Boxted 1848 Whites Directory
BOXTED, a pleasant village and parish on the south side of the vale of the river Stour, 6 miles N. of Colchester, and 2 miles E.S.E. of Nayland, contains 856 inhabitants, and 3082A. 3R. 22P. of land. The soil is a light gravelly loam, well adapted for turnip husbandry ; and belongs to the Freeman, Rush, Lawson, Hobbs, Smythies, Sadler, Whitaker, and other families. It is partly free and partly copy hold, and is in two manors, viz. , Rivers Hall, belonging to Mrs. Hannah Freeman ; and Borted Hall, of which the trustees of the late Sir Wm. Rush are lords. At the Norman Survey, these manors belonged to Eudo Dapifer and Eustace Earl of Boulogne, the latter of whom had Boxted Hall, which was afterwards held by the Strangeways, Bayning, and other families. Hill House is the seat of Thos. Whitaker, Esq. Boxted Heath, about 400A., was enclosed about 1820, and is now in a high state of cultivation.
The Church (St. Peter) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells, and has undergone many repairs, without regard to its original style of architecture. It has an elegant mural monument, with a long latin inscription in memory of Sir Richard Blackmore, M.D. , who died in 1729, and was author of many valuable works, medical, theological, and poetical. His epic poem, ” The Creation,” has continued to be reprinted, and is deservedly admired, as containing numerous beautiful and sublime passages.
The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7. 13s. 9d., and in 1831 at £190, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Chas. Norman, M.A. John Josselyn, Esq. , is impropriator of the rectorial tithes, which were commuted in 1838 for £532, and the vicarial for £224 per annum. Here is a commodious National School, built in 1837 ; and also a Wesleyan Chapel, to which a school is attached. The poor parishioners have a share of Love’s Charity.
In 1663, Robert Gilder left three small almshouses for the residence of three poor widows, and endowed them with 2A. 9P. of land, now let for £2. 10s. a year. Camping Close, 24. 3R. 13p. , was given to the parishioners as a place of exercise, at an early period, but is now let for £2. 10s., which is carried to the poor rates.
When the Heath was enclosed, an allotment of one acre was awarded to the poor. It is occupied rent free by a poor man, but gravel is taken from it to repair the roads.
Abbott John, saddler, &c.
Bacon John, butcher
Burleigh William, vict. Greyhound
Cant B. R. nurseryman, seedsman, &c. (and Colchester)
Chignall Daniel, shoemaker
Clark Peter, gent. Verandah Cottage
Freeman Mrs Hanh. Boxted Hall
Green Misses Mary and Ann
Hobbs William Fisher, Esq. Boxted Lodge
Mason Fredk. relieving officer & registrar
Meadowcroft Misses Sar. Eliz. & Ann
Josselyn Jno. butcher & vict, Cross
Martin George, gardener, &c.
Norman Rev. Chas. , M.A. vicar
Rust Samuel, shoemaker
Webb Joseph, bricklayer
Whitaker Misses Eliz. and Charlotte.
Whitaker Thos. Esq. Hill House
ACADEMIES.
Malyn Robt. bdg
Meadowcroft Rd.
Nevard Sophia
Rust Betty
Webb Mrs M.
BAKERS AND BEERSELLERS.
Appleby Eliz (& brewer)
Cole Joseph
BLACKSMITHS.
Cooper Michael
Seaborn John
Wright James
CORN MILLERS.
Mason Benj.
Sparks Henry
FARMERS. (+ Cattle Dirs.)
Beardwell Thos.
Blyth Samuel
Cole Stephen
Cole William
Cole William jun.
Everitt Nathaniel
Faiers Charles
Folkard Henry
+Folkard Geo.
+Folkard James
Gardener James
Garwood Abm.
Harvey James, Priory
Minter Edward
Mower William
Nevard John
Page Isaac
+Page Jacob
+Page Robert
+Page William
Parson Joseph.
Parson William, Rivers Hall
Royce Jno. Brickwood, Hall
SHOPKEEPERS.
Cole Joseph
Josselyn John
Malyn Thomas
WHEELWRIGHTS
Cole William jun.
Folkard Henry
POST from Colchester daily