Stow Maries Whites Directory in 1848
STOW-MARIES, a small pleasant village, on an eminence, 5 miles S. by W. of Maldon, and 10 miles S.E. by E. of Chelmsford,
has in its parish 257 souls, and 2444A. 2R. of land, boldly undulated, and divided into two parts by the parish of Cold Norton. Stow Marsh, bounded by the Crouch and two of its creeks, is from 1 to 2 miles S. of the village. About 60A. are roads, and 80A. salt-ings and ouze. Anciently there was a family surnamed Mareys residing here, and from them the parish had the latter part of its name. It is all freehold, but was formerly in two manors, called Stow Maries and Hayes, which have been held by the Bohun, Maxey, Sutton, Vere, and other families. The soil now belongs chiefly to Lord Rayleigh, W. J. Prowse, Esq. , Exors. of the late C. Parker, Esq., G. Nottidge, Esq. , and E. Blore, Esq.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a small antique fabric, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a small wooden belfry and spire. The north side is nearly covered with ivy, and in the nave is a trefoiled crocketted niche, said to have anciently contained a silver statue of the Virgin Mary. In the chancel is a piscina, and a brass in memory ofT. Cummocke, who died in 1602. The church is mostly in the perpendicular style of the 15th century, but has undergone many repairs, and the south wall of the nave was rebuilt of brick, about two centuries ago. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18 6s 8d., and in 1831 at £500, is in the patronage of the Rev. T. C. Storie, and incumbency of the Rev. H. A. Browne, M.A., who has a good residence. Here is an Infant and also a Sunday School.
POST OFFICE, at Isaac Andrew’s. Letters by Maldon foot-post.
Browne Rev. Harvey Atkyns, M.A., Rectory
Davis William, parish clerk
Harris Joseph , blacksmith
Innefer Thomas, shoemaker
Tiffen John, wheelwright
FARMERS.
Carter Charles, Great Hayes
Carter George ( and Danbury)
Dennis Joseph, Prentices
Ewing Walter, Witmans
Hunt John
Rolfe T. C.
Rutt Pattisson (and Purleigh)
Trussell James ( and Danbury)