West Mersea 1848 Whites directory
MERSEA ISLAND comprises the two parishes of East and West Mersea, and extends from Mersea Stone, at the mouth of the Colne,
to the estuary of the Blackwater. It is of an oval figure, presenting a length of about five miles to the ocean, and being from 1 to 2 miles in breadth ; separated from the main land only by a creek, called the Pyefleet, which communicates with the estuaries of the Colne and the Blackwater, and is celebrated for excellent oysters. A raised causeway, called the Strode, crosses the Pyefleet, and communicates with the main land, but it is covered by the sea at high water. The island is well wooded, beautifully diversified, and presents a bold commanding coast to the German ocean. It comprises about 3500 acres of good arable and pasture land, and more than 1000 acres of marshes and saltings, which are mostly inundated at high tides. This island was occupied by the Romans, and is suppsed to have been the residence of the general who was styled ” Count of the Saxon shore. “
Several tumuli on the island are apparently Roman, and in one of them many antiquities have been found. When repairing West Mersea Hall , and making a new garden, in 1730, a fine tessellated pavement was found, composed of various coloured tesseræ, disposed in a variety of elegant patterns. During the incursions of the Danes, this was frequently the landing place and retreat of their ferocious bands, and Alfred the great is said to have besieged a large party of them here in A.D. 894, after pursuing them from Farnham. There was formerly a blockhouse, at the south-east corner of the island, to defend the passage of the river Colne, and what remains of it is called Mersea Stone.
MERSEA ( WEST) is a large and pleasant fishing and bathing village on the sea coast, at the western extremity of Mersea Island, and at the mouth of the estuary of the Blackwater, 9 miles S. of Colchester. It has a fair for toys and pedlery on Whit-Tuesday, and its parish comprises about two-thirds of the island, having 917 inhabitants and 3136 acres, including part of the salt marshes bordering upon Salcott and Pyefleet creeks, in the latter of which G. Round, Esq., has a wild fowl decoy, near the Strode. Mrs. M. A. May is lady of the manor of West Mersea Hall ; but here are several smaller manors and estates called Bower Hall, Bocking Hall, Peete, &c., belonging to G. Round, T. May, J. & H. M. Hawes, J. P. Osborne, J. Pledger, T. Har- vey, Mrs. E. Harvey, and several smaller owners. The copyholds are subject to fines certain. The chief manor was given in 1046 to St. Oven’s Priory, at Rouen, in Normandy, which had a cell or subordinate PRIORY here, founded by Roger Fitz-Ranulph, near the east end of the church, for monks of the Benedictine order. On the suppression of the alien houses, Mersea Priory was granted, in 1422, to the Archbishop of Canterbury, who settled it and the manor on Higham Ferrer’s College, which was dissolved in 1542, when the this manor was granted to Robert Dacres. It afterwards passed to the Darcy, Rivers, Kidby, and other families. Bocking Hall farm belongs to Winsley’s Almshouses, at Colchester and is about 2 miles N.E. of the village.
The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul,) has a nave, south aisle and chancel, with a tower and five bells ; and was appropriated to the Priory. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in 1831 at £171 , and having 8A. of glebe, but no parsonage house. It is in the patronage of the impropriator, Thos. May, Esq. , and incumbency of the Rev. N. Forster, of East Mersea. The tithes have been commuted for rent-charges. Here is an Independent Chapel, in which Mr. J. B. Harvey, of Colchester officiates. Its congregation was formed in 1800, and schools are attached to it and the church.
The CHURCH AND STRODE LANDS, given by unknown donors, comprise 54A. 1R. 30p. of arable land, and 26A. 2R. of woodland, held of the manor of West Mersea, in trust for applying the rents and profits in repairing the Church and the long causeway called the Strode or Strood, which connects the small Island of Mersea with the main land, and is composed of shingles enclosed on each side by stakes driven into the earth, so thick and close together as to form a raised wooden footpath above the level of the carriage road. This causeway is covered by the sea every tide. The arable land above-named is let for £60 per annum, but the woodland remains in the hands of the trustees, who cut down most of the timber during the last 40 years, and have built two houses upon the estate, one let for £20, and the other for £9 12s.; swelling the total yearly income to £89. 12s. , exclusive of about £5 derived from the woodland. The Strode exhausts about £15 a year, and the rest of the net income is applied to the repairs, &c. , of West Mersea Church. The master of the Sunday School has the interest of £180, left by Sarah Overall in 1813 ; and the poor parishioners have £3 a year from Comyn’s Charity, as noticed with Peldon.
