Littlebury 1848 Whites directory
LITTLEBURY village is pleasantly situated on the London and Newmarket road, and the river Cam or Granta. It has a station on the North- Eastern Railway, 2 miles N. W. of Saffron Walden, and its parish contains 822 souls, and 3408A. 2R. 19p. of land, including the small scattered villages of Catmere End, Chapel Green, and Littlebury Green, from 1 to 2 miles W. and S.W. of the church. From the ninth century till the dissolution of the monasteries, this parish belonged to Ely Abbey. The manor was retained by the Crown, from 1539 till 1600, when it was granted to Thomas Sutton, Esq. It was afterwards held by the Earls of Suffolk, whose descendant, the Marquis of Bristol, sold it to Lord Braybroke, the present lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the parish. Mr. Thomas Moule, and many smaller owners, have estates here, mostly copyhold, subject to certain fines. A Roman road crossed the parish at Littlebury Green, which in some records is called Streetly Green.
The CHURCH ( Holy Trinity,) stands within the area of a Roman camp, and is a plain building, of great antiquity. It has a nave, side aisles , and chancel, and a square embattled tower, containing six bells. The font is beautiful , and has a splendid oak canopy. The sinecure rectory, valued in K.B. at £26. 13s . 4d., and in 1831 at only £30, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Hy. Sparke, M.A., of Gunthorpe, Norfolk, who is also patron of the discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10. 2s. 1d. , and in 1831 at £209, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Wix, B.A., who has a good residence, and 158A. of glebe, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes, at the enclosure, in 1801. Part of the rectorial tithes are held by the lord of the manor, of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, together with the small manor called Bourdeaux. Catmere Hall was a large ancient building, surrounded by a double moat, and its site may still be distinguished. It was held by the Gate family in the 16th century, and was then called Gatemere Hall. There was anciently a chapel, on Chapel green, but no traces of it are now extant.
Henry Winstanley, the celebrated architect, who was clerk of the King’s works at Newmarket and Audley-End, under Charles II. and James I , was a residentof Littlebury. He built the first Eddystone Light House, on the dangerous rock near the entrance to Hamoaze Bay, and was so confident in the strength of the work, that he expressed a wish to be in it during an extraordinary storm. His wish was gratified, in the dreadful tempest of Nov. 27th. 1703, when the lighthouse was carried away, with the architect and all who were with him.
LITTLEBURY FREE SCHOOL was founded by Dame Jane Bradbury, at an early period, but the grant and feoffment being lost, the land with which she endowed it was seized by the lady of the manor, in 1657, and re-granted to the school trustees in the same year. Since the enclosure in 1801 , the school property has consisted of about 23A. of land, 3 cottages, and 2 stables, let in eight lots, at rents now amounting to £52 per annum ; exclusive of the school-house, garden, and 28. of land, occupied by the master, who is appointed by the lord of the manor. The school is open for free instruction to all the children born in the parish, without distinction, except that they must be seven years of age when admitted. The girls are instructed by the master’s wife.
The poor parishioners have 19s. 6d. yearly from Martin’s Charity (see Chrishall,) and £3 yearly from Dr. Harvey’s Charity. The latter is paid by the bursar of Trinity Hall, Cambridge. They have also a yearly rent-charge of 20s. out of Perring’s Farm, left by Thos. Clarke, in 1585 ; the in- terest of £60, left by Thos. Sutton, in 1585 ; and a rent- charge of £8, out of the mansion of Audley-End, granted in 1783, in satisfaction of the will of Robert Raymond, dated 1722. Five poor men and five poor women of Littlebury are clothed annually from Lord Howard de Walden’s Charity, as noticed with Saffron Walden. The dividends of £405. 18s. Three and a half per Cent. Reduced Annuities, left by William Steevens Walton, in 1833, are divided among the aged and industrious poor householders of the parish. The Poor’s Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, is 24. 28. 39p. , let
for £2. 14s., which is distributed in bread.
LITTLEBURY.
POST OFFICE, at Thomas Green’s. Letters despatched 7 evening, via Saffron Walden.
Abraham William carpenter
Allen Mrs Sarah
Bewsher Edm. Law, corn miller
Burges William, machine maker
Burges Louisa, straw hat maker
Chinery Bernard, foreman
Duke Ann, butcher, and Mr John
Godfrey George, wheelwright
Green Ann, vict. Falcon
Green Thomas, blacksmith, Post Office
Bull Robert saddler & vict. Queen’s Head
Green Thomas, plumber, painter, &c.
King Ezekiel, tailor, and Mr. Isaac
Mickley Mr. Chas.
Day Mr. Chas.
Moule Thomas, gent.
Plum William
Rider Mr Jas.
Cox John, carter
Roberts Rev. Robert Lynford Nottidge, B.A. curate
Robinson John Geo. auctioneer and estate agent, Bourdeaux Farm
Robinson Nathaniel, coal merchant
Stubbings George, gardener
Stubbings William, parish clerk
Wix Rev. Joseph. B.A., vicar, & domestic chaplain to Lord Braybroke
Wright John, bricklayer
Wright William, bricklayer
FARMERS.
Claydon John, Parsonage
Emson Edmund, Littlebury Green
Nichols George, Bourdeaux
Nunn Swann, Catmere End
Rider Charles, Littlebury Green
Robinson John Geo. Bourdeaux Farm
Robinson Sarah
Robinson Nathaniel
BEERHOUSES.
Law William, Green – Rose
Pettit George, Green – Hoops
Stubbings William
SHOEMAKERS.
Barker James
King William
Suckling John
SHOPKEEPERS
Burges Chas.
Green Jno. (baker)
Onion Ann
Stacey Har. (bker)
Wright John
RAILWAY
Trains to London, Cambridge &c.
COACHES & CARRIERS to London, Newmarket, &c. pass through.