Little Tey 1848 Whites Directory
TEY, (LITTLE) 7 miles W. by S. of Colchester, and 3 miles E. of Coggleshall, is one of the smallest parishes in the county, having only 59 souls, and 486A. IR. 32P. ofland. It anciently belonged with Feering to Westminster Abbey. The Bishop of London is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs to J. G. Lay, Esq. , of Great Tey; the Rev. M. G. Dennis, of Kelvedon, and a few smaller owners.
The Church (St. James,) is a small structure, with wooden turret and one bell. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £4, and in 1831 at £120 ; in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. George Pawson, B.A., who is also a surrogate.
The land is occupied by farmers in the adjoining parishes ; but Mr. James Mayhew’s house is partly in this and partly in Marks Tey parish. Little Tey House belongs to J. G. Lay, Esq., of Great Tey.