White Colne 1848 Whites Directory

White Colne 1848 Whites Directory

COLNE ( WHITE) is a village and parish, on the north side of the river Colne, opposite Earl’s Colne, and on the Colchester road, 4 miles E.S.E. of Halstead. It contains 419 souls and 1730 acres of land ; and was anciently called Colne le Blanc, from the Le Blanc family, who held it at the Norman survey, but it soon afterwards passed to the De Vere and other families. The Rev. W. E. Hume, M.A., is impropriator of the great tithes, patron and incumbent of the perpetual curacy, (valued at £130,) lord of the manor, and owner of Barwick Hall estate ; but the estates, called Ingledesthorp and Bert Hall, belong to Osgood Hanbury, Esq. Mr. Samuel Francis and several smaller owners have land in the parish, which is mostly freehold. The tithes have been commuted for £480 per annum.
The Church ( All Saints,) is a small building, with a tower, containing one bell, and crowned by a spire. It was repaired about 75 years ago, and a small gallery was erected in 1846. It has now 172 sittings, of which 146 are free. It was appropriated to Colne Priory, and since the dissolution the living has been a donative, in the gift of the owner of Barwick Hall, now a farm house. The Particular Baptists have a small chapel here, built in 1843. The Town Field, 2A. , is supposed to have been given by a Mr. Gurliphaunt, and is let for £3 a year, which is carried to the poor rates.

Dixon Rev. John, Baptist minister
Fairhead Edw. gardener, &c.
Holden James, grocer
Hume Rev. William Edw., M.A. incumbent; house Earl’s Colne
Nicholson George, vict King’s Head
Ringer Elijah, shoemaker

BLACKSMITHS.
Rayner John
Wheeler Alfred. (& wheelwright)

FARMERS
Beard Jno . Barwick Hall
Francis Samuel
Pilgrim Robert
Wood William
Pilgrim Jeffry
Shave John
Wood William

Post from Wakes Colne, daily