Fordham 1848 Whites Directory
FORDHAM, a pleasant village on the north side of the river Colne, 6 miles W.N.W. of Colchester, and 7 miles F.S.E. of Halstead, has in its parish 739 souls, and about 2000 acres of land, including 30A. of open heath. It is sometimes called Great Fordham, to distinguish it from Aldham, or Little Fordham, on the opposite side of the river. Onley Savill Onley, Esq., is lord of the manor of Great Fordham and the Frith ; and Earl de Grey is lord of the manor of Fordham Hall. Under the Conqueror, these manors were held by Hugh de Gurnai, William of Warren, and Richard Fitz-Gilbert.
The Church (All Saints,) stands on elevated ground, and has a nave, aisles, and chancel, with asquare tower at the west end, containing three bells, and surmounted by a lofty wooden spire, which is seen at a great distance. The roof is now covered with tiles, the lead having been stripped off in the civil wars, for the manufacture of bullets. In 1549, Edward VI. granted a free chapel here to Ralph Agard and Thomas Smyth. The rectory valued in K.B. at £14. 4s. 2d., and in 1831 at £605, is in the alternate patronage of Earl de Grey and O. S. Onley, Esq., and is now enjoyed by the Rev. W. H. Herring , B.A., who has 25A. IR. 30P. of glebe, and a good residence. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £560 per annum. The poor have £2 10s. yearly from Love’s Charity, (see Aldham,) and the parish clerk has a rood of land given by an unknown donor. In 1797, Wm. Ellis bequeathed £1000 upon trust, to invest the same in the purchase of property, and to apply the yearly proceeds as follows : £10 to the minister of LADY HUNTINGDON’S CHAPEL, at Fordham ; 20s. to the clerk ; 40s. to the person who teaches singing in the chapel ; 40s., for distribution in bread, at Christmas, among the poor of the congregation ; £10 to the minister, or any other person, for teaching ten poor children reading, writing, and ac- counts ; and to expend the residue in painting and repairing the said chapel, which was built about 1790, chiefly at the cost of Robert Spark, who also left £700 to be invested for the benefit of the minister. Mr. Spark, having Ellis’s legacy in his own hands, charged the payment of both sums (£1700,) on a farm of 85A. , called Howe’s or Godfrey’s, which he bequeathed to the Rev. John Harris, the late minister. In respect of these charities, this farm is now charged with the yearly rent of £75. Messrs. Eisdell, Chaplin, Savill, and others, are the trustees, and the Rev. J. F. James is minister of the chapel, which is a neat building, with about300 sittings, and has a house and school attached.
Bunter Wm. tailor
Funnell Thomas, vict. Shoulder of Mutton
Herring Rev William Harvey, A.B., Rectory
James Rev. Jno. Fras. ( Huntgn. min.)
Leatherdale Thomas, carpenter, &c.
Polley John, cattle dealer
Wilby Jno. , shoemaker and parish clerk
BEER HOUSES.
Bull Oliver – Three Horse Shoes
Pudney John
BLACKSMITHS.
Arnold Thomas
Bull Oliver
BRICKLAYERS.
Buck Jesse
Diss Abm.
CORN MILLERS.
Derlin Charles
Green Thomas
FARMERS.
Alt Sarah
Beard William
Buli Robert
Cant Thomas
Cooper Mark
Daniell Thomas
Death Joseph
Firman Benjamin
Forsdyke James
Grant James
Green Isaac, Hall
Green Joseph
Harvey James
Harvey Martin
Joslyn Robert
Marchant Clement
King Alexander
Partridge Hannah
PattenAnty.
Perry Thomas
Pettit Zach.
SalmonHenry
Taylor Charles
Taylor Thomas
Verlander Jacob
GROCERS, &c.
Diss Abm.
Firmin Benjamin ( & sack manufacturer )
Partridge James
WHEELWRIGHTS.
Arnold Thomas
King Jehu
POST from Halstead daily.