Peldon 1848 Whites directory

PELDON, 6 miles S. by W. of Colchester, is a village and parish , containing 493 souls, and 2182A. of land, mostly on a bold acclivity, but descending southward to the low salt marshes, near Mersea Island, over which the church commands a view of the ocean. The manor was granted by William the Conqueror, in 1086, to William the Deacon, towards rebuilding St. Paul’s Cathedral. Henry VIII . granted it to Sir Thos. Darcy., and it afterwards passed to the Reynolds, Powell, and other families. The Countess Waldegrave is now lady of the manor, but the greater part of the soil belongs to J. Pledger, J. Baw-tree, J. Mann, C. Oldfield , T. Taylor, S. E. Bean, and several smaller owners. The rectory is a small manor, and part of the copyholds are subject to certain and the rest to arbitrary fines.
The Church ( Virgin Mary,) is an ancient structure of perpendicular architecture, except the chancel , which was rebuilt by the present rector, in the early English style. The east window is enriched with stained glass, given by the late Mrs. Griggs; and at the west end is a fine embattled tower. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £16. 15s. 10d., and in 1831 at £508, has a good residence, and 26A. 1R. 28P. of glebe. It is in the patronage of the Countess Waldegrave, and incumbency of the Rev. John Palmer, M.A., of London. The tithes have been commuted for £575 per annum. A fair is held in the village on Michaelmas day, and here is a National School. In 1613, John Comyn gave a yearly rent-charge of £6, in equal shares for the poor of Peldon and West Mersea, out of a farm of 20A. , called the Moor. The Church Lands, 5A. IR. , is let for £16. 12s. , but the parish has no deeds relating to it.
Atkinson Rev. Jno., B.A. curate Rectory
Bartholomew Jermemiah vict. Plough
Cook John, smith & wheelwright
Cooper Henry, baker & shopkeeper
Digby Joseph , corn miller
Hance William, shopkeeper
Harrison Deborah ( & Jas.) blacksmith
Lappage William, thatcher & vict. Rose
Pooley John, shoemaker & parish clerk
Stammers Miss, National School
Theobald John, shoemaker
Went John, cow leech
Wright John, beerhouse & shopkeeper

FARMERS
Bawtree John
Bean Saml. Edw. Hall
Blomfield Samuel
Chignell John
Hance Sarah
Harvey Joseph
Harvey Martin
Harvey Stephen
Partridge Robert
Peachey James
Smith Rt. Lodge
Taylor Thomas
Thorrington Sar.
Tiffin Charles
Turnage Alex.
Waller Stephen jun
Woodward Henry

Post from Colchester, & Carrier daily