Langham 1848 Whites directory

Langham 1848 Whites directory

LANGHAM is along parish of scattered houses, extending from the south bank of the navigable river Stour, near Stratford and Dedham, at the distance of 7, to within 3 miles N. of Colchester. It contains 816 souls and 2874 acres of land, including Langham Moor Park Lane, Highfield, Langham Valley, &c. It is crossed by the Black Brook rivulet, and has a mixed fertile soil, well wooded, and highly cultivated. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor and owner of Langham Hall, a neat mansion on a pleasant eminence, near the church, in the vale of the Stour, commanding an extensive view towards Harwich, and now occupied by W. J. Maude, Esq. This hall successively belonged to the Tyrells, Nevilles, De la Poles, Thayers, and Hindes. It was much improved by John Hinde, Esq. , about 1740.
There is a small copyhold manor belonging to the rectory. Highfield is the seat of Thos. Blyth, Esq. Mrs. Pearson, of London, and the Blyth , Sadler, and other families, have estates here. Wenlocks, now called Hill Farm, belonged to a younger branch of noble family of that name, and was the residence of John Wenlock, who suffered severely for his loyalty to Charles I. This estate was held of the honour of Clare by the service of a knight’s fee.
The Church ( St. Mary) is in the vale of the Stour, 6½ miles N. by E. of Colchester, and has a leaded nave and south aisle, a tiled chancel, and a tower at the west end, containing five bells. On the north side of it there was formerly a chapel. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17 11s , and in 1831 at £549, is in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster, and incumbency of the Rev. E. C. Ellis, M.A., who has a large new Rectory House, on a commanding eminence. The glebe is 33A. IR. 18P. , and the tithes have been commuted for £640 per annum. At Highfield is a Baptist Chapel, belonging to a congregation formed in 1755. The Primitive Methodists have asmall chapel in the parish. The poor have £2. 10s. yearly from Love’s Charity, (see Aldham,) and the churchwardens of East Bergholt pay £2 per annum to Langham for the education of poor children, as a share of Dyke’s Charity.

Bacon William, butcher
Blyth John, brewer
Blyth William, corn merchant, Moor
Burleigh William, vict. Greyhound
Clark Stripling, maltster
Ellis Edw. Chauncey, M.A. rector and surrogate, Rectory
Kiddle Christopher, timber merchant and wheelwright, Lodge
Maude William Jemmett, Esq. Hall
Pechy Rev. William (Bapt. ) Highfield
Sargeant George, parish clerk
Seaborn William, bricklayer
Smith William, beerseller
Turner Benj. gent.
Chisnall Stn.

CARPENTERS AND WHEELWRIGHTS.
Barrell Samuel (& smith)
Kiddle Christopher
Seaborn Samuel
Whiley John

CORN MILLERS.
Back William
Borham Stannard
+Whiley Chas.

FARMERS. (+ are Owners &
+in Park lane. )
+Appleby Danl.
Bacon Martha
Bacon James
+Blyth Jas. Hill Farm
+Blyth Sl. Park
+Blyth S. New house
+Blyth Thomas Esq.
Highfield
++Bryant William
++Carver William
Felgate Samuel and blacksmith
Green Rt. Fisher, Hall Farm
Kiddle Christopher
+Ladbrook Thos.
Page John, Moor
Page Robert, cattle dealer
+Sadler William,
Stebbing, Esq. Valley
+Seaborn Samuel

SHOEMAKERS.
Baines John Barker
Samuel Bloomfield Hy.
Webb William

SHOPKEEPERS.
Barrell Samuel
Lilley William
Seaborn Samuel
POST from Colchester, daily