Kelvedon 1848 Whites Directory
KELVEDON, a large and respectable village, with several good inns, well- stocked shops, neat houses, and two large boarding schools, is pleasantly situated on the high road from London to Ipswich andNor- wich, and on the north- western side of the river Blackwater ; 12 miles N.E. of Chelmsford ; 4 miles N.E. of Witham, and 10 miles W.S.W. of Colchester. It has a station on the Eastern Counties Railway, which passes on the west, and has drawn off nearly all the great daily traffic, which formerly passed through the village, and was the chief support of the inns and shops. It consists chiefly of one long street,
descending to the bridge, on the opposite side of which are suburbs in Feering and Inworth parishes. It has a pleasurefair on EasterMon- day, and its parish contains 3167A. 2R. 5P. of land, and had 994 in- habitants in 1801, and 1483, in 1841. The bridge, built in 1788, has several arches through which the water flows only in wet seasons, when the river often inundates its banks. In the higher parts of the parish, the soil is a good sandy loam, but in the flatter parts a strong loam, or clay, prevails. The manor of Easterford, or Kelvedon Hall, is mostly in Great Braxted parish. The manor of Church Hall was given by Angelric, the Saxon, in Edward the Confessor’s time, to Westminster Abbey, but Edward VI. gave it to the Bishop of London and his suc- cessors, together with the rectory and advowson. T. B. Western, Esq. , now owns most of the parish, and resides at and is lord of the manor of FELIX HALL, a large and elegant modern mansion, delightfully seated on a commanding eminence, in a beautiful park, about a mile N.W. of the village. This estate was anciently called the manor of Filiol’s Hall, and belonged successively to the Filiol, Bohun, Southwell, Russell, Cecil, Abdy, and other families. Sir Thos. Abdy, of Felix Hall, was created a baronet in 1641, but the pre- sent baronet resides at Cobham Place, Surry. This estate went with his daughter, in marriage, to John Williams, Esq., who rebuilt part of the hall. Daniel Matthews, Esq. , purchased the estate in 1761, and built a considerable part of the present mansion, in which he resided manyyears. It afterwards became the seat and property of the late Charles Callis Western, Esq. , M.P., who was born in 1767, and was created Lord Western, in 1833, but died without issue about three years ago, when the title became extinct When Felix Hall came into the possession of the late Lord Western, the front was of red brick, but it is now of stone and composition, consisting of an elegant centre and two wings, 160 feet in length. From the centre projects a large portico, modelled from Desgodetz’s drawings of the Temple of Fortuna Virilis, at Rome. His Lordship, being an ardent admirer of works of art, enriched the interior with a large and highly interesting collection of valuable paintings, antique busts, vases, urns, &c.; some of them matchless in beauty and rarity. Here are also several fine plaster casts and beautiful pieces of modern sculpture, some ofthem copies of antiques.
One of the busts is a good likeness of Lord John Russell, the political friend of the late Lord Western, who for a long period represented the borough of Maldon in Parliament.
EWELL HALL, now a farm-house, was held by a family of its own name, and passed some years ago to the Coopers. The manor of DOREWARD’S HALL is partly in Rivenhall parish, and is now the seat of Henry Dixon, Esq.
Kelveden CHURCH (Virgin Mary,) is a spacious and interesting fabric, consisting of a nave with side aisles, a chancel, and a porch ; with a square brick tower at the west end, containing five bells, and crowned by a small leaded spire. The pillars and arches of the nave are in the early English style ; but the roof is finely carved and ornamented in the Tudor style, and was hid by a plaster ceiling, which was removed in 1844, after other improvements had been made, and additional seat room provided. There were formerly two chapels in the aisles, and in the pillars of the chancel arch are two perforations, so constructed that, in catholic times, persons behind them could see the elevation of the host without being observed by the congregation. The stair case, which led to the rood loft, remains, and in the chancel is a beautiful piscina.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £9. 4s. 3d., and in 1831 at £410, is inthe patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Dalton, M.A., who has a good residence and 54A. 3R. 31P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1837, the vicarial for £381 , and the rectorial for £615. T. B. Western, Esq. , is lessee of the latter.
Here is a National School, established in 1838; and a Mutual Instruction Society, commenced in 1847. The Independent Chapel was built in 1810, at the cost of £600 ; and here is a Friends’ Meeting House, erected in 1805, for a numerous and respectable congregation. The Almshouses, divided into nine tenements, occupied rent-free by poor parishioners, were given in 1419, by John Marler, who also left an acre of land, now let for £2, which is carried to the poor rates. For distribution in bread at the church, Robert Smith, in 1637, left 8A. of land at Easthorpe, now let for £12 a year. In 1635, Thomas Aylett, left in trust with the owners of Doreward’s Hall, a house and school for the use of a schoolmaster, to be appointed by them, and to have a yearly rent of £10 out of his rectory of Great Totham. The latter has notbeen paid for many years ; but a schoolmaster has the free use of the school premises, and charges small weekly payments, for instructing poor children, except five boys, who are taught freely in consideration of an annuity of £5, from Joscelyn and Strutt’s Charity. (See Terling. ) This school is now attended by more than 100 children, and is conducted as a British School. In 1837, Joseph Docwra, left £100, in trust, to distribute the interest yearly in coals among the poor parishioners, whose condition is much improved by 26A. of land, let to them on the Allotment System, at the annual rents of from 7s. 6d. to 10s. per 20 rods .
KELVEDON
Arratoon Miss
Baxendale Mrs
Baker Mr Chas. Fdk.
Banton Mrs
Bickmore Thomas Lake, solicitor
Bridgman Henry, parish clerk
Brown Mrs Mary Ann
Byles Mr Henry
Cantley Miss
Causby Rev. Stephen, (Independent.)
