Wormingford 1848 Whites directory

Wormingford 1848 Whites directory

WORMINGFORD is a parish and scattered village, on the southern acclivity of the vale of the navigable river Stour, 6 miles N.W. of Colchester, and 3 miles W.S.W. of Nayland. It contains 524 souls, and 2270A. 2R. 8P. of land, rising boldly from the banks of the river, and having a sandy soil, with an abundant admixture of clay. It has been variously written Wethermundeford, Wormington, &c., and was held by Earl Godwin, in the Confessor’s reign ; and by Robert Gernon, at the Domesday survey. It is in two manors, viz. , Wormingford Hall and Church Hall, and John Jolliffe Tufnell is lord of both ; but a great part of the soil belongs to Geo. Nottidge, Esq. , and several smaller owners. Wormingford Hall, now a farm-house, had formerly a park ; and a mere of 12A. , formed by the Stour, opposite Smallbridge, belonged to it. Church Hall was given with the church to the nuns of Wikes, by Walter Windlesores, in the reign of of Henry II . , but was granted by Henry VIII. to Cardinal Wolsey, who gave it to the abbey of Waltham Cross. It afterwards passed, with the other manor, to the Waldegraves, and was sold by J. Wall to S. Tufnell, Esq. , of Langleys. Near the river is the site of an ancient moated house called Gernoms, from the family who occupied it ; and about a mile from the church is Wood Hall, the pleasant residence of J. T. L. Hallam, Esq., which was a member of the honor of Rayleigh, and passed from the Paleys to Viscount Grimston.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is a neat structure of stone and brick, and has a leaded nave and south aisle, a tiled chancel, and a square tower, containing four bells. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7 . 13s. 4d., and in 1831 , at £310, is enjoyed by the Rev. T. P. Tufnell, M.A. , who has a good residence, and 6.5A. of glebe. J. J. Tufnell, Esq. , is patron, and also impropriator of the rectory. The tithes were commuted in 1839, the rectorial for £478, and the vicarial for £363 per annum. The poor parishioners have £2.10s. yearly from Love’s Charity. (See Aldham.)
In 1832, JAMES ROBINSON covenanted with the vicar of this parish, that his executors, within six months after his decease, should, out of his personal estate, purchase as much stock as would yield £35 per annum, to be applied as follows :-£10 for schooling poor children ; £10 in supplying the poor parishioners with coals, at reduced price ; and the remaining £15 in a distribution of blankets and winter clothing to the most needy parishioners. In the same year, he left by will £500, to be invested in stock, and the dividends to be distributed yearly amongst the most deserving poor of the parish, on St. Thomas’s day. These charities were not established till after the termination of a suit in Chancery. In 1836, the executors were ordered to pay into court upwards of £3000, which they had received in respect of the donor’s personal estate, and out of that sum the costs of the suit were paid, and stock was purchased agreeable to the donor’s will. The annuity of £10, for education, is applied in aid of the National School.

Clark Joseph, baker and grocer
Clark Thomas Henry, parish clerk
Crisp Charles, saddler, &c.
Death William, thatcher & shopkeeper
Dixey Thomas vict. Crown Inn
Fisher Hayward & Thomas, wheelwrights &c.
Fowler William, postman to Colchester
Grimwood George, blacksmith
Lewin Abrm. brewer, & Mrs. school
Oakley John, wheelwright
Scott John, beerhouse & blacksmith – Queens Head
Stannard R. J. & W. corn millers
Tufnell Rev. Thos. Pocklington, M.A. Vicarage
Wilby James, shoemaker
Woodcock James, machinist

FARMERS. (+ are Owners.)
Bull Robert
Bush Abrm.
Bush John
Constable Abram,
Gernons
Constable John, Wormingford Hall
Cooper Mark, Church Hall
+Everard Robert
+Hallam John T. L., Wood Hall
+Hallam Thos. , Grove
+Harvey Martin
Keeble John
Pettitt Charles
+Rolfe Ann
Sargeant Ann
Tompkin Edw.

POST from Colchester daily