Tollesbury 1848 Whites Directory
TOLLESBURY is a large fishing village,8t miles E.N.E. of Maldon, on the margin of the marshes, about 14 mile north of the estuary of the Blackwater, from which it has a broad creek, in which are many oyster layings, where the fishermen deposit the spat and young brood till they become small oysters, which are sold and sent away to the layings on the Kentish coast, and other places, there to be fed into full grown oysters. Most of the inhabitants are employed in this trade, in about 50 dredging boats, of from 7 to 30 tons. The parish contains 1149 souls, and 6780 acres of land, including part of Tiptree Heath, and Mr. Mechi’s farm of Tiptree Hall, though distant more than 6 miles N.W. of the village. About 1630 acres are saltings and waste, 60A. wood, 1932A. marsh and meadow, and 3156A. arable. The marshes on this part of the coast are preserved from the encroachments of high tides by embankments called sea walls, and outside these are the saltings, on which cattle are grazed during the low tides. An Oyster Co., established in 1845, in 500 £32 shares, has layings here, and purchases spat and young brood from the dredgers. A fair, for toys, &c. , is held in the village on the last Thursday and Friday in June. Captain Du Cane is lord of the manor of Tollesbury Hall, which belonged to St. Mary’s Nunnery, at Barking, till the dissolution, and was afterwards held by the Howard family. Pp . Bennet, Esq. , is lord of the large manor of Bourchier’s Hall, a fine old mansion, occupied by a farmer, and pleasantly situated about a mile N.W. of the church. It had formerly a large park, and was a seat of the Bourchier family in the 14th and 15th centuries. It afterwards passed to the Devereux, Gardiner, and Hallam families, and went in marriage with the heiress of the latter to the Bennets. Bohun’s Hall, a farm- house near the church, gives name to another manor in this parish, now belonging to Benyon de Beauvoir, Esq. , and formerly to the Bohun, Cromwell, Craddock, and other families. The Trustees of the late J. Grimwood, Esq. , J. J. Mechi, Rd. Seabrook, James Wilkin, and many smaller owners have estates in the parish, partly free and partly copyhold.
The Church (St. Mary,) has a nave and chancel, and a stone tower, containing six bells. The nave is ancient, but the chancel is modern, and built of brick, with wood framed windows. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £6 16s. 3d. , and in 1831 at £510, is in the patronage of Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. R. I. B. Hen shaw, M.A., who has a large residence, and 12A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840 ; the vicarial for £539, and the rectorial for £762 per annum. The latter belongs to B. de Beauvoir, Esq. Here is an Independent Chapel, built about 30 years ago ; and a small Parish School, in aid of which £5. 10s. is paid yearly, as the rent of a tenement at Tolleshunt- Knights, left to the poor by Robert Taillor, in 1652.
Adams Mr Edward
Carter Rev. Thomas (Independent)
Clarke James, drill owner
Cock Benjamin, assistant overseer
Collins Rev. John, M.A. curate
Dodd Robert C. decoyman
Emery Joseph, gardener
Frost Eliz. vict. Plough and Sail
Henshaw Rev. Robert Ibbotson B., M.A., vicar
Howe Samuel, saddler, &c
Hume William, vict. Plough, Oakley hill
Lewis Sarah, schoolmistress
Nevill Thomas, blacksmith
Payne Rosetta, vict. King’s Head
Payne William, butcher
Reardon C. straw hat maker
Rice Abraham, parish clerk
Weaver Joseph, tailor and carrier
Wyatt William, bricklayer
FARMERS.
Beckwith Thomas, The Wick
Bourne John, Mill Farm
Bygrave John Lay, Lodge
Dennis Joseph, Oakley Green
Emson Robert, Osbournes
Fairhead W. H., Hall, and Little Totham
Foster Joseph, Old Hall, & Witham
Gardiner Jeffrey and John, Rolls and Prentices
Golding Pearson, Bouchier’s Lodge
Hume Joseph, Heath
Mechi John Joseph, Tiptree Hall
Page Joseph ( & Tolleshunt D’Arcy )
Readhouse John, Profitts
Root George, Bouchier’s Hall
Saddler Joseph, Heath
Sampson Simon
Seabrook Rd. ( & Tolleshunt D’Arcy)
Seabrook Rt. ( & Tolleshunt D’Arcy)
Sharp William
Sharp George
Solly Richard, Bohun’s Hall
Walker John ( & Tolleshunt Major)
Wass John, Tiptree Heath
Wilkin James, Gorwell Hall
BAKERS.
Anthony William
Harvey William
BEER HOUSES
Chapman Samuel
Went William
COAL DEALERS .
Bocking Joseph
Overall Stephen
CORN MILLERS.
Posford John
Sampson Simon
Turnage Thomas
SHOEMAKERS.
Bright Benjamin, Heath
Davis William
Gulson John
Harrison Charles
SHOPKEEPERS.
Banyard John
BanyardJno.jun.
Bowles Sarah
Crampin Jemima, Heath
Howe Geo. druggist
Walford William
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Beckwith William
Lewis Zachariah
CARRIERS to
Colchester, Mon., Thurs. & Sat.:- WeaverJoseph ( & to Maldon, Fri. )
Lufkin George
LETTERS from Maldon