Langenhoe 1848 Whites directory

Langenhoe 1848 Whites directory

LANGENHOE, a scattered village on a declivity, 5 miles S. of Colchester, has in its parish 161 inhabitants, and about 2063 acres of land, extending eastward to the river Colne, and including 30 acres of waste, roads, and water. The Countess of Waldegrave, wife of the Hon. Harcourt Vernon, is lady of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to Sir G. H. Smyth, John Bawtree, Esq., Major Brock, C. E. Cooper, T. Pertwee, and a few smaller owners. The manor was formerly held by the Despenser, Bradenham, Fitzwalter, and other families, but it has belonged to the Waldegraves since 1600. A small island between Mersea creek and Parrock is called Pewet Island, and is let with the Hall farm.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is a small ancient structure, with a stone tower, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £14 . 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £446. Countess Waldegrave is the patroness, and the Rev. William Parkinson, M.A., incumbent. The Parsonage is a handsome modern building, of white brick, and the glebe is 33A. 1R. 2P. The tithes have been commuted for £489 per annum. Here is a Free School, supported by subscription ; but having 2A. of land left by Edward Mark, in 1623, and now let for £4 4s. per annum.
Bennett William, schoolmaster & parish clerk
Horn James, farmer and vict. Lion
Parkinson Rev. William M.A. Rectory

FARMERS.
Cooper Charles Edmund, Hall
Cooper George Frederick
Kennett Richard, Wick Farm
Pertwee Thomas
Shearman Robert ; h Berechurch

Post from Colchester, daily.