowett, M.A. The rector is always patron of the vicarage, which was valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1831 at £217 ; and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. J. B. Storry, M.A., who is also patron of the rectory, and has 15A. 3R. 30p. of glebe. The great tithes of Chappel parish belong to the sinecure rectory of Great Tey. The tithes have been commuted, and the vicar’s rent-charge is £209. 5s. per annum. Here is a National School, attended by about 80 boys and girls. About A.D. 1660, Samuel Hills bequeathed, in trust for the poor of this parish, Crouch House Farm, which comprises 13A. 23P. in the parishes of Colne-Wakes and Chappel, and is now let for £20 a year, which is distributed by the church-wardens. Here is an acre of pasture ground, called the Camping Close, the herbage of which belongs to J. G. Lay, Esq. , but the people of this and the neighbouring parishes have, from time immemorial, held the right of using the field as a play ground. A fair for toys and pedlery is held min. policeman the village on Trinity Morday.
Butcher William, policeman
Crabb James, vict. Eight Bells
Dedham Josiah , shoemaker
Evans William senior, beerhouse
Evans William junior, wheelwright
Firman John, schoolmr. & organist
Firman Joseph, vict. Chequers
Goodey Joseph, cattle dealer
Herman Samuel, parish clerk
Lay John Goodall, Esq. corn merchant, Wareyns ( and Mark lane)
Lay Mr John Watson
Lockwood Bernand, butcher
Monkhouse Rev. Henry, B.A. curate
Overitt John, gardener, &c.
Pool Samuel, shopkeeper
Prowett Rev. John, M.A. rector
Ringer John, blacksmith and shopkeeper
Smith John, carpenter
Smith Samuel beerhouse keeper
Sparks Susannah, corn miller
Storry Rev. John Bridge, M.A. vicar
Webb Wm. gardener, Cherry gardens
Williams Humphrey, gardener
FARMERS.
Cloughton Thomas, Flories
Corder William
Crabb Samuel Goodey Golding
Hills Francis Everitt Joseph ( Exors. of, ) Howchins
Kemp William
Lockwood Bernard
Lockwood Henry, Trumpingtons
leshall
Norton James
Dennis William
Pettitt Henry, Tey Brook
Sach Mrs Sarah, Uphall
Sach Joseph, Broad green
Sharpe James
Sharpe John
Unwin Stephen ( and Coggleshall)
Webb William
Wilsher Jas. and Mrs
Woodward Samuel, East grove