Takeley 1848 Whites directory
TAKELEY parish has along straggling village, called Takeley Street, 4 miles W. of Dunmow, and E. of Bishop Stortford. It comprises 899 inhabitants, and 3154 acres of land, including Smith’s Green, Morrell Green, and Brewers-end, and many scattered farm-houses, &c. It gives rise to the Pincey Brook, and has a fertile soil and undulated surface. It is in four manors, which were held by Robert Gernon, Eudo Dapifer, and St. Valery Priory, at the Domesday Survey. Thomas Mumford, Esq., is lord of the chief manor, called Waltham Hall, or Takeley, which was held by Waltham Abbey, and after the dissolution by the Heigham, Miller, Petre, Shaard, and other families. The small manor of Colchester Hall belonged to St. John’s Abbey, at Colchester, and was afterwards held by the Wyberd, Wiseman, Crackbone, Plumme, and Russell families. The manor of St. Valery’s, vulgarly called Warish Hall, was given by William the Conqueror to the Abbey of St. Valery, in Picardy, which had a small Priory here, as a cell to that Abbey, founded in the reign of Henry I. On the suppression of alien monasteries, this manor was given to William Wickham, Bishop of Winchester, who settled it as part of the endow- ment of New College, Oxford, to which it still belongs. In the court rolls it is called, ” Takeley St. Walerici. ” Bassingbourne Hall, a large mansion on a commanding eminence, was erected by Fras. Barnard, Esq. , who purchased the estate in 1745, and it still belongs to his family. The Hall was occupied by the late Sir Peter Parker.
The Church ( Holy Trinity,) is an ancient structure with a tower and four bells, and has a south aisle, in which there is an apartment, called Bassingbourne’s Chapel, opposite which is a strong room, in which relics and images of saints were deposited in Roman Catholic times. Abrass plate is inscribed to the memory of Hannah Knollys, who, in 1689, left a house and garden for the parish clerk, and a yearly rent most of the great tithes, and also patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B at £11 , and in 1831 at £218, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. V. N. Child, M.A., who has a handsome residence and 22A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for the following yearly payments : £654. 10s. to the Bishop of London ; £105. 10s. to F. W. Nash, Esq., and £220 to the Vicar, who has also an augmentation of £55 per annum out of the Bishop’s tithes, now held on lease by F. W. Nash, Esq. An Independent Chapel, erected in 1808 , and several houses in Takeley Street, are in the extensive parish of Hatfield Broad Oak.
TAKELEY.
Those marked + are in Hatfield Broad Oak parish.
POST OFFICE at Rt. Lambert’s. Letters via Dunmow & Bishop Stortford
+Bird John & Edw. carpenters, &c.
Child Rev. Vicesimus Knox, M.A., vicar
Chopping Thomas, vict. Green Man
Clarke Samuel, corn miller, &c.
Flack Richard, butcher
+Hanson Rev. John ( Indpt. min.)
Lambert Robert, Post-office
Lambert Thomas, tailor & draper
Pallett Peter, sexton
Piper Isaac, corn miller
Poole Mr. William, Smith’s Green ; ( & goldsmith in London)
Potter John, coal dealer, &c.
Prior Joseph, cart owner
Robe Mrs. W. Frog’s Hall
Speller John, vict. Rein Deer
Staines Jas. vict. Three Horse Shoes
Tomlin Mary Ann, schoolmistress
Warren William Rt. clothier & furniture broker
BEER HOUSES
Clarke Samuel – Windmill
Hall Hy. pig dealer – Four Ashes
Lambert Thomas
Stokes John – Lion and Lamb
BLACKSMITHS.
Barltrop Daniel
Brown Charles
+Perry John
BOOT & SHOEMAKERS.
Bentley William
Chopping William
+Cook David
Hayden John
Simmons Benjamin
Speller Robert
FARMERS. (+ are Owners.)
Chopping John
+Clarke Henry
+Elliott George W
Garrett Robert, Jack’s Green
Hockley Daniel, High House
Hockley Charles
+Lawrence Julius
Marshall John
Marshall Thomas
+Mumford Thomas
Waltham Hall
Mumford Thomas, Warish Hall
Mumford A. T.
Mumford G. H.
Mumford H E
+Parkins Thomas
+Patmore Nicholas, Old House
Patmore William & J I
+Scott Samuel, Smith’s Green
Swan John
+White Susan
GROCERS AND DRAPERS
Aylett William
+Bird Edward
Rous John James
Speller Thomas
Stokes John
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Heard William
Willey Rt. Isaac
CARRIERS, &c. Pass to Dunmow, & Bishops Stortford