Little Braxted 1848 Whites Directory
BRAXTED ( LITTLE) is a small parish, on the east side of the river Blackwater, one mile east of Witham, containing only 126 inhabitants, 563 acres of land, a few scattered houses and cottages, and a water mill. The trustees of the late Sir W. B. Rush are owners of most of the parish, and lords of the manor, which passed from the Aylett to the Rush family about the year 1717. The Church (St. Nicholas,) is a small Norman structure, with a wooden belfry and two bells. Anold Norman semicircular apsis forms the chancel, but the porch is of wood in the Tudor style. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £3. 6s. 8d. , and in 1831 at £120, is in the gift of the trustees of the late Sir W. B. Rush, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Chas. Thomas Pettingal, M.A., of Richmond, Surrey, for whom the Rev. T. F. Gower, B.A. , of Great Totham officiates. The glebe is 7A. 3R. , but there is no parsonage house. The poor have two cottages, let for £7, and derived from an unknown donor.
Beck William, vict. Green Man
Coe James, shopkeeper
Copland Frederick, corn miller
Fisher George, parish clerk
Gooday Joshua, wheelwright
Gooday William, farmer, Hales Farm
Hutley Joseph French, farmer, Hall
Rush Chas. Esq. Braxted Place
Thedam Thomas King, farmer
POST from Witham