Little Chishall 1848 Whites Directory

Little Chishall 1848 Whites Directory

CHISHALL, ( LITTLE) 8 miles W. of Saffron Walden, has in its parish only 96 souls, and 1167A. 1R. 37P. of land, having a hilly
and well wooded surface. In the 14th century, it was held by the Argentine family, and afterward s by the Ufford, Effield, Boteler, and Ayliff families. Since 1684, it has been the property of the Soame family, formerlyseated in the adjacent parish of Haydon, but Sir PeterBuckworth-Herne Soame, Bart. , the present lord of the manor, and owner of most of the parish, resides here in a neat modern house called To-Ho Cottage, and at Thoydon Bower, near Epping. Sir Wm. Soame was created a baronet in 1697, and died without issue, at Malta, on his embassy to Constantinople. (See Haydon. )
The Church (St. Nicholas,) is a small neat structure, with a freestone porch and a wooden tower, rising from a stone foundation. The rectory is consolidated with that of Haydon, as afterwards noticed, and the tithes here were commuted, at the enclosure in 1812 for an allotment of 210A 3R 23P. There is a small Independent Chapel in the parish. A very ancient family took their name from this or the other Chishall, and one of them was John de Chishull, bishop of London, who died in 1279.
Burroughs James, beerhouse
Dorrington Misses, school
Everett John, shopkeeper
Horsman Mrs Emma
Soame Sir Peter Buckworth-Herne,
Bart. To-Ho Cottage
Wilson Robert, blacksmith and vict, White Horse
FARMERS.
Austin George
Hagger Phoebe
Kent Peter, Rectory
Hagger Joseph