Little Parndon 1848 Whites directory

Little Parndon 1848 Whites directory

PARNDON, ( LITTLE) one of the smallest parishes in the county, is pleasantly situated on the east side of the vale of the Stort, near Burnt Mill Station, on the North Eastern Railway, 2½ miles S.W. of Harlow. It contains only 85 souls, and 522 acres of land, exclusive of 56 acres of waste , which might be profitably enclosed. The manor was held at Domesday survey by Peter de Valoines. It afterwards passed to Baliol, Turnor, Parsons, and Smith families. The manor house was rebuilt by Wm. Smith , Esq. , about 1780, but it was mostly pulled down in 1832, by the late W. K. Amherst, Esq. , the trustees of whose family are now lords of the manor, and owners of most of the soil.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a small ancient structure, near the river Stort, and contains several memorials of the Turnor and other families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6, and in 1831 at £160, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Geo. Hemming, A.M., and in the patronage of his trustees. The Rectory House is an ancient timber mansion, which was cased with grey brick in the Grecian style, in 1840, at the cost of £600. The glebe is 28A.; and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £186 per annum.
Brown Frederick, corn miller
Brown John, farmer
Church Henry, butcher
Hemming Rev. George, A.M. Rectory
Holmes Charles, farmer, Hall
Holmes Joseph, farmer