Little Totham 1848 Whites Directory
TOTHAM (LITTLE) is a parish of scattered houses, 3 miles N.E. of Maldon, and contains 384 souls, and 1144 acres of land, extending about two miles south from the church, to Chigborough farm, and the low marshes on the north shore of the broad estuary of the Blackwater, of which the higher parts of the parish command pleasing prospects . George Nottidge, Esq. , is lord of the manor of Little Totham, which formerly belonged successively to the Montfort, Capevil, Heven- ingham, Brown, and Sammes families, the latter of whom built the Hall, which had a park of 80 acres. A great part of the parish belongs to the Carter family, W. P. Honeywood, Esq. , J. H. C. Coape, Esq. , W. F. Fairhead, and several smaller owners, partly copyholders. It extends northward to Tiptree Heath.
The Church (All Saints, ) is a small ancient building, with a modern tower, built of flint and stone up to the first story, and the upper part of wood, containing three bells. The west entrance, within the porch , is one of the most highly enriched Norman doorways in the county. In the chancel is a mural monument, with kneeling effigies, in memory of J. Sammes, Esq. , and his wife, the former of whom died in 1606. The rectory is consolidated with that of Goldhanger. The glebe here is 7A. 9P. , and the tithes have been commuted for £368 per annum.
Belsham William beerhouse – White Hart
Hall Charles, miller, Barrow Hill
Rawlinson Charles, parish clerk
Quy Henry, vict. White Horse
Wager William, poulterer
Wager Joseph, shopkeeper
FARMERS .
Boys John, Porters and Cottage
Carter John Wilkin, Hall
Carter Sarah, Elizabeth, and Ann, Chigborough
Carter Challis, Exors. of, Rook Hall
Fairhead William Fras. Little Renters
Payne John, ( house Maldon)
Quihampton Henry, Chapel farm
Sharp William , Maplegate
Wallis William, Barrett
LETTERS from Maldon.