Woodham Mortimer Whites Directory in 1848
WOODHAM MORTIMER, or Little Woodham, is a small parish of scattered houses from 2 to 3 miles W.S.W. of Maldon, containing 308 inhabitants, and 1380A. 3R. 29P. of land, including 78A. of wood and 25A. of roads and waste. Siward held this parish in the Confessor’s reign, and at the Conquest it belonged to Ralph Peverell. Henry II gave it to Robert de Mortimer, from whose family it passed to the Talbots, Lucys, Tyrells, Careys, and Weggs. The Rev. J. T. Round now owns 306 acres, and is lord of the manor of Woodham Mortimer Place, which has its name from a neat and pleasant mansion, now the residence of J. O. Parker, Esq., who owns about 255 acres of land here. The other principal proprietors are the Coopers’ Company, 306A.; the Exors. of J. Grimwood, 176A.; and Jeremiah Pledger, 93A. The Hall, a large Elizabethan mansion, now occupied by a farmer, is said to have been built by Cranmer Harris, of whose family it was purchased in 1683 by Peter Chamberlin. In 1715, it was purchased by William Alexander, wine merchant, who left it to the Wine Coopers’ Company any, of London, the present owners, who have erected a handsome obelisk in front of the hall, in memory of the donor and his munificent gift. When making some alterations in the hall a few years ago, a place of concealment was found, opening by a trap door, and in it was a small box containing jewels, ladies’ gloves, &c. In the box was an inventory of the contents, and of some other articles dashed out with the pen.
The Church (St. Margaret,) is an ancient structure, with a nave and chancel of one pace, a north transept, and a wooden belfry, containing three bells and crowned by a small spire. The transept and porch were added in 1842, when the whole church was completely renovated, and new windows inserted in the perpendicular style. The altar piece is richly carved in the Corinthian order, and in the chancel is a piscina. The nave is newly pewed, and has a west gallery and small organ, the latter given by Mr. James Boyer, of the Coopers’ Company. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £368, is in the gift of the Rev. J. T. Round, and incumbency of the Rev. R. P. Morrell, M.A., who has 45A. 2R. 19p. of glebe, and a good residence, commanding fine views. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £349. 10s. per annum. For a weekly distribution of bread, the poor parishioners have the dividends of £125 three per cent. Reduced Annuities, purchased with £100 left by Viscountess Falkland. For the same purpose they have the dividends of £200 three per cent. Consols, left by Susannah Meard, in 1786.
Bourne John, beerhouse keeper
Cox Stephen, corn miller
Harris John, blacksmith
Jenkins John, vict. Royal Oak
Morrell Rev. Rt. Price, M.A. Rectory
Mulley Lydia, shopkeeper
Parker Mrs. The Grange
Parker John Oxley, Esq. The Place
Turner John, shoemaker
FARMERS.
Barnard Barnabas, Conduit
Bryant Frederick, Little Smiths
Cozens James Brewster, Lodge
Dyke James, Tyndales
Hart Exors. of Wm. (lessees) Hall
Ward Thomas Lay, Nursery Farm
Letters from Maldon.