Wickham Bishops 1848 Whites Directory

Wickham Bishops 1848 Whites Directory

WICKHAM BISHOPS, a pleasant scattered village, on the borders of Tiptree Heath, 3 miles S.S.E. of Witham, and 3 miles N. of Maldon, has in its parish 544 souls, and 1534A. 2R. 23P. of land, extending westward to the Maldon and Braintree Railway, and the river Blackwater, and crossed by many public roads. Two-thirds of the parish have a light, and the rest a tenacious loamy soil. The manor, with two woods (80A. ) and a great part of the parish, has belonged to the Bishops of London since the Saxon era, and they for a long period resided occasionally at the ancient Hall, which has given place to a modern farm house, which is still enclosed on three sides by a moat.
In 1375, Bishop Courtney obtained a license from Edward III , to impark 300 acres here. The old hall was pulled down many years ago, and the park converted into a farm. P. Wright, Esq. , is lessee of the manor, under the Bishop, and part of the parish belongs to W. Grainger, B. and R. W. Dixon, the Rev. T. Leigh , and a few smaller owners, mostly copyholders, subject to fines equal to 1 year’s rent.
The Church is a small ancient structure, with awooden turret, and stands near the river and the railway, more than a mile S.W. of the village. In one of the windows are the arms of the Bishop of London, in ancient stained glass. The stoup remains in the porch , and the font is of the 15th century. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12. 3s. 4d. , and in 1831 at £394, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Leigh, M.A., who has 90A. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence, commanding pleasing views. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for £476 per ann. The Parish School is supported chiefly by the rector, and here is a Baptist preaching room.

Blake Mrs Honeywood, Wickham Place
Borrett Hy. Golding, vict. Chequers
Dines Jeremiah, poulterer
Ewers Charles, parish clerk
Firman William, blacksmith
Gardiner James, assistant overseer of Great and Little Totham
Leigh Rev. Thos. M.A. rector & rural dean, (and rector of St. Magnus, London,) Rectory
Leigh Rev. Stratford, curate Manbey Rev. William M.A.
Milbank John, salesman
Otway Isaac, veterinary surgeon
Otway Mr William Isaac
White Mrs Spooners Benjamin, wheelwright

FARMERS .
Aldham Aaron, Heath-gate
Bright Josiah, White House
Dixon Benjamin and Robert Walker, millers, Wickham Mills
Foster Stephen, High Hall
Grainger William, Longs
Leigh Herbert, Esq. Hallfarm
Smith Thomas, The Hall

BAKERS.
Brown William
Coote Thomas
Dedman Robert

CARPENTERS.
Candler William
Warren William Morris, & beerhouse – Carpenters Arms

SCHOOL.
Brown Mrs
Habgood James

SHOPKEEPERS.
Ardley Edmund
Sharp Joseph
Sparkes William
Thorpe Lydia

SHOEMAKERS.
Bacon William
Bacon Nehemiah.
Bridge John
Bridge Samuel

LETTERS from Witham.