Asheldam 1848 Whites Directory

Asheldam 1848 Whites Directory
ASHELDHAM is a small parish of scattered houses, 2 miles N.E. of Southminster, and 10 miles E.S.E. of Maldon, containing 140 souls, and 1673 acres of land. It is in three manors, viz. , Asheldham Hall and New Hall, belonging to Lord Petre, and Bodenyks, belonging to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London; but part of the soil belongs to a few smaller owners. Eudo Dapifer held the parish at the Domesday Survey, and it afterwards passed to the Roos, Brockhole, Dever- eux, Warren, and other families.
The Church (St. Lawrence,) is a plain fabric, with a square tower, and a nave and chancel of one pace. It was given by Robert, son of Godebold, to Little Horksley Priory. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £348. The Bishop of London is patron, and the Rev. W. W. Dakins, D.D., rector of St. Michael’s, Crooked lane, London,
is the incumbent. The Parsonage house is small, but the glebe is 40A. , and the tithes were commuted in 1837 for £420 per annum. The poor have £1 3s. 6d. yearly from William Aylett’s Charity, noticed with Southminster. About 150A. of common land, in this parish, was enclosed in 1845.
Badger Rev. Jas. , B.A., curate of Asheldham and Mayland
Bushell William S. miller ( & Bradwell)
Grice John, farmer, Hall
Grice George, relieving officer
Ketcher Geo. farmer, Sandlings
Lister Ambrose, parish clerk Malden
Thomas Smith, farmer, New Hall