WEST MERSEA,
Bacon John, butcher
Banks Henry, tailor
Boley William, shoemaker
Collard John, coast guard
Downes Charles, miller and baker
Francis William, policeman
Halls Daniel, coal and corn merchant
Haxall John, parish clerk
Kooystra Lieut. J. B., commander of the coast guard schooner
Ladbrook John, bricklayer
McCullen William, riding officer
May Hy. Jno. oyster merchant, &c.
May Thos. Esq. and Mrs. M. A.
Munson Joseph, blacksmith
Munson Samuel, wheelwright
Munson William, tailor
Norman Jno. Sargeant, surgeon
Overall Miss, schoolmistress
Overall Stephen, coal merchant
Skelton William, decoyman
Southgate Charles, ship owner
Stedman William Rt. vict. White Hart
Williams Capt. Alfred Edw. , Hall
BEERHOUSES.
Gentry Robert – Victory
Rogers William – Fox
FARMERS
Baldery Simon
Bean Edwin
Bean Henry
Blyth Francis
Blyth Thomas
Boley Thomas
Bonner Mattw.
Brand Thomas
Cock Charles
Croyden George, Brick House
Fenner Thomas, (and baker)
Harvey Martin, Peete Hall
Harvey Ts. Green
Hawes Henry Medcalf
Hawes John
Keable Thomas
Strutt Thomas
Tracey Thomas
Watling Arthur
Watson Joseph, Bocking Hall
FISHERMEN. (Oysters, &c.)
Freshwater Arld
Freshwater Thomas
Freshwater William
Innes John
May Hy. John
Spitty William
GARDENERS
Pullen Elijah
Pullen John
Pullen Mrs
GROCERS, &c.
Kemp James
White William ( and draper)
Post from Colchester
CARRIER.
W. R. Stedman, to Colchester, M.,W. and Sat.
East Mersea 1848 Whites directory
MERSEA ( EAST) is a village and parish forming the eastern part of Mersea Island, 9 miles S.S.E. of Colchester, bounded on the south and east by the Ocean, and the estuary of the river Colne. It contains 331 inhabitants, and about 1820 acres of land, including about 500 acres of low marshes and saltings, bordering on Pyefleet creek, on the south side of the island. It was formerly held by the Rivers, Creffield, and other families. George Round, Esq., is now lord of the manor of Mersea Hall, and also owner of the estates here called Renshales and Rusalls ; but Sir Warren Mdk. Peacock, K.C.G. , is lord ofthe manor of Reeves Hall, on the south side of the parish, and several smaller owners have estates here, chiefly copyhold.
The Church (St. Edmund,) is an ancient structure consisting of a nave, south aisle, achancel, with a small chapel, and a square tower. The latter was formerly used as a beacon, and had five bells, but has now only two. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £21, and in 1831 at £358, has 21A. of glebe, and a small manor, with a court leet and baron. It is in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. John Bramston Stane, M.A., of Forest Hall, near Ongar. For teaching 21 poor children, a schoolmistress has certain voluntary contributions, and the dividends of £223. 6s. 8d. three per cent. Consols, left by the Rev. John Tickell in 1812. The Church Land, 8A. 1R. 4P. , is let for £10 , and has been vested in trust, for the repairs of the church, from an early period.
Avey George, beerhouse keeper – Dog and Pheasant
Cause William, saddler ( and Wigbro’ )
Ellis Robert, parish clerk
Forster Rev. Nathaniel , B.A. curate of East and vicar of West Mersea, Rectory
Greenleaf Jas. carrier to Colchester