Wakes Colne 1848 Whites Directory

Wakes Colne 1848 Whites Directory

COLNE ( WAKES) is a scattered village, on the north side of the river Colne, at the point where the Chappel Viaduct, on the Colchester and Stour Valley Railway, crosses the vale, 8 miles W.N.W. of Col- chester, and 5 miles E.S.E. of Halstead ; to which latter town a branch railway is now cutting. The parish of Wakes Colne has 444 inhabitants, and 1837 acres of land, rising boldly from the river, and including Wakes Colne Green, Bretts Green, and many farm houses, &c. , bearing different names. It is in two manors, and the soil belongs to various free and copyholders, among whom are Hy. Skingley, Esq. , of Wakes Hall; Edward Brett, Esq. , of Fishers ; Mrs. Mary Brett, of Colne Place ; Mr. Robert Lay, of Lane Farm ; Mr. Robert Lawson; and the trustees of the late Crickett, Esq. The latter own the manor of CREPING HALL, an old moated farm-house, on an eminence, about a mile east of the church, anciently a seat of the Creping family, and afterwards held by the Smyths. Henry Skingley is lord of the inanor of Wakes Hall, which was anciently held by the Maskerels, and afterwards by the Wakes. The heiress of the latter, Margaret Wake, married Edmund of Woodstock, Earl of Kent ; and from his family, this manor passed to the Duke of Surrey, Earl of Somerset, Edmund Tudor, John de da Pole, John de Vere, &c. The ancient manor house of WAKES HALL, was taken down by its present owner, who erected the present elegant mansion on the opposite side of the road.
The Church (All Saints,) is a plain antique fabric, with a tall wooden tower, containing three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12 . 5s. , and in 1831 at £476, is in the patronage of Earl Verulam, and is now held by his brother, the Hon. and Rev. F. S. Grimston, who has a handsome white brick residence, and about 15 acres of glebe. The tithes have been commuted for £612. 10s. 8d. per annum. In 1460, John Allyson and John Boteler gave 8A. IR. of land, and the Town House, in trust, for the relief ofthe poor, and the reparation of the church, and they are now let for £17 a year, which is mostly distributed in calico, by the churchwardens.

Beckett Rev. J. A., B.A., curate
Brett Edward, Esq. Fishers
Brett Mrs Mary, Colne Place
Bull Elizabeth, Post Office
Fairhead Sarah, beerhouse
Farrow Christopher, Sadler, corn and oil miller
Frost Joseph, carrier to Colchester
Grimston Hon. & Rev. Fras. Sylvester, Rectory
Payne William, higgler
Poole Robert, wheelwright
Skingley Henry, Esq., Wakes Hall
Taylor Chas. parish clerk ; h Chappel

FARMERS.
Bones Thomas
Fairhead Sarah
Farrow John ; house Chappel
Harvey John Thomas, Old House
Harvey Thomas, Loveney Hall
Johnson William, Norman’s
Lay Rt. , Lane
Letherdale Thomas
Legerton Edw., Little Loveney Hall
Newman John, Butts Farms
Pettitt Zach. Fishers ; house Bures
Potter John, Leveretts
Smith John, Goodwin’s
Wilkin James, Jordans
Worcester William, Creping Hall

BLACKSMITHS
Arthy William
Smith John

CARPENTERS
Letherdale James
Wisbrow James

GROCERS
Gaywood Charles
Harrington Philip
Patten Anthony

SHOEMAKERS .
Harrington Philip
Hum George
Wendon James

Post from Halstead, daily