Little Sampford 1848 Whites Directory

Little Sampford 1848 Whites Directory

SAMPFORD, ( LITTLE) or NEW SAMPFORD, is a parish and scattered village on the western side of the vale of the river Pant, 31 miles N.E. of Thaxted, and 9 miles S.E. of Saffron Walden. It contains 470 souls and 2628 acres of land , which belonged to Richard
Fitz- Gislebert at Domesday Survey. Lieut. – General Sir W. C. Eustace, K. C. H., is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil,
and resides at New Sampford Hall, a fine old mansion, in a small
park, near the church. The manor was formerly held by the Tale- worth, Green, Tewes, Peck, and other families. The estate called Friers was given to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, by Olivia, daughter of Geoffrey Fitz- Baldwin, in the reign of Henry III. It was afterwards held by the Higham and Henniker fa- milies . The Church ( Virgin Mary,) is a plain stone fabric, consist- ing of a nave, north aisle and chancel, leaded ; and a lofty tower, con- taining three bells, and surmounted by a spire. In the church are se veral handsome monuments belonging to the Peck family. The rec tory, valued in K.B. at £11 , and in 1831 at £516, is in the patronage of New College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. J. Ekins,
B.C.L., who has 52A. of glebe and a good residence. The tithes were commuted in 1835 for £700 per annum. Mr. J. Pettit, Mrs. Portway, and several others have estates in the parish, mostly free and
partly copyhold, subject to certain fines. The Church Land is 2 A. ,
let for £2. 4s. per annum. In 1705, Gertrude Peck left £60 for the poor, and it was invested in a rent charge of £3 out of 9A. of land at Spain’s End. In 1740, Wm. Peck purchased this land for the poor,
at the cost of £60. 15s., and it is now let for £9 . 12s. a year, which is distributed in clothing. The poor parishioners have also £3 10s. a
year from Riley’s Charity. (See Great Sampford. )

Digby Joseph, parish clerk
Ekins Rev. Jeffery, B. C. L. Rectory
Eustace Lieut.- General Sir William Cornwallis, K.C.H. , Hall
Gray James, carpenter
Hinson Mrs Harriet, Old House
Johnson Abraham, boot & shoe maker
Johnson John, boot & shoemaker
Philpott Wm. wheelwright
Speakman John, vict. Fighting Cocks
Ridgewell Elias, shoemaker

FARMERS.
Arnold George, Green Farm
Cornell Benjamin, Clarke’s
Cracklin Edward, Maynards
Hockley Daniel, Tewes
Pettit John (miller, ) Clark House
Portway Sarah, Mill Hall
Purkes Joshua, Howletts
Reeve John, Highgates
Reynolds Thomas, Mill Farm
Ruse Joseph
Surrey John, Park
Tannar James, Bush Farm
Tyler Peter, Friers

Letters via Braintree.