Waltham HUNDRED Whites Directory in 1863
WALTHAM HUNDRED,
Commonly called the HALF HUNDRED OF WALTHAM, is of small extent, and of a triangular figure, its eastern and western sides measuring only eleven miles, and its northern seven. It comprises a large portion of Epping Forest, and is bounded on the west by the river Lea, which separates it from Middlesex and Hertfordshire; on the north by Harlow Hundred; and on the south-east by Becontree and Ongar Hundreds. It is watered by the Cobbin brook, and several smaller streams. The Great Eastern Company’s North-Eastern line runs along the opposite side of the river Lea, and the London and Loughton line is to be extended to Epping, &c. On the eastern side of this small Hundred is a large and thickly-wooded portion, as well as some open parts of Epping Forest. It anciently belonged to Waltham Abbey, on the western verge of the forest; but after the dissolution it passed to the Denney, Hay, Wake, and other families. It is in Epping Polling District of the Southern Parliamentary Division ofEssex; in Epping Police Division, andin Waltham County Court District.
It contains only the four parishes of Chingford, Epping, Nazeing, and Waltham Abbey; and part of Roydon. Chingford is in the Diocese of London, and the other parishes are in the Diocese of Rochester, Archdeaconry of Essex, and Deanery of Barking. Waltham Hundred extends over about 25,000 acres, and contains about 9000 inhabitants. The large parish of Waltham Abbey is in Edmonton Union, and the others are in Epping Union. Petty Sessions are held at Waltham Abbey and Epping, and Mr. John Smith, of Galley hill, is the high constable.
EPPING UNION comprises the 17 parishes of Chigwell, Chingford, Epping, Harlow, Latton, Loughton, Magdalen Laver, Matching, Nazeing, Netteswell, Great and Little Parndon, Roydon, Sheering, Thoydon-Bois, Thoydon-Garnon, and North Weald Bassett, which comprise an area of 77 square miles, and in 1861 had 16,544 inhabitants. The UNION WORKHOUSE is at Thoydon Garnon, in Ongar Hundred, near the town of Epping, and forms a handsome brick and stone building, erected in 1836, at the cost of £8000, and having room for 300 paupers. Mr. J. W. Windus is the union clerk and superintendent registrar ; the Rev. J. T. Robinson, chaplain; and James and Mrs. Mockford are master and matron of the Workhouse.
Mr. Frederick Payne is registrar of marriages; Messrs. Harry Teverson and William Redding are the relieving officers ; and Messrs. George Moore, Joseph Barton, and William Redding are registrars of births and deaths.