Latton 1848 Whites directory
LATTON, a parish of scattered houses, on the eastern side of the vale of the Stort, from 2 to 4 miles S. of Harlow, contains 303 inhabitants, and 1,382 acres of land, including the Common, near Potter Street, on which Harlow Bush Fair is held.
At Domesday survey, this parish belonged to Eustace, Earl of Bou logne, Peter de Valoines, and the Abbey of Bury St. Edmund’s.
The estate belonging to the latter was made the foundation of LATTON PRIORY, which was dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and was founded in the 12th or 13th century, for Augustine canons. The name of its founder, and the annual value of its revenues, are not recorded. Its church consisted ofa nave, chancel, and transepts, the remains of which have been long used as a barn, in which are seen the four lofty Gothic arches which formed the centre of the building. The site of the monastic buildings is encompassed by a moat, and one part of the enclosure is called the ” Monk’s Bowling Green. Henry VIII. granted the Priory to Sir Henry Parker, and it afterwards passed with the manors of Latton Hall and Mark Hall, to the Altham, Lushington, and Burgoyne families. The whole estate was sold in 1819, for more than one hundred thousand guineas, to the late Richard Arkwright, Esq. , from whom it has passed to the Rev. Joseph Arkwright, B.A., of MARK HALL, a handsome mansion, which was rebuilt by Sir William Lushington, who sold the estate to Montagu Burgoyne, Esq , who resided here in the latter part of last century. It is said that more than £30,000 was expended in the erection and embellishment of this elegant seat. The original house was called Mark or Merk Hall, from the ancient family of Mere, who long occupied the estate as tenants of Eustace, Earl of Boulogne, and subsequent lords of the manor.
The parish Church (Virgin Mary,) stands near the Hall, and on the north side of the chancel is achapel, built by Sir Peter Arden, for a chantry priest.. The tower is embattled , and contains four bells. The rectorial tithes were appropriated to the Priory, but Sir James Altham settled them upon the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1831 at £482. The Rev. Joseph. Arkwright, B.A., the lord of the manor, is both patron and incumbent, and has recently restored and beautified the interior of the church. The poor parishioners have 40s. a year out of Mark Hall estate, left by Emanuel Woolley. The glebe is 113A. , and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £385 per annum.
Arkwright Rev. Joseph , B.A. vicar, Mark Hall
Barnard Charles, corn miller
Carter Mr. James
Casidy James, vict. Sun and Whalebone, Potter street
Collar Sarah , shopkeeper
Debnam Martin, blacksmith
Houghton Thos. vict. Harlow Bush Fair- House, and Assembly Rooms
Hutchin James, baker & shopkeeper
Nicholls William, carpenter
FARMERS.
Brown John
Brown Joseph
Church Joseph
Rogers George
Mason Charles
Pollett Thomas
For Conveyances see Harlow.