Creeksea, Cricksea or Croxeth Whites Directory in 1848
CRICKSEA, or CRIXETH, is a small village and parish, on the north side of the navigable river Crouch, 2 miles W.N.W. of Burnham; and contains 199 souls, and 848 acres of land. Some of its houses adjoin the village of Ostend, which is mostly in Burnham parish. Lady Mildmay and J. B. Daubuz, Esq. , own nearly all the soil, and the former is lady of the manor, which formerly belonged to the Chanceux, Darcy, Harrys, and other families. Aluuard held it in the Confessor’s time, and Modiun at the Norman Survey.
The Church (All Saints,) is a small ancient fabric, and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 8s. 10d. , and in 1831 at £400, is consolidated with the vicarage of Althorne, where the incumbent resides, there being no parsonage house here. The poor parishioners have 18s. 11d. yearly from Aylett’s Charity, as noticed with Southminster ; and a yearly rent-charge of £1 , left by an unknown donor, out of land, called Mustards.
Gill Charles, wheelwright
Potton Elijah, vict. Greyhound, Cricksea Ferry
Rolfe James, shopkeeper, Ostend
Smith Mr. John, Cricksea Place
Taylor John, parish clerk
FARMERS.
Baker William, Cricksea Place
Croxon Sar. , Eliz. , & L. A. Lodge
Kemp Samuel, Cricksea House
Patmore Philip, (& owner)