Great Horkesley 1848 Whites Directory
HORKESLEY, ( GREAT) a pleasant, scattered village, on the south side of the vale ofthe river Stour, opposite Nayland on the Suffolk side of the river, where there is a good bridge, up to which the Stour is navigable for small craft. Horkesley Green and Causeway, and the principal part of the village, are in the higher part of the vale, from 1 to 3 miles S. of Nayland, and from 4 to 5 miles N. of Colchester. The parish contains 730 inhabitants, and about 3000 acres of land, which was anciently part of the parish and manor of Nayland, or Neyland, and as such it was granted, in 1256, to John de Burgh, who had free warren here. It afterwards passed to the Neyland, Scrope, Shelley, Bayning, Freeman, and other families. The manor has recently been purchased by Jas. Cuddon, Esq., of Norwich, but the soil belongs to Earl de Grey, Lord Ashburton, Sir J. R. Rowley, G. & W. S. Sadler, J. L. and R. Green, Capt. Kelso, W. Corder, and several other proprietors, chiefly copyholders. Brewood Hallfarm belongs to Earl de Grey ; and Red Park is the seat of Capt. E. J. F. Kelso . Near Woodhouse, is a trench and other remains of an ancient encampment, and some antiquaries are of opinion that it is the site of the British Oppidum, described by Julius Cæsar.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) has a leaded nave and south aisle, a tiled chancel, and a handsome tower, containing six bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15, and in 1831 at £750, is in the gift of Earl de Grey, and incumbency of the Rev. D. F. Markham, M.A., who has a handsome residence, with woody pleasure grounds. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £1005. 17s. 6d. per annum. In the parish is an old Quakers’ Burial Ground, of 36 perches , now a plantation. National and Infant Schools supported by the rector and other contributors. A small ancient building, on the west side of the Causeway, is supposed to be the remains of Our Lady’s Chapel, founded by John Falcon ; and in the south part of the parish is a small chapel of ease, erected about 1837, by J. L. Green, Esq. The poor have £2. 10s. yearly from Love’s Charity, (see Aldham,) and also £30 a-year as the rent of a farm of 30A. at Elmsted, left in 1509, by John Guyon. A farm in the parish belongs to the vicarage of St. Peter’s, Colchester.
Baker Rev. Hy. Williams, B.A. curate
Kelso Capt. Edw.Jno. Fras. Red Park
Bower Sarah, vict. Rose and Crown
Creffield Daniel, policeman
Markham Rev Dd Frederick M A, rectoy
and canon of Windsor, Rectory
Mason Frederick, relieving officer, &c.
Oakley Daniel, wheelwright
Rout Henry, Post Office
Simpson John, carpenter
Simpson Thomas, butcher
Wenlock George, blacksmith
Woodhead John, parish clerk
BEER HOUSES.
Bruce Samuel
Sparkes Joseph
FARMERS. + are Owners.
Bentall Sus.
+Bibby Daniel
Birch Mrs.
+Brown Philip
Croydon William
+Daniell Thomas
Folkard William
+Green John L.
+Green Robert
+Kenningale B.
Kersey Caroline, Woodhouse
+Knopp Samuel
Lee Carrington
Nevard William
Page Chas. (and cattle dealer)
Partridge William, Brewood
Seaborn John
Sadler William, Stebbing
Stannard Jeremiah jun. Mount Hall
Stedman William , White Park
Strutt William
SCHOOLS .
Cordingley Fanny
Dracup Isaac
Newman Sarah
SHOEMAKERS.
Cream Henry
Boggis John
Bradbrook Fred.
Bruce Samuel
SHOPKEEPERS.
Austin Eliz.
Bibby John
Butcher John ( & baker & miller)
Munson Daniel
POST from Colchester, &c. daily