Fobbing 1848 Whites directory

Fobbing 1848 Whites directoryFOBBING, a compact village of one street on a bold acclivity, overlooking the marshes and the Thames, is nearly two miles N. of that river, 3 miles E. of Horndon-on-the- Hill, and 7 miles S. by E. Billericay. Its parish contains 428 inhabitants, and 2632A. 3R. 38P. of land, mostly in low … Read more

Dunton 1848 Whites directory

Dunton 1848 Whites directoryDUNTON, or Dunton Waylett, a small pleasant village on elevated ground, 5 miles S.S.E. of Brentwood, and S.S.W. of Billericay, has in its parish 194 souls, and 2338 acres of land, including part of Laindon Hills. Ulwin, a priest, held it in the Confessor’s reign, and at the Domesday Survey, it belonged … Read more

Downham 1848 Whites directory

Downham 1848 Whites directoryDOWNHAM, a parish of scattered houses on the north side of this Hundred, 4 miles E. by W. of Billericay, has 254 souls, and 2152 acres of land , rising in bold undulations, and mostly belonging to R. B. Berens and E. R. Benyon, Esqrs. It is not named in Domesday Book, … Read more

Corringham 1848 Whites directory

Corringham 1848 Whites directoryCORRINGHAM, a small scattered village, about 1½ mile N. of the Thames, and 11 miles S.S.W. of Brentwood, has in its parish 255 souls, and 2856 acres of land, including a large tract of low marshes, intersected by several creeks of the Thames, one of which is the proposed site of Thames … Read more

Bulphan 1848 Whites directory

Bulphan 1848 Whites directoryBULPHAN, or Bulfan, is a pleasant village and parish, 3 miles N.W. of Horndon on the Hill, and 7 miles S. by E. of Brentwood, containing 254 inhabitants, and 1651 acres of land, descending westward to a rivulet, where it has some low land, called Bulphan Fen.Barking Abbey held the manor till … Read more

Bowers Gifford 1848 Whites directory

Bowers Gifford 1848 Whites directoryBOWERS GIFFORD, or Bures Gifford, a small village, 4 miles W.S.W. of Rayleigh, has in its parish 249 souls, and 2606 acres of land, partly in low marshes, extending southward to South Benfleet creek, and including part of Canvey Island. Before the Conquest it belonged to Westminster Abbey, but at Domesday … Read more