Marks Tey 1848 Whites Directory

Marks Tey 1848 Whites Directory
TEY, ( MARKS) or Tey at the Elms, is a pleasant village on the London road, south-east of the two other Teys, 5 miles W. by S. of Colchester, and 4 miles E. by N. of Coggleshall. On the Eastern Counties Railway, near the junction of the Braintree and London roads, is a commodious station, from which branches the Colchester, Halstead, and Stour Valley Railway. The parish of Marks Tey has 397 inhabitants, and 1214 acres of land, having a rich soil of clay and loam. The manor was anciently held by the Merc, or Mark family, under the Mandevilles and Bohuns, after whom it was the seat and property of the Dinants, who took the surname of Tey. Walter de Tey was summoned to Parliament in 1299. About 1592, William Tey, Esq. , conveyed the manor to Queen Elizabeth, who granted it to Charles Cornwallis, Esq. , who sold it to William Howse. It afterwards passed to various families, and is now held by Robert Chaplin,Esq. , of Marks Tey Hall, an old mansion which was formerly encompassed by moat, part of which still remains. E. Round, J. Proctor, and G. Lithgow, Esqrs. , have estates in the parish, which is partly copyhold, subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church ( St. Andrew,) is a small Gothic structure, which has recently undergone a thorough renovation. The tower has two bells, and is crowned by a wooden spire. There is painted window in the chancel , with the arms of Bishop Compton. The rectory was given by one of the Mandevilles, to St. Botolph’s Priory, Colchester. After the suppression of that monastery, Bishop Compton purchased the parsonage, 38A. of glebe, and all the tithes of the parish, except such as belonged to the then lord of the manor, and settled them upon the vicarage, in the patronage of Baliol College, Oxford. The vicarage (not in charge) was valued in 1831 at £234, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Lewis Welsh Owen, M.A., of Colchester, where he is rector of Holy Trinity parish. The Vicarage House is now inconveniently separated from the church by the intervening railway. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for £246. 10s. per annum. Bishop Henry Compton, the liberal benefactor to the vicarage, was made Bishop of London in 1675, and was entrusted with the education of the two princesses, Mary and Anne, who imbibed from him their firm adherence to the Protestant religion, which so exasperated James II . that he suspended him from his ecclesiastical functions, but they were restored to him on the invasion of William, Prince of Orange, to whom he had married the princess Mary. He laboured with much zeal to reconcile the dissenters to the Church, and died in 1713.
Chaplin Robt. Esq. Marks Tey Hall
Dixey Jas. Spooner, shopkeeper & wheelwright
Fletcher George, gentleman
Gardener Edward, station master
Gould Wm. parish clerk of Little Tey
Keable James, parish clerk
Kingsbury Pp. vict. Trowel & Hammer
Munson John, shoemaker
Owen Rev. L. W. vicar; h Colchester
Patten Wm. horse dealer & vict. Lion
Smith Fras. shoemaker & shopkeeper.
Tampion Daniel, blacksmith Theobald
Rev. Jn. Medows, M.A.curate
Turner John, bricklayer

FARMERS.
Barnard Ahraham
Chaplin Robert
Ely Thomas
Mayhew James
Redgift John
Smith James

RAILWAY TRAINS to London, Colchester, &c. three times a-day.