Tolleshunt D’Arcy 1848 Whites Directory

Tolleshunt D’Arcy 1848 Whites Directory

TOLLESHUNT D’ARCY is a large and well-built village, pleasantly situated on a commanding eminence, 7 miles N.E. by E. of Maldon, and 2 miles N. of the estuary of the Blackwater. Its parish contains 733 souls, and 3142A. 3R. 22P. of land, and has several neat houses. It is fertile and salubrious, and noted for the social and friendly intercourse of all classes of its inhabitants. A fair for toys , &c. , is held in the village on June 11th. J. G. Rebow, Esq. , is lord of the manor of Tolleshunt D’Arcy Hall, which belonged to Ralph Peverell at the Domesday Survey, and afterwards passed to the Tregoz, Valoines, Boys, D’Arcy, Vane, and other families. It was purchased about 1680, by Sir Isaac Rebow, Knight, of Colchester. There are two smaller manors in the parish, called Gernons and Virli, and a great part of the soil belongs to the executors of the late Jeffery Grimwood, Esq. , and the Seabrook, Fenn, Francis, and other families. The Hall, occupied by a farmer, is still a large ancient mansion, though part of it was taken down about 55 years ago. It is rich in old carvings, and is surrounded by a moat, crossed by a stone bridge of four arches, on which are the arms of D’Arcy, and the date 1575. Lanbrokes, another old farm-house, was formerly the seat of a younger branch of the D’Arcy family. The ancient house on Freme farm was a seat of the Beckinghams, and contains some finely carved wainscoting.
Church ( St. Nicholas,) has a nave and chancel, and a north aisle, called D’Arcy’s chapel, being the burial place of that family. The tower is of stone, embattled, and contains five bells. The building was thoroughly repaired in 1810, and is a fine specimen of the perpendicular style, with some windows in the decorative style. In the chapel is a beautiful cinquefoiled piscina, and a fine mural monument, on which are kneeling figures of Anthony D’Arcy, Esq. , his lady, and children. He died in 1540. Another monument bears the effigy of John Boys, Esq. , who died in 1419. The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £18 10s., and in 1831, at £150, is in the patronage of J G Rebow, Esq. , and incumbency of the Rev J C Driffield MA, who has a neat residence and 4A. IR. 15P. of glebe. Part of the pa- rish is tithe-free, and a large portion of it belongs to J. G. Rebow, Esq., the impropriator of the rectory. The tithes were commuted in 1840, the rectorial for £280, and the vicarial for £250. 5s. per annum. There is a Sunday School at the church. For distribution in bread, meat, and flour, the poor parishioners have about £25 yearly from HENRY SMITH’S CHARITY. White House Farm (295A. 2R. 8p.) belongs to this charity, and is in this parish. It is let for £325. per annum to Mrs. C. Argent, and has been occupied by her family more than a century. The rent belongs to the poor of this and thirteen other parishes, as noticed with Braintree.

POST OFFICE at E. Martin’s Letters despatched at 4 evening, via Maldon, foot-post.
Ayton Mrs
Woodyard Mrs
Blaxall James William, baker
Cobb Thomas, pork butcher
Cockett James, vict. Queen’s Head
Dawson John, surgeon
Driffield Rev. Joseph Chas., M.A. vicar
Gardner William, retail brewer
Gooch John, parish clerk
Holding Richard, cattle dealer
Hughes Mary, dress maker
Hume John, beerhouse – Thatchers Arms
Last James, wheelwright
Mann John, vict. Red Lion
Martin Francis, watchmaker
Mayne John, cooper ( and Kelvedon)
Otway Lawrence, veterinary surgeon
Otway William. relieving officer
Page Orbell , smith, wheelwright and coach builder
Sargeant Joshua, machine maker
Whitfield Edmund, surgeon

FARMERS (+ are Owners.)
Argent Caroline, White House
+Bunting John, sen. & jun. Tolleshunts
Cocks Frederick, Groves
+Fenn John Tudwick
+France Robert, Freme
Gardner Francis (and maltster)
Good Robert, Tudwick
Martin James, Laurel
Mott John, Lanbrokes
Page Joseph, The Hyde
Perry Henry, Brook House
Runnicles William , Tudwick
+Sach James (Executors of)
Sanders Joseph, Skinner’s Wick
+Seabrook Richard (butcher,) Street
+Seabrook Robert, Hall
+Seabrook Sarah, Spital
Wakelin Hezekiah
Unwin Mary
Wakelin William, cattle dealer
Ward Thomas, Sparrow Hawkes

ACADEMIES.
Everard Mrs. and Hy. Chas. (bdg.)
Feltham Thomas
Hudson Alice A.
Martin Emmata

BRICKLAYERS
Crow Charles
Hearn Thomas

PLUMBERS, PAINTERS, &c.
Cawston John
Garrood Jesse D.
Hawkes Samuel

SADDLERS
Howe George
Polley William

SHOEMAKERS
Fenn George
Martin Edward

SHOPKEEPERS
Moore & Griffin ;
Saml. Hudson, manager
Walford William
White William

TAILORS
Carter Charles
Ludgater Samuel

CARRIERS
To Colchester. (See Tollesbury)