Little Wigborough 1848 Whites directory

Little Wigborough 1848 Whites directory

WIGBOROUGH ( LITTLE,) is a small village, on a declivity, overlooking the salt marshes and the estuary of the Blackwater, 8 miles S. by W. of Colchester, between Great Wigborough and the Mersea and Salcott creeks. Its parish contains 114 inhabitants, and 1152A. of land , including about 134A. of low marshes and saltings ; the latter covered by the tides at high water. Copt Hall, an old mansion, near the church, gives name to a manor belonging to the Charter House, London, to which it was sold by Sir John Cotton ; but part ofthe parish belongs to Edw. Bean, T. N. Abdy, and Oswald Copland, Esqs. , and a few smaller owners, mostly copyholders. Copt Hall was anciently held by the Septvanz family, and it afterwards passed to the Boudons, Boys, Bucklands, and Cottons.
The Church ( St. Nicholas,) is a small plain building, with a square tower. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10 , and in 1831 at £252, is in the patronage of the Charter House, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Pain, M.A., of Aspley, Bedfordshire, for whom the Rev. J. Bowyer, of Great Wigborough, officiates . The parsonage is a small old building, let as a cottage, and the glebe is 21A. 3R. 6P. The tithes have been commuted for £225. 10s. per annum. Edward Harvey, Esq. , occupies Copt Hall ; and the other FARMERS are, Edw. Bean, ( of Peldon), Mary Thorrington, and William Byford, parish clerk and beerhouse keeper.