Copford 1848 Whites Directory

Copford 1848 Whites Directory
COPFORD is pleasant parish of scattered houses near the small , river Roman, and the London road, from 4 to 5 miles W. by S. of Colchester. It contains 645 inhabitants, and 2350 acres of land, traversed by the Eastern Counties Railway, near Marks Tey station and Stanway. Much of the land lies low, and the soil is gravelly. F. G. F. Harrison, Esq. , is lord of the manor, and resides at CoPFORD HALL, a handsome mansion, in a small park, ornamented with several pieces of water. This manor was held by the Bishops of London till the death of Bishop Bonner, who occasionally resided here, and is said to have planted the shady walk which leads to the church. It afterwards went to the Crown, but was granted in 1609 to John Argent and John Phillips, who sold it to Edward Mountjoy, of whom it was purchased by John Haynes, Esq. , from whose descendants it came to the Harrisons. The Rev. J. T. Round, C. G. Round, Esq. , Earl de Grey, Abrm. Johnson,Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish, which is mostly freehold. Bottingham Hall, an old farm-house, was anciently a seat of a family of its own name, and passed from them to the Teys, and from the latter to the Neville, Butler, Mandeville, Webster, and Grey families.
The Church stands near Copford Hall, and is a small antique structure, remarkable for the great thickness of its walls. It has a semicircular east end, and when repaired in 1690, some fine fresco paintings were discovered on the walls. The doors are covered with ornamental flourishes of iron- work, and under these are the remains of a kind of tanned skins, which tradition says were the skins of Danes, who had robbed the church ! The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15. 3s. 4d. , and in 1831 at £550, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. K. C. Bayley, M.A., (son of the late Judge Bayley,) who has a large white brick residence, and 74A. 2R. 3P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £656.18s. per annum, subject to rates, and including the glebe. A house, now in three tenements, with agarden of half an acre, was left in 1694, by Allen Mountjoy, for the residence of poor labouring men, members of the church, and not receiving parish relief.

Ambrose John, chief constable, and brick and tile maker
Bayley Rev. Kennett Champaign, M.A. Rectory
Bartholomew Hannah, beerhouse
Bowler Henry, baker, &c.
Cobb Wm. joiner and builder
ElyJohn, corn miller, &c.
Haynes Mrs M. R., Copford Place
Harrison Fyske Goodeve Fyske, Esq. , Copford Hall
Ralling S. & E. shopkeepers
Robarts Jas. gent. Copford Lodge
Saunders John, postman
Scott James, brick yard manager
Smith Robert, brick & tile maker
Tampion John, blacksmith

FARMERS.
Creak James
Gulson Thomas
Kirkby Joseph
Levett Robert
Maskell Henry
Norfolk Joseph
Polley Samuel
Powell Thomas
Poulton James
Ransom Jno. , Bottingham Hall
Scott John
Shynn Samuel
Wagstaff James

WHEELWRIGHTS.
Hutton Thomas
King Jehu

POST from Colchester daily