Cheek Wm. thatcher
Corder Mr William
Cook Mrs Eliza
Crampin Mrs Ann, postmistress
Dalton Rev. Charles, M.A. vicar and surrogate, Vicarage
Dennis Rev. Mark Gretton
Docwra Mrs Ann
Cubbige Miss
Eley Joseph. bookseller, printer, & registrar
Elvy Lieut. George , R.N.
Evans Misses
Francis Henry, station master
Gunn Hezekiah, fishmonger
Harrison Misses
Fuller Mrs
Hart Lieut. Benjamin, R.N.
Hunwick Wm. hair dresser, &c.
Impey Mrs Jane
Heald Mrs
Maggs Thomas Charles, druggist
Matthews Samuel, fellmonger, &c.
Matthews Mrs
Jacobs Mrs Louisa
Mayn Benjamin, watchmaker
Mayn George Thurston, cooper
Nolan Mrs Martha
Powell Mrs
Patmore Joseph
Phillips, surgeon
Rayner James, maltster & coal dealer
Revett Townsend, asst. overseer
Rist John, ironmonger, brazier, &c.
Scotland Rev. John, B.A. curate
Siggers William & Henry, builders, &c.
Siggers William, maltster
Smith Mrs
Squire Mrs Sarah
Stripling John, basket maker
Surridge J. S. auctioneer, Inworth Hall
Taylor Charles, excise officer
Townsend Mr Arthur |
Welch Mrs
Verenne Ezekiel George, surgeon
Waylen Samuel, surgeon
Western Thomas Burch, Esq. Felix Hall
ACADEMIES (+ Boarding.)
British School, John Crispin and Sarah Godfrey
Hughes Emma
King Maria
National School, Charles Noble and Caroline Gardiner
+Willis Richard Read, Brunswick House
Caroline Gardiner
+Wiseman William, Kelvedon School
FARMERS. (+ are Owners. )
+Appleby William, Monks
Archer Thomas, Mill Land
+Bickmore Thomas Lake, Glebe
Butler Thomas, Ewell Hall
Church Mary, Holdshotts
Crane George, Leaping Wells
+Docwra George, Bridgefoot
Hamilton Major, Clarks
Heard Charles, Hole
Jacobs Louisa, Kelvedon Hall (Bxtd.)
Lungley Miss, Church Hall
Lungley Thomas, Coggeshall Hall
Nichols John, Park Gate
+Pattisson Fisher U., Esq. Woodhouse ; house Coggeshall
+Polley Elizabeth, Bigwoods
Polley James
Ruffell John
Revett Benjamin
Whybrow William, Porters
Bloomfield Bezl. Barleyman Chas.
INNS AND TAVERNS.
Angel Inn, James Knight (posting)
Queen’s Head, Daniel Culf
Star & Fleece, Benj, Revett (posting)
Swan Inn, John Sach
White Hart, Thomas Hume
BAKERS .
Barleyman James
Birdseye John
Esam John
Hunwick William
Sach Thos. Cook
BEER HOUSES .
Arnold Thomas
Belchem John – Wheatsheaf
Medley J., Feering
BLACKSMITHS
Howard Philip
Humphreys Robert
Hutley Susanna
Tunmer James, (constable)
BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.
Denney Benj .
Harris William
Joslin William
Osborn Robert (& glass, &c. dealer )
Pudney George
BRICKLAYERS.
Barleyman William
Bridgman Hy. (& parish clerk)
Shepherd Aaron
Siggers Hy. (and brickmaker)
BUTCHERS
Beckwith William
Martin William
Revett Benjamin
COAL DEALERS
Day John
Rayner James
Garrood John
Wilson T C
CORN DEALERS.
Bloomfield Bezl
Day John
Wilson Thos. Carrington
CORN MILLERS .
Belchem George
Docwra George
Everett Cowlin
Skipper Thomas
GARDENERS.
Abbott William
Archer James
Archer Thomas
Cutts George
Gould Jas. (flori-culturist)
Pipe George
GROCERS & DRAPERS.
Archer Samuel
Clayton Frs. Allen
Fuller John, (and brewer and insurance agent)
Hicks Hy. Feering
Osborn Robert
JOINERS, &c.
Braddy Jeremiah
Mead Wm.
Siggers W. & H.
MILLINERS
Crampin My. Ann
Crane Mrs
Godfrey My. Ann
Harwood Sarah
Lamprill Sarah
Noble Mary
PAINTERS, PLUMBERS, &c.
Algar Jethro
Cawston John
Fuller (William) & Mills ( Thomas )
SADDLERS .
King William
Siggers John
SHOPKEEPERS.
Britton Thomas
Cable Mary
Day Sarah
Slyth Ann
STRAW HAT MAKERS
Cutts Eliza
Harwood Sarah
Moore Rebecca
TAILORS.
Barleyman Chas.
Bird James
Cousins James
Garrard William
Sansum Sampson
VETERINARY SURGEONS.
Challis Thomas
Paulton George
WHEELWRIGHTS .
Beard William
Belchem Thomas
Cook James
Wheeler Edmund
POST OFFICE at Mrs Ann Crampin’s. Letters daily to all parts, and Money Orders granted and paid.
Wm. Crampin, messenger and James Harris, postman.
RAILWAY TRAINS four times a-day to London, Colchester, &c.; and
COACH to Coggeshall, Halstead, and Sudbury, daily CARRIERS, Jno. Higgleton & Wm.
Edw. Moore, to Chelmsford, Tues. & Fri.; & to Colchester, Wed. & Sat.